Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2013 NCAA Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good foundation.

If the results on the field don't follow(coaching, talent and some luck) the drill sgt. routine gets real tired.

Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: ATL

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
have to say, after reading this, i kinda got a stiffy working. think i'm going to like this strong dude.

Quote:
Strong and his coaches met with the team and outlined their expectations. He followed that with individual meetings with key players and 2014 seniors. The meeting was "very intense", but there was no yelling or drill sergeant act. No theater. Just a detailing of how things are going to be from now on. No one was thanked for being there. No one was patted on the back for being at Texas.

Strong expectations:

*Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.
*No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.
*If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.
*No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.
*Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.
*The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.
*There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.
*Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.
*The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.
*Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.
*"I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Some quick context and thoughts of my own:
- A large number of sophomore, junior, and senior players live off of campus. They get a generous housing allowance and if they live somewhere cheap, they can pocket the difference. The other appeal is that they have a lot more freedom and they can get away from the watchful eye of the program. Strong thinks it undermines the team, causes underutilization of training resources, encourages players to hang out with old friends who want to drag them down, and creates cliques. Off campus rights will now be earned.
- Some of Strong's core values may seem incongruous ("no guns") with the current team or historical culture here, but Louisville generally recruited from an edgier crowd. We do have some knuckleheads though - and the larger message of not acting like a clown is important.
- Some of the players still don't understand that Strong's message was specifically to them. Brown's last years were focused on talking about things with no follow up. He was also absent from the team constantly and had little read on the mood or culture of the locker room. Some players may still be under the impression that this is more chatter with no follow through. They're in for a rude awakening. Their bad habits are about to be brought to light.
- We'll have some transfers. Some of them will be good players - some may even excel elsewhere. Any school teacher will tell you it's easy to start the year as a harsh disciplinarian and then ease up as you gain trust, but it's nearly impossible to start weak and then try to regain control. Some players simply won't be able to handle the new world.

With leadership like this Texas is going to be in beast mode. I wish UGAs coach actually wanted to win football games as much as he wanted to win the players as friends and win the alumni with politics.

Good job Texas! I will watch and see if this guy can pull it off...

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty cool map showing where college players come from

http://mode.github.io/blog/2014-01-16-football-hometowns/index.html
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotta - looks like your bears are taking a look at 2 of the longhorns best defensive coaches. dc greg robinson and db duane akina. if you get both of those guys, your defense will get better immediately.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JV wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what makes Saban a POS? I've always thought of him as another egotistical curmudgeon in the ilk of Belichick (and most successful coaches, it seems), who's probably way different behind closed doors with his players. Is there something I'm missing? Alleged recruiting violations? Bullying? Surely, he's not as downright hypocritical and dbaggy as Urb right?

recent update on saban oversigning:

Quote:
With National Signing Day just around the corner (February 5th, mark your calendars), I have seen many questions that follow the same theme: "How many players can we sign? How do our roster numbers look given the size of this class? etc." Given the interest in the subject, I thought it only makes sense to consolidate all of this information in a single piece, rather than have the answers spread out in the comment sections of various articles.

Let's start off with the more pressing question: How many players can we sign? The short answer is 26-27 is probably our limit. Any more than that, and you are looking at asking a current commit to greyshirt (delay enrollment and not sign on national signing day). To be honest though, this question is murky (as evidenced by the two number estimate on our limit). This is because both the SEC and NCAA "25-man" rules have a lot of workarounds (backcounting, greyshirting, etc.). For a more concrete analysis (and the real focus of this piece), we'll move on to the next question.

How do our roster numbers look given the size of this class?

The short answer here? Not great. NCAA bylaw 15.5.6.1 sets the scholarship limit at 85. There is a small work-around here with walk on athletes, but at present, there's really only one player that we know of that this applies to (Jai Miller). Let's establish our baseline by noting that last March we showed that Bama was almost certainly using every available slot in the 85-man roster. So with 85 as our baseline, here are the numbers of players we lost since the season ended:

- 7 fifth year seniors

- 5 fourth year seniors

- 5 guys that declared early for the draft

- 2 scholarship transfers (LaMichael Fanning and Alvin Kamara) (Luke Del Rio doesn't count in this discussion, as he was a walk on)

That totals up to a total loss of 19 guys. We already have 24 commitments, and for the sake of this analysis, we'll assume that Bama will end up signing the "full" class of 27 possible. That means if we signed all 27 today, the roster would be eight guys too big. Factor in Coker coming in in the fall, and that number jumps to nine too big. So where will those open slots come from?

Bama has two guys on roster that are not starters but have degrees in hand - Anthony Orr and Wilson Love. Given they have their degrees, I would expect their careers may be over. That leaves seven more slots, and this is where things get tough. We do have a glut at running back and quarterback, so I could see us losing one more at each spot possibly. Alec Morris at QB is probably the most likely of anyone on the roster to transfer at this point, I would think, and while I would guess Tyren Jones would be the most likely running back to transfer, it would surprise me for him to make that move.

So here's the final tally - if we sign 27 (and they all qualify academically), Bama will basically have to cut seven guys that don't have their degrees yet. I want to emphasize that there really isn't any wiggle room here. No amount of backcounting/sleight of hand helps with these final numbers. Unless some of the 16 unenrolled current commits are going to take a greyshirt (and not sign on national signing day), those slots will have to come from the current roster.

I'm not really going to speculate further on who those seven players might be, as that doesn't really seem fair to them, but I will pose the question to you all - what do you think about this? How does this sit with you all? I've been a vocal opponent of the oversigning.com crowd for a while, but to be honest, when the numbers start to get this loose, our position starts to creep towards being untenable.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2014/1/27/5349996/2014-roster-lookahead-the-number-crunch

as far as counting towards last year's class, bama signed 25, 26, 23, 26 the last 4 years, so i doubt they have any ability to back-count.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/01/29/0129-hermans-tale-of-travel.html

I think OSU's OC Tom Herman has taken the early lead for recruiter of the year. He had a hell of a time in Atlanta yesterday!

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herman was our oc when we made the final four in 2005. if i win the big ass lottery and go boone pickens, he's coming back to be our head coach.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
jt09, What are your thoughts on Patterson?

kinda hate him now. made 2 good hires in the 2 big sports, but is pissing off everyone he possibly can w/ ticket prices / renewal policies.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The renewal policies really screw folks that have had tickets for a long, long time - even through the years when you could get an enzone ticket for $5 at HEB.
I wish we could get an AD that cared about the game day atmosphere. It has gone downhill starting with getting the godzillatron.

eeven73

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
eeven73 wrote:
jt09, What are your thoughts on Patterson?

kinda hate him now. made 2 good hires in the 2 big sports, but is pissing off everyone he possibly can w/ ticket prices / renewal policies.

I thought about digging this up over the last year. Laughing

He wore out his welcome in PDX sounds like alot of the same in Austin.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it didn't really come to a head until about a month or two ago when he rolled out the renewal policy. season ticket renewals are down 21% due to people getting bent over.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy,
What was wrong with godzillatron? I'm looking forward to auburn's new one that should be in before the season opener.
ohsix

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H wrote:
goofyboy,
What was wrong with godzillatron? I'm looking forward to auburn's new one that should be in before the season opener.

I know the bigger jumbotron and addition of video ribbon boards at A&M games was a distraction from the field. These are used primarily as an advertising revenue stream and not necessarily to enhance the gameday experience. It's like you're living in a commercial anytime play stops for more than resetting the ball (turnovers, timeouts, reviews, end of quarter, etc.)
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
These are used primarily as an advertising revenue stream and not necessarily to enhance the gameday experience. It's like you're living in a commercial anytime play stops for more than resetting the ball (turnovers, timeouts, reviews, end of quarter, etc.)

yup. they probably waste 40% of the screen on advertising - it's like reading a crappy website w/ ads all over it. every second of downtime is an advertisement. it was ok the first year or two w/ only some of that happening, but it's gotten worse every year.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: May 07, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett Golson to Texas?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 07, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think so, but it wouldn't be a complete surprise. they did just have a scholarship open up this week when ol darius james was given his full release to transfer.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/18/8804391/steve-patterson-texas-athletic-director
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long till he's gone???
eeven73

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ exactly the stuff I was trying to warn you about when UT hired him.

He is out there, and not in a lovable Bubb Rubb up Uncle kind of way.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utah's best corner was arrested on agg. robbery this morning....
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/07/23/braxton-miller-ohio-state-move-wide-receiver

I was hoping Braxton would come back as QB and have a Heisman caliber year. Now he'll just have to do that at WR/PR if he can get enough touches.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
eeven73

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
eeven73, http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/18/8804391/steve-patterson-texas-athletic-director

He made a move on shaggybevo.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, that was long before him and it was the university, not the athletic department.

the funniest part of that whole deal was the texags prank: www.shaggystevo.com
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:

MIAMI -- The NCAA is investigating whether Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel was paid for signing hundreds of autographs on photos and sports memorabilia in January

8 years later, the admission:
https://www.tiktok.com/@barstoolsports/video/6969585751243705606
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas reaches out to the SEC! SEC! SEC! and wants to join them.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-powers-texas-oklahoma-inquire-about-joining-sec-in-potentially-massive-realignment-shakeup/

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be fun beating safety school UT head to head! You're welcome for the extra $$$.

I'm not a big fan in a macro sense - this is going to change CFB for the worse in the long run, and for a LOT of schools near term - but the amount of aggy schadenfreude I've experienced in the last week has damn near killed me. Happy to finally be playing aTm again - that was the worst part of the last round of realignment. Definitely going to be some salty football every weekend and the chances of anyone coming out of that conf undefeated are pretty slim now.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a change for the worse already happened before this. I'm not for the kids getting paid, but not completely against it either since there is a ton of money being made off of them. I think it's going to ruin college sports though.

Like the QB from Bama hasn't played a snap yet and already has a million dollar deal. That is going to completely alter recruiting.

Also how many 18-20 year olds do you know that are mature enough to handle all of a sudden having hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in college? There no way that ends up as a good thing for the vast majority.

What will it do to their work ethic also? The carrot in front of a lot of these top athletes was getting to the Pros and then getting paid.

Guess we'll see how it all plays out. Huge changes are coming either way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Add To Favorites

Jump to: