Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

ohsix' House
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just don't use our microwave a ton. Occasionally 1x a day, sometimes 1-2x a week. 3+ years later, I've never needed to clean the thing.

I'm guessing Wes' family is similar in that regard. Also, this is a huge reason why we decided to hide the microwave in a cabinet. No need to see something 24-7 that we use somewhat infrequently.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would be willing a summary of things you learned, things you would do different would be awesome.

Wife and I are looking into building(really kind of dreading) and would love some fresh perspective. I certainly will be going the quality(methodical) contractor route as I also will plan on being in what we build for the foreseeable future.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's always a long list not matter what you do eeven73. I know for our kitchen reno we wished we would have added another small sink in the island and one more set of plug ins on the other side of the island... The electrical is easy enough to do, just been too lazy I guess.
eeven73

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and wasn't really thinking fine points(how many outlets, or where the kitchen should be, more overall dealing with whole process.
ohsix

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
If you would be willing a summary of things you learned, things you would do different would be awesome.

Wife and I are looking into building(really kind of dreading) and would love some fresh perspective. I certainly will be going the quality(methodical) contractor route as I also will plan on being in what we build for the foreseeable future.

There's not much I would change about the finished product. One thing that I think would have made the process much more efficient would be getting the house built as much as possible on paper. I started with an architect and he did a good job of helping with ideas and putting them on paper. The problem was every revision took 1-2 weeks. When we started construction, we had a floorplan and all the exterior elevations. We would make small changes while framing and it would take a week or two to get the new drawings. My builder, like most contractors, hated working with the architect and the builder and I made a decision to get rid of the architect. The builder and I communicated well and I didn't get many surprises from him, but there are definitely some things that would have been more efficient if they were on paper prior to building. We're still cutting textured, painted, and glazed sheetrock out for things like security cameras and powered drape wiring. To replace it, we have to get a guy to replace the sheetrock, another guy to texture, and a painter twice to paint and come back to glaze. Things like that get annoying and would have been accounted the first time if the entire house was built on paper prior to building.

We built this house with plans to keep it for a long time. I probably couldn't sell it for 70% of what I've spent on it, so I'm probably not the person to ask how to cost effectively build a house.

I walked through the house just about every single day I was in town while it was under construction. I may have missed a day or two a month, but for the most part I was able to see things as they were built and make changes if needed so I didn't get stuck with something I didn't want.

My house was built on a cost plus contract which I may could have negotiated better. A lot of our finishes were more expensive than they could have been. I can't imagine it was any tougher for the builder to contract a $130,000 roof versus a $30,000 roof, or $40,000 worth of windows instead of $15,000, more expensive granite, appliances, and things like that, but he made his percentage on all of it. If I had it to do over I probably would have tried to negotiate a lower percentage because of the more expensive finishes.
eeven73

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thank You.

We have been dinking around with an architect trying to get our wants on paper and I totally get your points here. So frustrating to discuss something, confirm it twice during discussion and then get something different on paper because of xyz that I usually don't care about.

Maybe I need a different architect. Laughing

Earlier you said he bid 1.3M and you were expecting +10% I think you said your deal was 14% so he got 160K for 18 months work, right? I don't think I would feel too bad about that.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, we're probably going to build as well. I asked ohsix almost the same questions on PM...LOL! I guess maybe it would have been more beneficial to put it out on this thread.
ohsix

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
^ Thank You.

We have been dinking around with an architect trying to get our wants on paper and I totally get your points here. So frustrating to discuss something, confirm it twice during discussion and then get something different on paper because of xyz that I usually don't care about.

Maybe I need a different architect. Laughing

Earlier you said he bid 1.3M and you were expecting +10% I think you said your deal was 14% so he got 160K for 18 months work, right? I don't think I would feel too bad about that.

I'm at $1.491M right now on construction only (not including architect, lot, etc.) and we should be pretty close to the end of construction costs. So far the builder has made $184,000 for his work, but he also owned the trash fence and later trailer which he made his rental fee on, plus his 14%, he had 2 carpenters do all the trim labor which he made something on top of their hourly billing, plus his 14% on, and he had 2 other general laborers which he made the same on. Plus, he had a couple of other houses going at the same time, so he's not starving. I'm fine with what I've paid him, but in hindsight I think I should have tried for 12-13% considering we could have built this house for a lot cheaper if we wanted to use cheaper finishes and it would have required about the same amount of effort.

I was actually really pleased with our architect except for his turnaround time. He was easy to work with, did a really good job of understanding our ideas and giving us good ideas when we didn't know what to do and he never really tried to force his ideas on us.
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off ... beautiful home ohsix. It turned out amazing.

ohsix wrote:
I walked through the house just about every single day I was in town while it was under construction.

Great advice here. We are currently in the process of building a new home, and this has come in handy as it has allowed us to catch and change a few minor things that looked fine on paper but would annoy us as built. It's a lot easier to address these things as they come up rather than after everything is complete.

Also, make sure that you have a GC/Builder who is very attentive to your project. I hear so many horror stories about new builds that are directly related to GC's running a project a bit too much on auto-pilot or not scheduling the trades correctly. We are using the same GC for this build as we did for our last and this is one of the many reasons why.
ohsix

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a 2nd dishwasher if you're considering it. In hindsight, I wish I had put in 2. We considered it, but thought we'd value the cabinet space more. We ended up with way more cabinet storage than we need and one on each side of the sink wouldn't have looked bad IMO.

After breakfast, our dishwasher is usually about 30% full so we don't usually run it. After dinner, it's 110% full and some things won't fit. We had some friends over for new year's eve and I think I ran the dishwasher 3 times yesterday.

One other thing I would change is taller garage doors. We went with 8'x18' doors and I wish I went with 9'x18'. Our garage ceilings are about 11' tall so there's a fair size gap between the doors and the roof line on the outside. I have a tallish motovan (my wife calls it a creeper van) that won't fit under the doors. I keep it at my shop typically, but it would be nice to have the option to park it inside when I have it at home.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy sheot that thing is awesome. May I suggest a different paint scheme though?

Very Happy

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix, Nice house glad you are finally moved in. The time frame is actually normal for revisions for Architects and Engineers. It generally takes us 1 week to a month get revisions done at my company. It is the nature of the beast. Out of curiosity how much did the Architect charge to design your plans?
ohsix

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vette74 wrote:
ohsix, Nice house glad you are finally moved in. The time frame is actually normal for revisions for Architects and Engineers. It generally takes us 1 week to a month get revisions done at my company. It is the nature of the beast. Out of curiosity how much did the Architect charge to design your plans?

My deal with the architect was $150/hour capped at 8% of construction cost. We used his contract which gave either of us the option to cancel with written notice. I was about $35,000 in on architect fees when we cancelled.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a fair hourly rate. We don't do a lot of homes like yours most charge by the SF here. However, most architects don't go into the detail of picking everything out before the house is built like y'all did typically that is handled during construction however you get more errors.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjaszkow wrote:
First off ... beautiful home ohsix. It turned out amazing.

ohsix wrote:
I walked through the house just about every single day I was in town while it was under construction.

Great advice here. We are currently in the process of building a new home, and this has come in handy as it has allowed us to catch and change a few minor things that looked fine on paper but would annoy us as built. It's a lot easier to address these things as they come up rather than after everything is complete.

Also, make sure that you have a GC/Builder who is very attentive to your project. I hear so many horror stories about new builds that are directly related to GC's running a project a bit too much on auto-pilot or not scheduling the trades correctly. We are using the same GC for this build as we did for our last and this is one of the many reasons why.

What things caught your attention? What level of house are you building, cost and amenities wise?

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, we moved the location of a couple of windows (reflected correctly on plans) and a slight adjustment to one of the rooflines (truss engineer made an unauthorized change that we were not happy with). Both relatively easy fixed since we identified them as issues immediately.

We aren't building a house nearly at the level of ohsix's place, but it is nice for the area and is completely custom. As to not totally hijack this thread, I can certainly describe it more in PM or another thread if you want more details.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as we prepare a few things for ours, I wanted to ask a question in this thread. I've never thought about the whole "wired" type house and never saw a real need for it. What are the different intents and purposes for all the networking and the dedicated "server" room? Can someone give me some key points or cliffs notes on it?
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to have to run ethernet or other cables to all those rooms after you have put up dry wall? The server room serves as a centralized point where all of your runs (rooms) would connect to a central location where your router or modem is.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the aspect of not running wire, but I'm trying to understand why you need it in every room. What uses are being planned for with wiring every room?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have to ask, you don't need it.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
if you have to ask, you don't need it.

This is a wise statement.

You only get one chance to wire the house the easy way. If I was building I'd want to cover all the angles and try to stay as future proof as possible. Multiple CAT6 drops per room, possibly multiple RG6 as well.

The cool thing about CAT6 (and 5/5e for that matter) is you can do so many things with it. For instance, it can be just a phone line, or it can be a network port, or you could get adapters to carry an HDMI signal, or you can use it to wire up a L-Pad for speakers, or even use it to wire in surveillance cameras. It's extremely versatile.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that makes a lot of sense. As it stands right now, we don't operate with rooms wired, but I can see the point in future potential. I know that wire isn't very expensive at all (we use it a lot for install projects at work), so it doesn't seem to be a big deal to add up front.
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
..I know that wire isn't very expensive at all (we use it a lot for install projects at work)...

In other words, "I can just steal some from work". Laughing
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, uh no.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wire my house but I don't think I would again. I ended up using just a single port and everything I do has gone wireless.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmballa, it's about flexibility. Being able to put a centralized video or audio system... Being able to string wireless access points around (especially in a large home like ohsix has)... Being able to put that Dish Network (or whatever) box in any room without worrying about wiring...

It's just one of those things where if you don't do it, you will likely regret it later.

I have a wireless cable box in a guest room now because the previous owners of my house cut a wire somewhere in the attic... let's just say that it is not optimal. Neutral

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on... So, you're saying that I could take one of my little hopper boxes, move it to my server closet, and send that one signal out to different rooms if I am all Cat 6'd in my house??

I am new to all of the home networking / home automation stuff.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, with the right equipment, yes. You'd need some way to split or switch the signals, but it can be done.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011308&p_id=8160&seq=1&format=2

ohsix

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
Hang on... So, you're saying that I could take one of my little hopper boxes, move it to my server closet, and send that one signal out to different rooms if I am all Cat 6'd in my house??

I am new to all of the home networking / home automation stuff.

All of my TVs are hooked to Cat6. There's a small box on the back of each TV with a Cat6 input and HDMI output to the TV. I have an 8x8 matrix switch in my audio video rack that can take 8 different inputs (I only have 4 to the TVs) and put any of the 8 inputs on any 8 displays (I only have 4 TVs). Here are some screenshots of my remote control program:

Select a TV

Select a video source (I'm not sure why the security cameras are outside the box with the other 3 sources)

In this case I sleected a cable box/Tivo and here is my remote:
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fantastic.

For goofy's purposes, he could do a "dumb" version which just used the HDMI to ethernet splitter I showed, then leverage the UHF remotes that come with the Dish equipment and just put the remote in the room where he wants to control the TV.

I love the idea of centralizing all A/V and networking equipment into one place like Wes has. If I was building a home, this would be a priority. Get all that equipment put away nice and neat, and all you see in each room is a neatly mounted HDTV and a remote.

Technically I could already do this with the wiring already in my house (cat5e drops to at least one location per room) but I'd have to take up space in my closet which would be a non-starter with the significant other. Laughing

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing the kitchen cabinets open, so forgive me if I've missed that. Did they paint inside the cabinets as well as outside?
ohsix

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
I don't recall seeing the kitchen cabinets open, so forgive me if I've missed that. Did they paint inside the cabinets as well as outside?

They are painted inside but not glazed.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.

How do you like all the can lights? and, are they wired up in zones?

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am big on having everything wired and as automated as possible. My previous home had all audio / video in a central location (utility room) with every source accessible from every location within the house. Was really nice, if we wanted to have the game on, we could have sound and video on in every room. If we wanted to watch different things in different rooms, that worked too. Having Cat5e cable to every location made it really easy to backhaul HDMI and IR to the utility room.

As others have mentioned in this thread, it's MUCH easier to put the wires in while the walls and ceiling are open versus when everything has been closed. I actually wish that I had network in some of the closets of the last house to place WiFi AP's.

The new home will have a bit more automation. Watch TV in the living room (with all of the east facing windows) in the morning ... hit a single button on the phone or remote, and blinds close, certain lights come on and the TV starts. Same thing in the afternoon and the blinds stay open, lights stay off and TV starts.
ohsix

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
OK.

How do you like all the can lights? and, are they wired up in zones?

I suppose I like them. I still have the electrician coming back to change what switches control which lights. Some of the original switches didn't make much sense. I bet we have one switch for every 2 can lights. There are 4 can lights in the hallway, and 4 3-way switches to those lights. There is 1 can light over the wet bar and 2 3-way switches to that light. There are 2 can lights in the area that accesses the wet bar, laundry room, game room, and dining room with 3 3-way switches to them. I think we went a little overboard on 3-way switches, but I haven't found a place yet that I want to add a switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Add To Favorites

Jump to: