Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sponsorships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dofarmer15

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Sponsorships Reply with quote

Hey can anyone out there help me get some help with trying to get some sponsorships? Anything helps I appreciate it.

Thank you
Dion Oakes
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure how to get a sponsorship, just keep riding and keep progressing as much as you can. Get to the level where when people watch you ride, they are amazed at how good you are and enter into some local competitions to get your name out there. If you're good enough, eventually sponsors will want to put their products under your feet. Good Luck!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some threads about this before, do a search.
In short; yes be a good rider, but also be a good representative for the sport and the companies. Help out at events/stores, meet people, try to send clients to the store/brand/event/etc.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyZone CR wrote:
... be a good representative for the sport and the companies. Help out at events/stores, meet people, try to send clients to the store/brand/event/etc.

This is extremely important. Make yourself valuable. I've known people to not be insanely good riders, but they put in the time both on and off the water and it really pays off. Unless you're winning a bunch of local tournaments and getting your name out there, it's going to be hard to be valuable to a company. But, if you ride well and are constantly a good influence on your local wake community, you can definitely make something happen. You'll be more of a rep/rider, but unless you're SUPER good, it's the best way to get your foot in the door.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to be the douche world champ that gets ditched by a major company and has to 'buy' his way into sponsorship by a smaller company. Twisted Evil
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyZone CR, you can be the douche's little brother that everyone loves
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st option. dion start at your local shop. Go and help for demo days. Go and ride if they need some riders for an event. If you become someone that the shop looks for everytime they need a wakeboarders for lessons and other wakeboarder things then the reps will start to notice you and that will be your first way into getting some flow gear..

2nd option. be some super rider that can beat Harley Clifford on the pro tour and then you can get all the gear and money you can spend.

1st option is normally the path that most take..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdickman4 wrote:
FlyZone CR, you can be the douche's little brother that everyone loves

Yes that's a much better idea.

holdsworth
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way sponsorships work isn't about what they can do for you, it's what you can do for them. Businesses run by selling product and riders who are sponsored are that business's public advertising. The rider does what he or she loves and provides a positive image for the brand in order to persuade more people to buy the represented product. Sponsorships are not about how well you ride, it's how well you promote. If you're a great rider but not competing, putting videos online, or doing photoshoots, you're not going to be keeping that sponsor at all since all you're doing is bringing in free product. What you put in, you get out. Put in the work, be an all-around positive image, and promote a brand, shop, or whatever else, and you will receive what you deserve. Don't try to find a sponsorship, connect with people and work to earn it.
liquidforce519
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a really good video.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: