Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Local Sourced Foods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Local Sourced Foods Reply with quote

Just curious how many on here are buying local sourced food as most or a portion of what you buy. We buy all our meat locally now and have been for the last year or so. We have started buying seafood from someone that comes up from the coast once a week also. Fruits and vegetables we're not there yet, but we are buying more now than we used to.

It's more expensive, but it's kind of nice to pick up the weekly delivery and actually talk to the families that are growing everything. My kids still eat Lucky Charms for breakfast, drink soda, eat Cheetos, etc. so moving this way is a process.
3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to do it, but living where I do that can't happen during the winter. I do however buy from a non commercial grocery store who does source their produce/meats locally when possible.

Also tried going 100% organic, couldn't afford that adventure. Everything is pretty much double the cost. Milk is normally $2.90/gal, organic is $5.99/gal... Does taste better tho.

2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer
pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have good curb and farmers markets around here, where we buy most of our vegetables. Mean and whatnot is a different story. Would like to but pricing is bunk unless you buy in bulk which I plan on doing one day. Put like a 1/4 cow in the chest freezer. Now some meat does come local when I get a nice deer in my sights. Very Happy

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meat prices aren't that bad around here. Beef and chicken are comparable and steaks are cheaper than the grocery store. Pork is quite a bit more expensive, but the quality has been much better.

We've been eating a lot of carrots, kale, lettuce, potato's, etc for the last couple of months. We're still getting some late summer vegetables too. We're back to the grocery store for fruits other than apples.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the people around here also do weekly specials where you can get larger quantities at a discount. We'll probably split a cow with some other couples in the Spring.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I buy locally when I have the chance. Not just food, but everything, when presented with similar goods.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3MileBayWaker wrote:
I tried to do it, but living where I do that can't happen during the winter. I do however buy from a non commercial grocery store who does source their produce/meats locally when possible.

Also tried going 100% organic, couldn't afford that adventure. Everything is pretty much double the cost. Milk is normally $2.90/gal, organic is $5.99/gal... Does taste better tho.

The people who spend extra money on organic food cracks me up. Yall are some suckers aren't you Laughing
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been buying local for several years though its easy in CA with a farmers market open everyday somewhere within 10 miles. My wife goes to the Santa Cruz market every Wednesday and its cheaper for organic than regular at the cheapest grocery store. All the vendors know her and since she often buys in bulk so we can can stuff they totally hook her up. She can get a 25lb tray of assorted organic fruit for $20.

We're almost entirely off commercial meat as well. Everything in my freezer is caught or shot.

One of the key components of eating local is eating what's in season locally. We're eating more turnips, beets, pumpkin, squash, potatoes and other root veggies now as leafy stuff and fruits aren't at their best.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everything in my freezer is caught or shot.

Response 1- I hear there are several people missing in your neighborhood

Response 2- All the more reason to support environmental legislation. It is scary as hell to find out that I am not supposed to eat more than a few small fish a month from LAKE ONTARIO. This isn't a pond or some runoff retaining reservoir. It's the biggest f'ing Great Lake...

But, things are better now than they were 40 years ago, so I think it is very important to NOT reverse the progress we have made in cleaning up the joint.

3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TnR6Rida wrote:
3MileBayWaker wrote:

The people who spend extra money on organic food cracks me up. Yall are some suckers aren't you Laughing

Have you actually sat down and compared the two side by side....I was skeptical before, but until you actually compare them side by side, no you might not notice the difference. One of my college professors did it for us in class/lab on coffee, milk, yogurt, chicken, sirloin, grapes, tomatoes and oranges. Very notable quality differences in the milk, sirloin, coffee, chicken, and tomatoes.

You do realize most animals are fed growth hormones to mature faster and larger in their normal feed? Just like home owners add fertilizers to their grass to make it grow greener, roses to grow larger, and insecticides to keep bugs from killing them. Guess where those hormones are stored? In the fatty tissues within the meat your ingesting, or the fruits you are eating. Rapid growth in muscle tissue equals stiffer fibers which is less tender.

Ya'll undereducated/ miseducated people crack me up. Should go watch a couple videos on YouTube about truths of the meat industry and reevaluate your thoughts. Wink

2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer

Last edited by 3MileBayWaker on Dec 09, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
eich82
Addict
Addict

City: MTP

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis wrote:
Quote:
Everything in my freezer is caught or shot.

Response 1- I hear there are several people missing in your neighborhood

Response 2- All the more reason to support environmental legislation. It is scary as hell to find out that I am not supposed to eat more than a few small fish a month from LAKE ONTARIO. This isn't a pond or some runoff retaining reservoir. It's the biggest f'ing Great Lake...

But, things are better now than they were 40 years ago, so I think it is very important to NOT reverse the progress we have made in cleaning up the joint.

Somebody needs to brush up on their geography. It's actually the smallest, and not even CLOSE to being the biggest. Lake Superior is frickin huge.

As a side note, the fish cleaning stations have now been required to haul the fish guts to a hazardous waste processing center because of the high levels of mercury in the Salmon here in the Great Lakes. Perfectly fine for eating though, as much as you want, just be sure to trim the skin and fat off. In the summers I eat fresh caught salmon from Lake Michigan probably 2-3 times.
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an orange tastes like an orange, and a steak tastes like a steak. i guess my taste buds are "broken" from dipping so much. i cant tell the difference
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think moving to organic is as important as moving to unprocessed. Go to www.100daysofrealfood.com and read through some of the things on there that go into processed foods now. We do buy organic as much as possible though. Primarily to support farmers that are following those practices. You can go to the farmers market now and buy bread, milk, eggs, cheese, meat, vegetables, fruit, etc. and pretty much get by without going to the grocery store. We're not there yet, but we are heading in that direction. We also participate in a CSA which has been a good buy.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3MileBayWaker wrote:

Ya'll undereducated/ miseducated people crack me up. Should go watch a couple videos on YouTube about truths of the meat industry and reevaluate your thoughts. Wink

haha, thats funny
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: ATL

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grow most of my own food. I've really grown to love connecting with the earth through my food. I know that sounds super hippy but its something my daughter and I do as a hobby. The food is delicious, cheap and I know exactly what is going into it. I buy almost all of my meat at the local butcher.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:
We've been buying local for several years though its easy in CA with a farmers market open everyday somewhere within 10 miles.

Benefit of this state. Downtown Sacramento has 5 farmers markets each week. Makes getting fresh food easy.

Need to get on that caught or shot thing for the freezer though.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You do realize most animals are fed growth hormones to mature faster and larger in their normal feed?

Are you saying that most animals raised for meat are fed growth hormones? That is INSANE, if it is true.

But, I imagine that meat would cost more if the US banned this practice, and god forbid that we don't have cheap everything in this country...??

Quote:
Somebody needs to brush up on their geography. It's actually the smallest, and not even CLOSE to being the biggest. Lake Superior is frickin huge.

hey, you are absolutely right.

timmy
Addict
Addict

City: Jupiter, FL

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like the idea of getting veggies at the farmers market, but then you see they come from the same distributor boxes as the veggies in the supermarket.

Also, never believed the organic milk thing until I did a taste test side by side. what a difference.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:

Need to get on that caught or shot thing for the freezer though.

You wanna hunt the Yolla Bolly next year for deer and bear? Tough terrain, but that keeps the yahoos away.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, I'd be into that. Still green and compiling the appropriate gear but it'd be good to go.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are you saying that most animals raised for meat are fed growth hormones? That is INSANE, if it is true.

Why is it insane? The fact that the FDA, EPA, USDA... have approved this should mean its safe, no? Aren't you the one who LOVES more government to protect us? Are you suggesting that we get the government to BAN something that another part of the government has already APPROVED? I'm so conflicted right now, I don't know which part of the government to trust...

RIP M.H.Legge
microman

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a food safety perspective, I'm not sure that organic or locally produced food is inherently safer, I just think that since the distribution network of these foods is narrower any foodborne illness outbreaks related to these products are also smaller in scope.

Of course there are other reasons to buy these products such as quality, supporting local business, animal welfare, etc.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
jryoung, I'd be into that. Still green and compiling the appropriate gear but it'd be good to go.

If you have adequate backpacking/camping gear I have everything else. I might even have the airstream done in time too. I think I have a spot just on the border that can be driven to, then day hike in to the Wilderness Area. I plan on driving out there sometime early this summer to check it out then head up for the opener in mid-August.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From a food safety perspective, I'm not sure that organic or locally produced food is inherently safer, I just think that since the distribution network of these foods is narrower any foodborne illness outbreaks related to these products are also smaller in scope.

I think the risk of foodborne illness is low across the board at this point. Chemical use is more what we try to avoid. Certain fruits and vegetables withhold more of the chemical in their skin than others, so I choose organic to try to sidestep that. Is it unsafe to eat the others, no it's just a choice. Local sourced meat is slaughtered and packaged in a USDA certified facility, so I think there you are pretty even with that. There is some argument on what is stored in the fat cells of animals, but you are probably looking at minimal differences.

I have four main reasons for going local sourced and / or organic on most things:

1. To support the local farming community. Farming is one place where the corporate environment is not good long term in my opinion. We also try to eat local restaraunts, buy local goods, etc. as much as possible, but in the grand scheme of things it's still a low percentage of our overall purchases.

2. I'm tired of looking at a list of ingredients on something and not knowing what half the stuff in it is.

3. I would rather cut back on the amount of chemicals, etc. that I consume and my kids consume, so we go with more of the local / organic items.

4. To me the quality, taste, etc. is much better once you find the right people to buy from. Some items are not meant to have a shelf life of weeks and whatever helps that extended shelf life probably isn't natural or all that great for you.

My kids ate strawberry poptarts and drank milk from the Amish community this morning, so we're just trying to find a happy medium.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, let me know, I'm definitely set up for backpacking.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have found a great family ranch that just opened up a storefront here in our town. We've been primarily getting our meat from them. They are raising their cattle pretty much organic...no hormones, etc. They are also grass fed.

We've finished our first year of a garden and we really like the idea of growing our own food, even though our yields were low. We've figured a few things out and expect better results next year.

As much as possible, we shop at the local, family owned grocery store. That is supporting a local business, but not always local stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: