Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sporting Clays and Golf

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Sporting Clays and Golf Reply with quote

ok, so I've been shooting sporting clays for the past 8 weeks or so. I have been progressively been getting better, though I lag far behind my peers. I shot 50%, then 54%, then 65%, then 70%, then 76%, then I PLUMMETED back down to 54%. I just fell apart, man. All of a sudden, I just could not see the clays. Couldn't hit at stands I've never missed at before.

How do those of you that play such a "mental" game, like clays or golf, get your head back after a disaster that keeps spiraling? I'm shooting again tomorrow, considering just not keeping score and then going through a second time and shooting only my "problem stations."

But it's hard to stay in the zone when it just feels like you are losing it.

pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same feeling from time to time playing disc golf. Play great for months, then hit a streak of playing horribly for a game, or several, or months. I took a break for a month or so after playing about twice a week, and after starting back I'm on point lately. Hit my personal course record last week even. Dont know how to fix something in the mind like that though, I just find it fluctuates.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERSONAL RECORD or best this morning!

I got good sleep, kept to my morning ritual, used the brand and size shells I used the last time I shot well, and let someone else keep score and didn't think about it.

SO much of this is mental....

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What helped me with my shooting is the "shoot where you look" website . Basically you practice with a red rider bb gun with the sights removed.
pyrocasto

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it CB. I played 2 18 hole rounds today. First one wigged out, lost to my buddy, par. Second game, got my head straight, came out ahead with -6. Very Happy

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What helped me with my shooting is the "shoot where you look" website . Basically you practice with a red rider bb gun with the sights removed.

I read about that recently in a book: Sporting Clays: Tips from a British Coach" by Robert Gascoigne. It was pretty good... But sometimes I do WORSE when I try to follow other's advice, and much better when I just focus on the clay but don't think about what I'm supposed to do at all...

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not really tips it all comes down to practice. If you are shooting a bb gun or a shotgun it really doesn't matter and that is the beauty of it you can shoot the red rider in your backyard 15 minutes every night and nobody will call the cops on you.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1992213

Quote:
The death of professional hockey in AMERICA is a nasty omen for people with heavy investments in NHL teams. But to me, it meant little or nothing -- and that's why I called Bill Murray with an idea that would change both our lives forever.

It was 3:30 on a dark Tuesday morning when I heard the phone ring on his personal line in New Jersey. "Good thinking," I said to myself as I fired up a thin Cohiba. "He's bound to be wide awake and crackling at this time of day, or at least I can leave a very excited message."

My eerie hunch was right. The crazy bugger picked up on the fourth ring, and I felt my heart racing. "Hot damn!" I thought. "This is how empires are built." Late? I know not late.

Genius round the world stands hand in hand, and one shock of recognition runs the whole circle round.

Herman Melville said that in the winter of 1914, and Murray is keenly aware of it. Only a madman would call a legend of Bill Murray's stature at 3:33 a.m. for no good reason at all. It would be a career-ending move, and also profoundly rude.

But my reason was better than good ...

BILL: "Hello?"

HST: "Hi, Bill, it's Hunter."

BILL: "Hi, Hunter."

HST: "Are you ready for a powerful idea? I want to ask you about golf in Japan. I understand they're building vertical driving ranges on top of each other."

BILL (sounding strangely alert): "Yes, they have them outdoors, under roofs ..."

HST: "I've seen pictures. I thought they looked like bowling alleys stacked on top of each other."

BILL: (Laughs.)

HST: "I'm working on a profoundly goofy story here. It's wonderful. I've invented a new sport. It's called Shotgun Golf. We will rule the world with this thing."

BILL: "Mmhmm."

HST: "I've called you for some consulting advice on how to launch it. We've actually already launched it. Last spring, the Sheriff and I played a game outside in the yard here. He had my Ping Beryllium 9-iron, and I had his shotgun, and about 100 yards away, we had a linoleum green and a flag set up. He was pitching toward the green. And I was standing about 10 feet away from him, with the alley-sweeper. And my objective was to blow his ball off course, like a clay pigeon."

BILL: (Laughs.)

HST: "It didn't work at first. The birdshot I was using was too small. But double-aught buck finally worked for sure. And it was fun."

BILL: (Chuckles.)

HST: "OK, I didn't want to wake you up, but I knew you'd want to be in on the ground floor of this thing."

BILL: (Silence.)

HST: "Do you want to discuss this tomorrow?"

BILL: "Sure."

HST: "Excellent."

BILL: "I think I might have a queer dream about it now, but ..." (Laughs.)

HST: "This sport has a HUGE future. Golf in America will soon come to this."

BILL: "It will bring a whole new meaning to the words 'Driving Range'."

HST: "Especially when you stack them on top of each other. I've seen it in Japan."

BILL: "They definitely have multi-level driving ranges. Yes."

HST: (Laughs.) "How does that work? Do they have extremely high ceilings?"

BILL: "No. The roof above your tee only projects out about 10 feet, and they have another range right above you. It's like they took the façade off a building. People would be hanging out of their offices."

HST: "I see. It's like one of those original Hyatt Regency Hotels. Like an atrium. In the middle of the building you could jump straight down into the lobby?"

BILL: "Exactly like that!"

HST: "It's like people driving balls from one balcony to the next."

BILL: (Laughs.) "Yes, they could."

HST: "I could be on the eighth floor and you on the sixth? Or on the fifteenth. And we'd be driving across a lake."

BILL: "They have flags out every 150 yards, every 200 yards, every 250 yards. It's just whether you are hitting it at ground level, or from five stories up."

HST: "I want to find out more about this. This definitely has a future to it."

BILL: "They have one here in the city -- down at Chelsea Pier."

HST: "You must have played a lot of golf in Japan."

BILL: "Not much; I just had one really great day of golf. I worked most of the time. But I did play one beautiful golf course. They have seasonal greens, two different types of grass. It's really beautiful."

HST: "Well, I'm writing a column for ESPN.com and I want to know if you like my new golf idea. A two-man team."

BILL: "Well, with all safety in mind, yes. Two-man team? Yeah! That sounds great. I think it would create a whole new look. It would create a whole new clothing line."

HST: "Absolutely. You'll need a whole new wardrobe for this game."

BILL: "Shooting glasses and everything."

HST: "We'll obviously have to make a movie. This will mushroom or mutate -- either way -- into a real craze. And given the mood of this country, being that a lot of people in the mood to play golf are also in the mood to shoot something, I think it would take off like a gigantic fad."

BILL: "I think the two-man team idea would be wonderful competition and is something the Ryder Cup would pick up on."

HST: "I was talking with the Sheriff about it earlier. But in one-man competition, I'd have to compete against you, say, in both of the arts -- the shooting AND the golfing. But if you do the Ryder Cup, you'd have to have the clothing line first. I'm going to write about this for ESPN tonight. I'm naming you and the Sheriff as the founding consultants."

BILL: "Sounds good."

HST: "OK, I'll call you tomorrow. And by the way, I'll see if I can twist some arms and get you an Oscar. But I want a Nobel Prize in return."

BILL: "Well, we can work together on this. This is definitely a team challenge." (Laughing.)

HST: "OK. We'll talk tomorrow."

BILL: "Good night."

So there it is. Shotgun Golf will soon take America by storm. I see it as the first truly violent leisure sport. Millions will crave it.

Shotgun Golf was invented in the ominous summer of 2004 AD, right here at the Owl Farm in Woody Creek, Colo. The first game was played between me and Sheriff Bob Braudis, on the ancient Bomb & Shooting Range of the Woody Creek Rod & Gun Club. It was witnessed by many members and other invited guests, and filmed for historical purposes by Dr. Thompson on Super-Beta videotape.

The game consists of one golfer, one shooter and a field judge. The purpose of the game is to shoot your opponent's high-flying golf ball out of the air with a finely-tuned 12-gauge shotgun, thus preventing him (your opponent) from lofting a 9-iron approach shot onto a distant "green" and making a "hole in one." Points are scored by blasting your opponent's shiny new Titleist out of the air and causing his shot to fail miserably. That earns you two points.

But if you miss and your enemy holes out, he (or she) wins two points when his ball hits and stays on the green.

And after that, you trade places and equipment, and move on to round 2.

My patent is pending, and the train is leaving the station, and Murray is a Founding Consultant, along with the Sheriff, and Keith Richards, etc., etc. Invest now or forever hold your peace.

As for Bill's triumphant finish at Pebble Beach, I am almost insanely proud of him. He is an elegant athlete in the finest Murray tradition. Bill is a dangerous brute with the fastest reflexes in Hollywood, but he is suave, and that is why I trust him even more than I trust all his brothers. Yes, I say Hallelujah, praise Jesus. Where is Brian? I will need him for this golf project, if only to offset Bill's bitchiness. We will march on a road of bones.

OK. Back to business. It was Bill Murray who taught me how to mortify your opponents in any sporting contest, honest or otherwise. He taught me my humiliating PGA fadeaway shot, which has earned me a lot of money ... after that, I taught him how to swim, and then I introduced him to the shooting arts, and now he wins everything he touches. Welcome to the future of America. Welcome to Shotgun Golf.

So long and Mahalo.

Hunter.
USMGolfer
Addict
Addict

City: Hixson

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as golf goes the score it just a number that doesn't mean much. Every time i play a bad round that means I'm one round closer to a really good round. If I'm on a steak of good rounds I just keep with the momentum and focus on one shot at a time. Not sure if that helps with clays or not, but I know it has helped me with golf.

eeven73 wrote:

The Vag is magical place with ancient powers that are not easily understood. Laughing
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, started playing in May once a week, and yesterday I had my first round of golf where I felt like I had some control over where the ball was going.

NOT a lot, and certainly not on every shot, but I didn't feel like it was all completely random. I guess that's progress.

ohsix

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this thread from beginning until 1/2 way through the Bill Murray story before realizing I had read the story before and looking at the post date.
BrentC5Z
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golf seems 80% mental. Almost everyone can physically swing a club, it's consistently doing it the correct way that makes it so tough. Honestly, 3-4 days in a row will show you just how good you are. Had it happen in a couple tournaments. By day 3 my game started really shaping up. Day 4 was like a different person. Playing 2-3 times a month will just be wasting your time if you really want to improve. Twice a week is a minimum to get real results.

All just opinion from experience. Results may vary.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are absolutely right.

Unfortunately, my circumstances right now limit me to once a week, so I'll be content with slow improvement and just enjoying the game and the break from the routines of life, for the time being.

It's the same with sporting clays, although at one point I was shooting 100 clays a week and hit a plateau, then started to decline. I took a month off, and came back with better scores... go figure. But I think that speaks to the mental part of the game... sometimes you need to reset, I think.

BrentC5Z
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question about it. Once a week is a great outlet. That's my regular schedule. Twice a week when a tournament is coming up. Glad you are enjoying it. That should be goal #1.
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting clays is more about mental focus than most (maybe any) physical activity. ANYONE can shoot. Once the basic mechanics and balance are learned, anyone can get good fast.

You obviously got in your own head when you shot poorly after a series of improvement.

Sporting clays are fun. It gets expensive though. Having the right gun makes a difference too. Good luck with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: