Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Doomsday Preppers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Doomsday Preppers Reply with quote

Anyone watched the show? I've caught a couple episodes and it has been interesting. There are a few cool ideas here and there and it is pretty entertaining.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE doomsday peppers. I can only eat two or three of them, before the heat gets to me and my stomach feels like its going to start bleeding, but one of my friends can eat six doomsday peppers in a row...

Oh, wait... I read that too fast.

Doomsday PREPPERS... yea, 15% neat, 85% whacko, IMO.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!
LFADAM
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New York City

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started watching this a few days ago. These people are nuts. Paranoid is an understatement. It's like those 10 year old kids that go through their fort stage, spy stage, and good guys/bad guys stuff and they just never grow out of it.

I mean these people are dropping 50k+ (probably more like 100s of thousands in some cases) for a disaster that is so improbable or unrelated to their preparations that it's mindblowing.

Ex. The guy who is scared of Greenland suddenly melting and causing the sea levels to rise. Instead of moving to a nice retirement area in Colorado or the mountains of North Carolina, he moves to the middle of nowhere desert Texas at 3x the altitude of his worst case scenario flood and starts a compound. Neutral

Or the people preparing for a "series of F5 tornadoes." Even if somehow multiple F5s hit your house successively (insanely unlikely), why do you need a year worth of food? Tornadoes only knock out an isolated area. Go 20 miles and go to a town that wasn't pulverized by a tornado and buy some food. You shouldn't need more than a week or 2 max of food.

Tin foil hats all around...
CPGrandelli
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's neat because the people who take it to the extremes help give you ideas for just general preparations for normal situations IE hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc.

One of those shows you take it for what it's worth.

2012 Hyperlite State 134
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM, the guy in TX growing his garden using the black water from the trailer....whoa!

I agree it's whacko for the most part, but I've seen a couple neat ideas I'm going to incorporate into our prepping. I do find it funny they prep for one specific thing rather than the top 5 most likely scenarios or somethinig similar.

taitrt
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM wrote:

Ex. The guy who is scared of Greenland suddenly melting and causing the sea levels to rise. Instead of moving to a nice retirement area in Colorado or the mountains of North Carolina, he moves to the middle of nowhere desert Texas at 3x the altitude of his worst case scenario flood and starts a compound. Neutral

Or the people preparing for a "series of F5 tornadoes." Even if somehow multiple F5s hit your house successively (insanely unlikely), why do you need a year worth of food? Tornadoes only knock out an isolated area. Go 20 miles and go to a town that wasn't pulverized by a tornado and buy some food. You shouldn't need more than a week or 2 max of food.

Don't forget about the ones who are prepping for a "sudden reversal of the magnetic poles" when the shortest pole reversal ever took a little more than 1000 years and most have taken around 10,000 years to complete.

Or the lady who was convinced that the value of all the world's currency would be reduced to $.05 per dollar suddenly. Unless it became legal for people to print their own money there is literally zero chance for this to ever happen.

I swear that show would be way more entertaining if they brought someone along with a decent education, and when they say what they are prepping for a the beginning of the show they would just say "yeah, that can't happen: here's why..."
microman

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:

I agree it's whacko for the most part, but I've seen a couple neat ideas I'm going to incorporate into our prepping.

So...are we talking storing a few extra cans, fresh water, flashlights, etc. or an underground enclosure with 3 foot concrete walls, plumbing and enough provisions for a year?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple ideas I liked...

1. Food stores - more than just a couple weeks.
2. Chickens

microman

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie on this topic, you might enjoy this movie, Take Shelter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675192/
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go on record.

When doomsday comes I want to go out in the first wave. F living in a bunker for a year.

BrtnDan
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
I will go on record.

When doomsday comes I want to go out in the first wave. F living in a bunker for a year.

screw that, i'm becoming a warlord
ohsix

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If something is going to wipe out a significant portion of the earth's population, I'd rather be hit by the first wave than suffer or live in a world populated by the nut jobs that prepared for said disaster.
BrtnDan
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
If something is going to wipe out a significant portion of the earth's population, I'd rather be hit by the first wave than suffer or live in a world populated by the nut jobs that prepared for said disaster.

you can join my gang of merry hooligans
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of being prepared seems reasonable. One should be ready to be self-sufficient after a major storm or event. End of days scenario on the other hand is not exactly something you plan for and many of these "prepper" folks won't make it due to their insufficient cardio, rule #1.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Me too.

Unless she's there with me.

cammo girl.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  151.7 KB
 Viewed:  6586 Time(s)

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

microman, I'll check that out.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis, she should be on every preppers list. Mr. Green
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdos make for revenue generating television. Normal people who have realistic disaster preparation on the books aren't going on a TV show. The first rule of real prep is anonymity. Becoming infamous in your small town for having a years worth of food is not smart.

The good side of the show is it might make you think of something you wouldn't have otherwise considered in case of a disaster in your area.

Sustinence isn't that hard to come by on any given day in the rural areas. I find it funny that the fat people are more concerned with storing food than they are making their body ready to survive a disaster where you may have to run from trouble, walk great distances, or hunt/gather.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the entire toolbox of my truck is pretty much a "bug out bag"... judge me
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they are smarter then you think... while you and I will have to get food from our storehouse or from the local grocery store, they have several month's food worth of nutrition hanging off their fat asses.

There's a reason why that prehistoric carving of a woman is obese... fat meant survival and prosperity at one point.

Maybe you'll end up shot by an intruder or eaten by a pack of wolves going out to your bunker for an MRE, but joe fatass doesn't have to go anywhere at all for his calories...

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point.

Then again ask any wild scavenger, getting food is never that hard, its defending it thats the hard part. The guy with the power is gonna eat, whether he finds his own food or takes it from a guy who stockpiled it but is not in any shape to defend it. Stockpiles of food just puts a target on your head.

I dont "prep" in any way. I figure the food in my pantry is enough for any situation I would come across. The only thing I keep a healthy stock of is ammo. Its kind of the wildcard that gets you anything you might need.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, getting food won't be hard for a while, but until recently, death by starvation was a big and real human fear!

I guess stocking up on ammunition would be more prudent, eh?

There's a major supermarket within a few miles of nearly everyone in the suburbs...

ZakkDaniels

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched too many episodes of this show... pretty hysterical. But like some said some things aren't a bad idea to be stocked up on like food and water. Maybe for a few weeks at least. I personally dont have space to store a years worth of anything really. But food, water and ammo and I think I could get by just fine. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: