Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Standing Desk - The One Year Update!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Standing Desk - The One Year Update! Reply with quote

Any of you guys/gals done this?

Seriously pondering a "hybrid" arrangement with an adjustable desk and stool that I can lift to stand or drop to sit. The stool would be there to lean on at times or sit on when needed.

In any event, I got to get off my ass it's killing me.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006

Last edited by chavez on May 09, 2014 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desk is adjustable with one lever... so for a couple of hours a week when I get sick of sitting I just move my chair aside and make it a standing desk. I can see how people do it full time, but I haven't done that yet.

F*ck my life is boring
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setups I've done in offices end up being used a couple of times and then never adjusted to standing mode again. The ones I've done in open seating areas like trade floors are a big hit. There seems to be a certain social\team communication aspect to it that keeps it a useful alternative.

If you are alone in an office, its nothing more than the exercise ball fad. If your out on the floor, it really does seem to work well for the group.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

Talked to the folks at Ergodepot, and they recommended a couple of pieces. I told them I'd like to stand as much as possible, but would like to lean at times and sit others. So they suggested pieces that would accommodate both.

Desk, mine would be a larger version of this:

Chair/stool:

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely isn't an excercise ball thing. It's a I've got to get off my ass and move thing. If I can't really go take a walk I've at least gotta stand. Can't work at all while standing now other than chatting on the phone. Trying to find a happy medium with the right equipment.

Where did you source the stuff Jason?

pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a standing desk for my accountant uncle, which I think he uses for meetings with clients. Pretty neat but I stand all day and hate it, so not for me. His is not adjustable though.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
It's definitely isn't an excercise ball thing. It's a I've got to get off my ass and move thing. If I can't really go take a walk I've at least gotta stand. Can't work at all while standing now other than chatting on the phone. Trying to find a happy medium with the right equipment.

It really does work if you can make yourself use it. There is alot of comfort kicking back in your HM chair. you dont realize it til you try to stand. Young guys on the floor are always breaking each others balls if they dont so it works. The guys in the office have no accountability, LOL!

Remember, I work for the BORG, Corporate Workplace sources that stuff, and contractors assemble it. I just make sure we have the tech (phones, computers, etc) where it works with the setup. I can tell you ours are on sealed hydraulic\pneumatic lifts.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr wrote:
chavez wrote:

It really does work if you can make yourself use it. There is alot of comfort kicking back in your HM chair. you dont realize it til you try to stand. Young guys on the floor are always breaking each others balls if they dont so it works. The guys in the office have no accountability, LOL!

Remember, I work for the BORG, Corporate Workplace sources that stuff, and contractors assemble it. I just make sure we have the tech (phones, computers, etc) where it works with the setup. I can tell you ours are on sealed hydraulic\pneumatic lifts.

I've spent a week straight of 8+ hour days in HM Aerons and I was no better or worse off for it. I liked them, but they weren't as great as I was hoping when I walked in on Monday for a weeks worth of meetings. Don't get me wrong, they were nice, but not $800 nice.

The desk I linked is on a electric lift with a 275lb capacity. No exposed parts. The stool is pneumatic of course, but the control is hidden in the seat pan. I am intrigued, because I was originally very interested in this: http://www.focaluprightfurniture.com/ but the desk portion of that system was nowhere near large enough for me. The seat that was recommended and the one from Focal are quite similar.

Have any of the desks you've helped set up use anything like I've linked?

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had it at my last job. I would stand a couple of hours in the morning and a couple in the afternoon. I miss having the option.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, similar. looks like the new ones in our cat have electric options. http://www.anthro.com/

odd, Ive never set one up with a stool.

I like the HM chairs we have. It sux when I have to park it somewhere for a while that doesnt have them.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr, Anthro has cool stuff, but they are way overpriced. My guess is the corpo buyers aren't really pinching the pennies though so why not!

Don't get me wrong on the HM chairs - they are nice - but I didn't see them being 600$ nicer than some of the "Costco special" chairs around here.

I'm really really curious to get my ass on the Muvman stool. Blurring the line between full sit and full stand is appealing as hell to me. Seems like I should get the best of both.

Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into these as well. I'd have to drop well over a K to get what I wanted though. Seems like a lot of coin.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhawn, today's subtotal: $1500 Laughing

RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread came to mind yesterday when my wife told me she dropped $1800 on this electric adjustable desk for when she works from home. She does a lot of contracting for Chevron and they are BIG on ergonomics. Her desk/chair at the office is way more comfortable she says, so she decided to splurge for the home office. I can't wait to see the $800 chair that goes with it... Rolling Eyes (better massage your back for that coin, lol) Guess it's cheaper than carpal tunnel surgery though, so I'll just STFU while I'm ahead. Smile

http://www.ergodepot.com/Humanscale_Float_Adjustable_Height_Table_p/hsfloat.htm

RIP M.H.Legge
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RampageWake, ask her why she chose the Float over the other offerings at ErgoDepot. That's where I bought from - I chose their AD127HD over the Float - I didn't see what benefit the Humanscale unit gave over their in house stuff other than not having a cross brace between the legs.

Do you know which chair she chose?

Oh, and FWIW, $800 is about where the HM Aeron stuff starts, so it's not that outrageous of a price in the world of ergonomic office furniture.

RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, I really didn't know if that's the actual desk she chose when I posted, it just looked similar to the desks at Chevron and was ~1800 so I posted the link to it. What she actually got was this SteelCase desk, as it is the same one she has at the office and knows she likes it:

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/tables/adjustable/series7/pages/overview.aspx

and this SteelCase Leap chair:

http://www.amazon.com/Steelcase-Leap-Fabric-Chair-Black/dp/B006H1QYBA

RIP M.H.Legge
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelcase stuff is awesome. My desk/furniture at the office now is all Steelcase - circa 1982! It looks and performs as good as new.

I'm keeping one of the two Steelcase desks and the matching credenza. My boss and his dad bought Steelcase chairs at the same time too - and they still freaking use them! Although my boss' chair is getting pretty ratty these days, he just won't give it up.

Anyhow, if that's not an endorsement of Steelcase equipment I don't know what is.

I've seen that Leap chair in places and it looks pretty damn slick.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much input on the standing desk, but wanted to comment on Steelcase. That's some good stuff! I've worked with them in manufacturing and welding automation processes in a previous job and they definitely take quality very seriously.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I built for my office. I built six of them as well as the conference table below. I didn't weld them, just designed them and built the tops. The Table are on casters and about 38 inches at the top. They are pretty masculine but people love them.

Building a pretty sick bar in the office where you see the white pipe in the first photo with beer tapper, sink, and refrigerator as well. Will be similar design.

IMG_0277.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  50.08 KB
 Viewed:  39792 Time(s)

IMG_0276.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  45.87 KB
 Viewed:  39792 Time(s)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much talk about steel case. I'm actually working on closing a deal to one of their divisions right now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmballa, those look awesome. Masculine or not, it looks way clean and modern.

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in need of a new chair at my job, our company won't buy us new ones. Can steelcase be found in stores anywhere and do they offer any type of warranty/gurantee? I'd hate to spend $300+ on a chair and have it crap out on me after a year.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Steelcase:

Quote:
SEATING
12 years
Mechanisms, pneumatic cylinders, arm caps, foam, casters and glides, Max-Stacker®, Max-Stacker® II, Domino, wood frame side chairs, tablet arms, Nurture recliner components and optional accessories other than internal structure
5 years
Nurture recliner, sleeper and central locking and trendelenburg mechanisms and associated levers and pedals, Nurture heat and massage units

I'm sure there is an office furniture store somewhere in your area that has Steelcase.

And if you chair is really worn out, they should be getting you a new one. That's a "modern-day" workers comp claim brewing...

nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1 wrote:
I'm in need of a new chair at my job, our company won't buy us new ones. Can steelcase be found in stores anywhere and do they offer any type of warranty/gurantee? I'd hate to spend $300+ on a chair and have it crap out on me after a year.

There is a huge market for second hand office chairs, especially steel case. I typically use OFR. http://www.ofr-inc.com/. If you want to drop the money get a Aeron. Damn sexy chair.

Edit: I just called a office chair sexy. Man I'm getting old. Embarassed

nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
nmballa, those look awesome. Masculine or not, it looks way clean and modern.

I'm going to be building several end tables, a large bar, and some shelving in similar design for the office.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My project is underway. Moving furniture this solid/heavy suuuucks. Evil or Very Mad

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, done. Pic is a little jagged - photosynth ain't perfect.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 03, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've gone 7 working days with the new desk.

The first 3 days were a little brutal on my ankles. Since then, it's been pretty damn good.

I do "sit" (more like lean on the edge of the stool) for a little bit here and there, but the overwhelming majority of the time I'm on my feet. I tend to move/fidget quite a bit to keep the load balanced between both my legs. I definitely favor the right, but that's expected. The times I do "sit" I also am moving a bit, which is easy because the Muvman stool is on a ball pivot which really makes it a lot like sitting on an exercise ball.

I adjust my desk a few times a day, even slightly. I find that this mixes up the ergonomics a bit and makes me not get too static in one position.

My back feels great.

I am a bit on the tired side when I do get home, but every day this has gotten better.

Oddly enough, I find that I'm using the bathroom a little bit more. Confused

I definitely am better focused while standing. It seems easier to stay on task and I feel more engaged in what I am doing.

When I take calls, I typically pace. Obviously I have a wireless headset.

We'll see where this all goes. As of right now I don't see myself wanting to sit back down, but time will tell.

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Wilmington, Delaware

PostPosted: May 04, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chavez,

That's the stuff. Been looking at these for years and I am stepping up this year for sure.

http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-lh-new-stand-up-desks-photos-0120803,0,671595.photogallery

Some other options.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 month update: STILL STANDING

No really, still rocking it. No chance I go back to sitting down unless I am sick or just tired.

What I've found:

1) a mat (gel/foam, whatever) is a must-have.
2) back pain is gone
3) I feel more focused when I am working on a project. Could be placebo, but it seems to be due to standing.
4) I pace/move when I am on a phone call and don't need my computer.
5) I occasionally move it up or down just to make my posture/stance change
6) I sit at lunch. It's about the only time I sit during the work day anymore.
7) I don't feel as tired now when I get home compared to the first few weeks. Its the opposite - I actually feel like I have more energy.
Cool having conversations with people in my office feels more natural now. It always felt weird to talk to people when I am sitting and they were standing. Far less awkward now.

For me, this is a winner. Everyone is different, so this might not work for some. But I am loving it and can't imagine going back to sitting.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 09, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my one year update:

I'm still standing at my desk.
I had to take a break from it after a surgery I had back in October, but that break was very short-lived.
I sit when I first get here in the morning for about an hour. Then I'm up until lunch, then up for the rest of the day.
I feel WAY more focused working this way.
I use my stool far less often than I thought I would. Realistically, I barely use it.
I find myself looking to stand more at home, and while out. I just don't mind standing in places where I'd usually sit.
My motorized desk is a lot happier now that I got a rMBP instead of that honking Dell Precision Workstation that I used to have.

I don't see me ever going back to sitting. This has worked out far better than I could have imagined. I think my only downside is when people see it and want to talk about it forever.

eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez,

I am interested in making the switch.

I like your setup, It is unclear to me which you actually went with. little help?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ErgoDepot setup.

The base is the ErgoDepot AD127HD with the 78x39 cutout top. I just priced it on their site and it comes to $969 delivered.

http://www.ergodepot.com/Ergo_Depot_adjustable_desk_AD127HD_p/ad127hd.htm

They have many other choices on frames and tops. It's a semi-custom setup: pick your frame then pick your top and features.

When the stuff arrives, it's flat packed. Assembly is very easy - pretty much just phillips heads and allen wrench.

I like my Muvman stool, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably have gotten a Locus or Hag setup. I only use my stool when I get fatigued - most days it's just off to the side of my desk.

Shoot me any other questions ya got. Happy to answer.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've had the stand up option for our desks for 2 years now? I don't think I've ever raised mine.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like my Muvman stool, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably have gotten a Locus or Hag setup.

Why? trying to make decision myself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: