Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How many hours is to many on indmar motor??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgb1974

City: Cincy

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: How many hours is to many on indmar motor?? Reply with quote

Trying to pick up a v-drive on a budget and was wondering how many hours on original engine would be to many?? I have no problem doing any mechanical work myself but I don't want to pay $15k to $20k for something I need to pull the motor after one season.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think anything over 150.000 hours is to many, I just wouldn't buy it.

But seriously, there's no way of saying what is "too many". If it hasn't been maintained, 100 can be too many. If it's maintained meticulously, 2000 doesn't have to be too many. Many rather buy a boat that's been used >100 hours/year than one with 100 hours over 20 years. With a good reason.
So, try to get an idea of how the boat has been maintained. Through records, but also just look at overall shape of the boat. If that looks neglected, odds are technical maintenance has also been neglected.
To give an idea: many engines need a rebuild around 1500 hours. But you also see engines with 500 hours that have already been rebuilt. And engines with 2500 that are still all original.

Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgb1974, Flyzone makes some great points.

I am an Indmar dealer so will be upfront about that. The transmissions are generally good for circa 4000 hours of normal use, but the motors can do anything from a few hundred where terribly maintained and neglected, all the way up to thousands and thousands.

We have customers who clock up 950 trouble free hours a year, and others who have older boats with 2,000 hours on and no issues. Equally, we have boats that have 350 hours and are full of gremlins.

Look for solid service records and have the motor inspected, there's not much that can't be fixed and realistically, most of the repairs are cheap (heck a new long block is only a few thousand!)... But a boat that has been used regularly, and maintained well would be what I'd be hunting... the hours are very much secondary to that! Don't be scared of any number of hours so long as the motor checks out.

Mike

JRW160
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntsville

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 hours seems to be the mark where people start getting wary and resale drops off. It's hard to get a real perspective on the history of the boat. Anything over 500 hours or so, I would try to get a compression and/or leakdown test to get a better feel for the health of the engine.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRW160, I agree. Though this also means there are some bargains to be had in the form of high hour, well maintained boats.

The use of your ears, compression tester, and a decent lake test will tell you the vast majority of what you need to know Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: