Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Might be an interesting court case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

Quote:
California man says he can drive in carpool lane with corporation papers

By Isolde Raftery, NBC News

When Jonathan Frieman of San Rafael, Calif., was pulled over for driving alone in the carpool lane, he argued to the officer that, actually, he did have a passenger.

He waved his corporation papers at the officer, he told NBCBayArea.com, saying that corporations are people under California law.

Frieman doesn't actually support this notion. For more than 10 years, Frieman says he had been trying to get pulled over to get ticketed and to take his argument to court -- to challenge a judge to determine that corporations and people are not the same. Mission accomplished in October, when he was slapped with a fine -- a minimum of $481.

Frieman has been frustrated with corporate personhood since before it became a hot button issue in 2010, when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that corporate and union spending may not be restricted by the government under the First Amendment.

At the heart of the high court ruling was the argument that corporations -- because they are composed of individuals – deserve protection under the First Amendment, which guarantees free speech.

Frieman, who faces a traffic court on Monday, plans to tell the judge that this isn’t about carpool lanes; it’s about corporate power.

"I'm just arresting their power and using it for my service to drive in the carpool lane," he told NBC Bay Area's Jean Elle.

University of San Francisco law professor Robert Talbot says Frieman’s argument may not hold up because it steers too far from the intent of carpool lane laws.

"A court might say, ‘Well, it says person, and a corporation is a person, so that'll work for the carpool lane,’” Talbot told NBCBayArea.com. “It’s possible, but I doubt it.”

In an opinion piece posted to the San Rafael Patch site on May 14, 2011, Frieman broke down his argument.

A carpool lane is two or more persons per vehicle, he said. The definition of person in California’s Vehicle Code is “natural person or corporation.”

“Just imagine what THAT courtroom scene’ll be like,” he wrote.

He imagined what he might say to the judge: “Your honor, according to the vehicle code definition and legal sources, I did have a ‘person’ in my car. But Officer so-and-so believes I did NOT have another person in my car. If you rule in his favor, you are saying that corporations are not persons. I hope you do rule in his favor. I hope you do overturn 125 years of settled law.”

But before he can make grand proclamations, the officer who ticketed him must show up to court. Otherwise, his ticket may be thrown out.

How many bets that the cop doesn't show for the hearing so the ticket gets dismissed?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/05/16372432-california-man-says-he-can-drive-in-carpool-lane-with-corporation-papers

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

Quote:
"A court might say, ‘Well, it says person, and a corporation is a person, so that'll work for the carpool lane,’” Talbot told NBCBayArea.com. “It’s possible, but I doubt it.”

In an opinion piece posted to the San Rafael Patch site on May 14, 2011, Frieman broke down his argument.

A carpool lane is two or more persons per vehicle, he said. The definition of person in California’s Vehicle Code is “natural person or corporation.”

“Just imagine what THAT courtroom scene’ll be like,” he wrote.

He imagined what he might say to the judge: “Your honor, according to the vehicle code definition and legal sources, I did have a ‘person’ in my car. But Officer so-and-so believes I did NOT have another person in my car. If you rule in his favor, you are saying that corporations are not persons. I hope you do rule in his favor. I hope you do overturn 125 years of settled law.”

This Frieman guy is an ignoramus, initially because the code establishing Preferential Use Lanes for High Occupancy Vehicles doesn't refer to people or number of people and leaves those determinations up to locals and secondly because the bay area requires 3 individuals so only having 1 article of incorporation wouldn't overturn his citation if the law extended personhood to corporations which it does not but rather affords corporations certain protections similar to individuals. So that's 3 ways this guy is wrong...

Last edited by Nor*Cal on Jan 08, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
and secondly because the bay area requires 3 individuals so only having 1 article of incorporation wouldn't overturn his citation if the law extended personhood to corporations which it does not but rather affords corporations certain protections similar to individuals. So that's 3 ways this guy is wrong...
Bay Area is only 2+ individuals http://rideshare.511.org/511maps/hov_lanes.aspx

*the Bay Bridge (and nearby sections of I-80) and the Carquinez Bridge are 3+, but he was in a 2+ location according to the linked video.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this to work (among other reasons) wouldn't he need to cram the ENTIRE corporation in to his car and not just a part of it? I don't think you'd be allowed to ride in the carpool lane if you just had someone's pinky finger sitting in the seat next to you, right?
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd wrote:
For this to work (among other reasons) wouldn't he need to cram the ENTIRE corporation in to his car and not just a part of it? I don't think you'd be allowed to ride in the carpool lane if you just had someone's pinky finger sitting in the seat next to you, right?

how many corporations can dance on the head of a pin?
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
f the law extended personhood to corporations which it does not but rather affords corporations certain protections similar to individuals. So that's 3 ways this guy is wrong...

I have been rather curious about this. What the base intention of corporate personhood is basically to allow corporations to enter in to contracts and be sued as if they were an individual. And this to me appears to be an absolute requirement for business to function in a capitalist environment, i.e. be held accountable for its actions and be able to hold other accountable for grievances against it. So was the big controversy with citizens united was that it gave corporations the ability to fund political elections? Was this something that existed prior and was reaffirmed or was this something that came out of that particular case? Nor Cal, I believe you work in lobbying or something so I would assume you would be the resident expert on this subject. What are your opinions?

It seems it is primarily the left that has come out in arms against this but if this corporate right was removed wouldn't that essentially defund union political activities as well. I kind of see it as a tit for tat, unions vs. corporations throwing monies towards politics that strengthen their respective positions. It does really seem that it games the system on both sides of the aisle and IMO seems to really detract from the individuals vote. I think when you look at the monies spent between both candidates on the recent presidential election you really gotta wonder if its good for the country.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did WBer.com become a legal forum Confused
BrtnDan
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:

When Okie Boarder became the only person starting new threads
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

nmballa wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:
f the law extended personhood to corporations which it does not but rather affords corporations certain protections similar to individuals. So that's 3 ways this guy is wrong...
Was this something that existed prior and was reaffirmed or was this something that came out of that particular case?

Existed prior to...

As to the question regarding unions that is dependent on the type of 501-cX you are talking about. Many of these affronts from either business or the Union/NGO side exempt themselves. Fundamentally there is no equitable way to handle this issue because if you exempt one group then you infringe on the 1st amendment rights of the others. Essentially everyone has the right to be represented. These battles are one side trying to gain the upper hand on the other.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

scott a wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:
and secondly because the bay area requires 3 individuals so only having 1 article of incorporation wouldn't overturn his citation if the law extended personhood to corporations which it does not but rather affords corporations certain protections similar to individuals. So that's 3 ways this guy is wrong...
Bay Area is only 2+ individuals http://rideshare.511.org/511maps/hov_lanes.aspx

*the Bay Bridge (and nearby sections of I-80) and the Carquinez Bridge are 3+, but he was in a 2+ location according to the linked video.

True, just assumed he was near one of those toll areas but am obviously wrong.

Still it is my understanding the definition of person is talking about a employee in a fleet vehicle but I could be wrong.

nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
nmballa wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:
Was this something that existed prior and was reaffirmed or was this something that came out of that particular case?

Existed prior to...

As to the question regarding unions that is dependent on the type of 501-cX you are talking about. Many of these affronts from either business or the Union/NGO side exempt themselves. Fundamentally there is no equitable way to handle this issue because if you exempt one group then you infringe on the 1st amendment rights of the others. Essentially everyone has the right to be represented. These battles are one side trying to gain the upper hand on the other.

So really the only way is limit the ability of both sides to contribute. Personally I would welcome a system that only allows election funding to be handled via a set number provided by the federal government. So say you collect x amount of signatures to qualify for a particular electoral position. Then depending upon the specific postion, each candidate is allotted Y amount of dollars to finance their campaign. But this will never happen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

nmballa wrote:
So really the only way is limit the ability of both sides to contribute. Personally I would welcome a system that only allows election funding to be handled via a set number provided by the federal government. So say you collect x amount of signatures to qualify for a particular electoral position. Then depending upon the specific postion, each candidate is allotted Y amount of dollars to finance their campaign. But this will never happen.

So a marginal candidate would get the same voice as someone widely supported by multiple constituencies? Not sure I'm in favor of that.

Also, these limits would squash the voice of membership-based advocacy groups like surfriders, sierra club, AARP, ACLU, NRA, ect...

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrtnDan wrote:
eeven73 wrote:

When Okie Boarder became the only person starting new threads

Maybe the rest of ya should step up to the plate and let me take a break. Wink

nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Might be an interesting court case Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
nmballa wrote:

So a marginal candidate would get the same voice as someone widely supported by multiple constituencies? Not sure I'm in favor of that.

Also, these limits would squash the voice of membership-based advocacy groups like surfriders, sierra club, AARP, ACLU, NRA, ect...

How do you figure. If you set the requirement of a presidential candidate to collect say 400K signatures for qualification, hardly seems marginal to me. And in turn you could argue the counter, currently a marginal candidate can throw moines at an election and have a larger voice than someone who is exceptionally qualified.

And yes the intent is to squash the voice of special interest during the election process.

LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aright I'll play.

While we are talking about ridiculous traffic cases, I have one of my own (well not a case, but an idea for a defense).

If you get pulled over for speeding, let's say 70 in a 55, I have come up with an unorthodox defense that I have not been able to debunk. I have found NC traffic laws and nowhere does it say that the speed limit is relative to the face of the Earth. So, since all speed is relative, my defense is that I was clearly going less than 70 mph relative to the cars around me . Nowhere in the law can I find where it says the speed limit is relative to the face of the earth, nor does it say anything about how a reasonable person would interpret the speeding laws.

Someone tell me why I am wrong/why this wouldn't work.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone tell me why I am wrong/why this wouldn't work.

If you find a judge who is in the mood to be amused it very well could work. Most likely not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: