Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

wow times have changed.. need help buying new wakeboard???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackdean101

City: RSM

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: wow times have changed.. need help buying new wakeboard??? Reply with quote

I used to wakeboard back in the 90's and just now started wakeboarding again. I think its time to give up my old 1997 Sage.. lol

I can clear the wake but want something to give me more pop. The goal is to start going inverted. I am 6' tall and weigh 210 lbs. I am not too concerned about price... $300 - $500. I was thinking I would buy a 2012 model. Your toughts?

My 9 year old also needs a new board. He can cross the wake and will probably start jumping soon. Any suggestions there? He is about 70" tall and almost 70 lbs.

Thanks again!!!
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackdean101, Any of the major board companies will treat you well. Hyperlite, Liquid Force, CWB, Slingshot, Ronix, etc. Check websites like boardstop for closeout deals and you can probably find a great 2012 sale combo with boots and a board for a reasonable price. Any modern board (last 3 years) will ride incredibly well compared to what you're used to.

There are kids-sized boards out there from I think Hyperlite and LF. Again, take a look at the bundles and see if you can get a good deal (or check out craigslist locally). He'll probably outgrow the setup in a few years anyway so no sense in investing in something more expensive unless you want something brand new.

One of the biggest advancements you're going to see is bindings. They're worlds apart from the way things used to be even 6 years ago or so. Closed-toe reigns supreme and no need for boot lube! Laughing Just about any modern boot (again, last 3 years or so) is going to be amazingly comfortable, just shop by your shoe size and you shouldn't have any problems.

It's really hard to recommend a board specifically without any information in what you're looking for. I'd take a look through closeouts online or at your local shop to narrow-down what you're thinking about getting and then maybe some of us could offer advice from there.
jackdean101

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I am looking forward to riding the new style boards. Any other suggested websites? There really isn't much for board shops in orange county.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardstop.com, buywake.com, evo.com, and perfski.com are all great online shops and carry quality gear.
jackdean101

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your help... I found a 2012 Hyperlite Marek Wakeboard 140 online for $200 no boots.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I haven't been on one of those but have seen them around. Let us know how she rides!
BrtnDan
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 2012 Marek
jackdean101

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried a 2006 liquid force substance board... it road great... very poppy. Hard to believe a 7 year old board could ride so well.

I only use the board to jump the wake. What is the lightest board with the most pop. I am looking for big air. Looking for a 2011 or 2012...
jackdean101

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried a 2006 liquid force substance board... it road great... very poppy. Hard to believe a 7 year old board could ride so well.

I only use the board to jump the wake. What is the lightest board with the most pop. I am looking for big air. Looking for a 2011 or 2012...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: