Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

OWC Boat Lessons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave.didonato

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: OWC Boat Lessons Reply with quote

Hey guys, Im heading to florida soon and am for sure going to check out OWC. Im coming from Canada so I am not going to bring my board. I have also never hit a rail or kicker in my life but I feel I would be bored in the beginner section just going back and forth on flat water. I noticed they have boat lessons for $60/30mins. I have a pretty consistent bag of grab tricks and I have been trying to land 180s and 3s and feel this would help. What would be the best route to go since I have never really hit a kicker or slider in my life and probably wont hit many in the future? I also feel I would be intimidated in the cable section because I have never really tried it out.
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Orlando and ride OWC all the time. I can't give any advice on the boat sets since I haven't ponied up the cash to ride behind one of their boats. My parents have a boat in South Fl so I ride down there once a month or so, so it would be a waste for me to pay to have a boat pull me. Now for the cable, I would go rent (demo) gear at Performance Surf and Ski http://www.perfski.com/. It's located just a couple miles from OWC, and is a partner of theirs. You can also rent gear from OWC but they are sponsored by Hyperlite so you are limited to what they have. Performance Surf and Ski has all the major brands and will have what ever it is your looking for. I am just getting back inot the sport after a good ten years off, but I have been riding on the beginner cable up until a few weeks ago. The beginner side isn't just flat water they have 4 or 5 kickers ranging from around 2 1/2 to around 3 feet, it also has a slider. If you have never hit a kicker or slider before I strongly suggest you stay on the beginner cable. Here are some of the obstacles on the beginner/intermediate cable.

The kickers and sliders on the advanced cable are no joke. Here are some examples of what is on the advanced cable.

I would at start on the beginner/intermediate cable first then if you feel comfortable hop over the advanced. The cable operators are all really nice and are more then willing to give advice. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have, and have fun. OWC is really fun place to ride, tons of pros there everyday. BTW when are you coming down?
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if it were me I would just hit the beginner/intermediate cable and try the kickers. Hitting kickers isn't that hard and can be a lot more consistent then popping of a wake. It could really help you dial in those 180's and 360's. Let me know when your coming down, I'm always down to ride and can show you the ropes

Last edited by BigBadWolfe on Nov 19, 2012 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post
nparks

City: San Juan

PostPosted: May 21, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it, riding behind a pro boat is one of the best experiences. It's definitely worth the cash. Though, for a noob the wake can be pretty intimidating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nparks

City: San Juan

PostPosted: May 21, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, cables can be really fun. I've never used the cables at the OWC because I was always intimidated by ramps. I had no choice when I lived in Oklahoma City and at first dealing with the corners on the cable track was relatively difficult, but kickers, ramps, rails... Super fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: