Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

One of those need help w/ a board and bindings question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBPunk

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: One of those need help w/ a board and bindings question... Reply with quote

I figure this would be a good spot to come and say hi and also ask for some advice on a setup that I really need.

Little bit of back story:
Back when I was in middle school and high school I used to compete at the intermediate level which was about 10 years ago. I could throw down tantrums and the whirlybird 360 like no one's business. Then one fateful session, I hit an underwater branch and waved buh-bye to my ACL.

I tried to get back on the horse, but never could get away from the nagging pain, so I got into pro paintball for a couple years until I joined the military.

Flash forward to now:
Got out of the military, and finally got everything back together.

I have a 134 LF Rhythm from way back in 2002 w/ CWB mobe bindings. I used it all last season. The board still gets some pretty solid pop, but my bum knee is having problems absorbing the landings and the board likes to catch the edge. I figure that this is probably because I have gained about 65lbs and grown 4" since I got this setup. Also, I attribute this to being older and not having parts that work as well as they used to. I was able to clear the wake without any problems, and if I could nail the landing, pull a 360.

I know that I will probably never get back to where I used to be. I just enjoy the being on the water and the rush of getting air.

I have been reading up on new boards and bindings. 10 years is a TON to catch up on. I have been seeing that 3-stage and continuous rockers have been merged into the hybrids which I think would be a solid choice for me. I have also seen that there are "V" shaped cuts that help cushion landings.

Binding tech has me all sorts of blown away. I have always been used to the slop of what bindings were back then. I think that a more secure fit might help me out a little bit. I will be the only person riding this board so I was going to look at a closed toe option.

I would like to stick with LF for the board as I have never had a problem with any of their boards that I have ridden. There will be no rails ridden with this board. Im behind a boat all the way.

Bindings, to me with what I am coming from, I think just about everything would be an upgrade lol. The Ronix bindings look really solid.

What do you guys think would be a solid setup?
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with any of the LF pro models or the witness . I really like the Watson and S4. I know allot of people that love the Watson shape, I ride a S4 behind the boat. It has extra inner fins for a really locked in feel, the Watson is a little bit loser and has removable fins. All comes down to personal preference. Behind the boat i like to charge the wake, if i want to just cruise around and do surface tricks I'll break out my cable board (slingshot recoil). As for bindings I absolutely love Ronix bindings, I personally ride the Ronix Cells on my cable setup. They are more comfortable then my LF soven bindings and its not even close.

So I'd say go with a Watson with Ronix bindings. Which model binding will depend on how stiff you want them. Also look at online sites and pick up last seasons gear. This will save you some cash and there really isn't any difference in last year to this years gear.

Maybe a setup like this

2012 LF Watson
http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards/liquid-force-watson-wakeboard-2012.aspx#image=62303/299185/liquid-force-watson-wakeboard-2012.jpg

2012 Ronix One Bindings
http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/ronix-one-2012.aspx#image=52151.Color.Hardgoods_BlackCaffeinatedRed_Image.jpg[/url]
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BigBadWolfe's advice. I personally really like the LF Witness behind the boat since it just matches my riding style so well but all of those decks are solid.

Ronix bindings all the way though. No doubt there.
PBPunk

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at the Watson and it looks really solid! But what's the difference between between the standard Watson, classic, the hybrid, and the hybrid ltd?

I see that the hybrids give more flex, but does that take away from riding behind a boat vs at a park? I did a quick search and I have seen a couple of debates from a few years back where it was a 50/50 of if you got more, less or equal pop. I didn't see anything recent so is there really any pro/con? If the regular Watson is the winner, would there be much (if any) difference between the 2011 and 2012 other than graphics?

Lastly, with the bindings, those look like they would do the job! Are there any others to compare them to, or are they the creme de la creme?
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difference between the Watson classic and the hybrid is that the classic has a foam core and the hybrid is a foam wood stringer mix. The hybrid is made to flex so you can press on sliders, no real benefit for behind the boat. The ltd just adds a more durable base for hitting obstacles. All Ronix pro bindings are top notch in my opinion and you can't go wrong with any of them. The ones that I linked are very popular and are on the stiffer side but not the stiffest. All comes down to preferences, but allot of people love the Ronix Ones
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes graphics are the only change
christianjb1985

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree I think the LF Watson is an awesome board, however I'm not so sure that with your pain it is the best option.
Perhaps the Watson Hybrid.

I would recommend a Hybrid, with a wood core. Aim for something with a lot of flex that should absorb the landings. I've been meaning to try a Slingshot Reflex. Hybrid board made totally from wood.
No idea what the ride is like, reviews seem positive and heard only good things about slingshot boards mostly. Although the ride might be a little more slippery than LF Watson, and less pop. I'd adapt and protect your knees as a priority, especially if you still feel pain boarding.

Don't go blow a bunch of funds on high end bindings. Keep in mind if they don't release in a big fall you could do more damage. Intermediate range things are marginly looser than most pro gear, but release a little easier in my experience. As long as sizing is right and they release well under pressure I wouldn't be picky. Except stay to main brands for longevity.
Although I dislike most CWB gear. I use CWB Vapor bindings, Velco straps that all release, heel locks to get in and out of easily. I love them. But just get what feels comfy.

Finally, I'm sure you've looked at it. A few pro's use them regularly. But the wakeboarding leg braces are pretty stable and strong by the looks.
Personally I'd use one.

Reason why I'm so focused on your knees, I have friends with serious knee damage and they have trouble walking. Forget wakeboarding or running. You will never forgive yourself if you jump on a stiff board, no brace and bindings that lock your legs in, then have a fall. OUCH
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flex boards don't soften landings. I ride a S4 (snaped it in half two weeks ago behind the boat) and a Slingshot Recoil and there is no difference in the landing impact. BTW hybrids are not completely wood cores, they are a mix of wood and foam, hence the term "hybrid". True flex boards are all wood core, Slingshot for example

I also completely disagree on your stance on bindings. They shouldn't eject on crashes. Ejecting one foot is a really good way to hurt yourself badly
christianjb1985

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ridden a true flex boards as I mentioned, but want to try a slingshot. Only a couple of hybrids, and understand most have mixed core. But hybrid is mostly in relation to rocker design.
I tend to think the hybrids land a lot softer than a traditional board.
I'm not the greatest wakeboarder and only been doing it a little over 2 years, but ride almost weekly.
If I was a better rider maybe I would absorb landings better and not notice between boards. But definitely think a hybrid lands softer, in this case probably the core.
As I would imagine the flatter spot in the middle would be worse than a 3 stage in terms of impact.

And I've seen my friend dislocate his knee from bindings not ejecting.
After speaking to his physio, he could do groin muscle damage from ejecting one foot. But not ejecting did damage that will never recover completely.
Most bindings are literally designed to eject under severe force.

Maybe speak to your physio rather than us hahahaha

And find a store that will let you try before you buy.
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hybrid rockers are referred to as abrupt continous or mellow 3 stage, the word hybrid as in "Watson hybrid" refers to a wood stringer and foam core, not the rocker type. You might be getting you're terminology mixed up.

We will just have to agree to disagree on ejecting. I have seen a person fully eject and the board split their head open requiring staples. I also have a friend that only ejected one foot and the board turns into a huge lever, he destroyed his mcl and acl. The potential to put a huge amount of stress on one knee by partial ejecting and having a lever attached IMHO is a much bigger risk then not ejecting. It's just simple physics, but to each their own
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBadWolfe wrote:
We will just have to agree to disagree on ejecting. I have seen a person fully eject and the board split their head open requiring staples. I also have a friend that only ejected one foot and the board turns into a huge lever, he destroyed his mcl and acl. The potential to put a huge amount of stress on one knee by partial ejecting and having a lever attached IMHO is a much bigger risk then not ejecting. It's just simple physics, but to each their own

I'm in this camp as well. I'd much rather be locked in than have my knee twisted apart or my femur twisted to pieces. There's people on both sides of the argument but I'd think the majority would say you want a comfortable, well-fitting boot that's snug but not restricting/painful. Ronix goes by shoe-size and those sizes usually hold true to your actual shoe size, go with that recommendation.

If we're talking hybrid rockers, in theory those should land a little softer than a true 3-stage (a continuous being the softest for landing in the flats but aren't as popular now a days due to the performance of hybrid rockers).

As far a flex vs. non-flex, a lot of it is in technique. If you're used to riding a flex board I hear you can make landings buttery soft, but I personally haven't had enough time behind a boat with my watson hybrid (firm flex) to make that work and found landings to be a little rough when I ride it in the same way that I ride my Witness behind the boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: