Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

homemade wakeboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: homemade wakeboard Reply with quote

My offseason for wakeboarding has just started and I want to make my own wakeboard. I'm gonna have a wood core and fiberglass it. I'm thinking a 1/4th inch piece of plywood and making it into a continuous rocker with flex. I plan on finishing this over the winter and once i can wakeboard again, I want to take it to the cable park and behind my boat. Any suggestions?
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the wood tonight and went with 11/32 inch thick plywood instead of 1/4 inch plywood. I'm thinking this thickness will be better
jtryon
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't sound like it's worth the hassle, personally.
Krypt HLCD's
ACME 913
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my own wakesurf board last year, but I don't think I would ever try to build my own wakeboard.

Considering you can buy a really good board that is a 2012 leftover, I wouldn't go through the time, hassle, and cost of materials to build my own wakeboard.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CincyVLX, jtryon, Ever think it's maybe just to say he did it/for the challenge & satisfaction of making something?

tdickman4, I've only seen one or two home-made boards ever (both at the cable park). You're not likely to get anything high performance out of your build but it'll be a fun and challenging project. My biggest worry would be the binding mount inserts. It's going to be difficult to come up with something that doesn't rip out of the board if you were to catch an edge.
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

action sports technology sells the inserts. im thinking epoxy to hold them in. Does anyone know what size inserts i need? 6mm 6.5mm 7mm or 7.5mm?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdickman4, It depends on the hardware you want to use with them. I cant remember right now what industry standard is now but in my mind the bigger the insert, the more surface area there is to hold everything in to the board, but that's purely 'armchair science' and I have nothing to back it up, Laughing Just make sure the bolt will fit through the plate of whatever bindings you're using and that the bolts match the insert size.
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty sweet, if I had the extra time in the Winter this would be cool to try.

tdickman4, I'm moving to Cincinnati next week for at least 12-18 months, possibly longer. Do you ride behind a boat at all or do you just hit up Wake Nation? Trying to find some people to ride with!
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twolfcorner2009,

Get a hold of me in the spring time. I have a Wakesetter VLX and go to the cable as well.
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice where do you ride behind boat at? My dad just sold our Bryant and so we are looking for a wakeboard boat but we only have about $25,000 to spend. I ride boat down in Tennessee at Norris Lake.
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ride the Ohio River, Cumberland, and Norris.

If I can get there early, and the water is good, I'll even go to Brookville or Caesars.

You have a place in Norris or do you rent?
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a houseboat at Powell Valley
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world. We rent a floating house there every year, and we have a friend that has a house right around the corner from the "back" entrance of the Marina.

Usually my boat (Red VLX Wakesetter) and my buddy's boat (Blue XTI Wakesettter). Not sure if you have ever seen us there.
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the houseboat fundaze that is tied up to a float house with a blue top. Who do you rent from?
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the houseboat fundaze that is tied up to a float house with a blue top. Who do you rent from?
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rent from the norrisfloatinghome.com guy. Same weekends every year. The weekend before memorial day, and the weekend after labor day.

The name of your houseboat sounds familiar. I'll swing by in the spring and see if you want a pull!
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats my friends. They also have a wakesetter. Im not normally down those weekends but i might be down the weekend before memorial day because i cant make it memorial day weekend
pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on the build! I built one in high school using 3 pieces of 1/4" ply laminated together. Molded fins out of wood, poly on everything with a few stensils and it worked fine. Biggest problem was I put too much rocker in, and the wood grain ran the wrong way for strength. I did get multiple sets in but being 225lbs I ended up breaking it landing on the crest of the wake. Laughing Embarassed

Lots of fun though and made good stories. Still have the 2 halves. Laughing

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board is almost done. I will post pictures once it is complete. It is looking really nice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: