Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Longevity in the sport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalderman
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Carlsbad

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Longevity in the sport Reply with quote

Because wakeboarding is a relatively young sport the thought of how long guys have been riding and how old they are came up in a discussion with an old surfer friend of mine today. He's in his 60's and been surfing for about 40 years which made me start thinking of what is considered "old" in wakeboarding.

I'm wondering what's the oldest age of guys you know of that are still shredding behind the boat. Not just carving around or doing a few grabs but progressing, learning new tricks, spins and/or inverts and really ripping. And how long have they been riding.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One dude on my lake who I ride with frequently is 28, and has been riding 9 years counting this year, and he is still progressing, whether it be new tricks completely or adding grabs and extra 180's to things he already has dialed in.
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hate to think that you guys would think 28 is old Shocked

I turn 30 next month and I still ride 1-2 days a week and have progressed fairly quickly since buying my wakesetter.

I've been on a board since I was 14, but it was behind my parents I/O without a tower until about 3 years ago.

There are several guys that still compete in the masters division, which is 45 and up, and they still kill it.
slidin_out
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pearl

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31 and still progressing, albeit slowly because i don't get to ride more than twice a week
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Masters and Veterans division at Nationals and Worlds. Those guys are over 40 and a number of them are still throwing down big tricks. I say as long as you can stay healthy then you can ride for as long as you want. Most of the guys I know that are still riding in the Veterans division have been riding since they were in their 20s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 34 and I'm 6 years deep including this season. I'm definitely still progressing as I've learned 2 new flips this season and have 2 more to go (as well as 3 360+ spins) before I hang it up for the year.

Granted I'm a slow learner as I'm the best on my boat and one of the best in my area, so I have no one to learn from other than the internet and learnwake.

My guess is that I'll have to quit learning new tricks sometime in my early 40's. I plan to still shred hard but I figure the day is coming where learning new tricks will lead to too many lingering injuries, so I'll eventually wind up sticking to what I already know and just look to add more style. I have a friend about an hour away who's 40 this year and rides at a regional level. He's been riding 12 years and I hope to be as good as him by the time I'm 40.

Regards,

Dusty

Cary K.
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Wilson, NC

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 40 and have been riding for about 18 years. I did the wakeboard thing for many years, but blew both knees at separate times. I put the bindings away for several years and focused on wakeskating. In the last year or two, I have started splitting my time between the two, and also surf a fair amount, and have a hydrofoil I play around on occasionally. I find that by mixing up what I ride, I don't get burned out, and I can still get the feeling of progression. If I had a bad ride the day before, or if I am over-thinking a trick, I will usually ride something different the next day.

I ride boat 2-3 times a week, and hit the one of the cable parks 1-2 times per week. I competed at a lot of Regional and a few National events for a while, but rarely do anymore, but instead I am usually announcing at the contests. I give lessons a fair amount, and get great satisfaction from that. I love to watch new riders progress, and become addicted.

Jet Pilot
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turned 44 this year - fourth year on the wakeboard - like CaryK- I mix things up - skate, surf, wake and even throw down a slalom to two - still too chicken to try an invert... maybe today
LFADAM
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New York City

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my wakeboard friends' dad is 55 or 60 and is still learning new tricks. He can do backrolls and is working on scarecrows I believe
PARTSPHIL

City: Mexia

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn the big 50 tomorrow! I have been waterskiing since I was 10, but just started wakeboarding this summer. I doubt if I will ever be doing flips, but I have gone from not being able to get up, to doing w2w this summer! I started mainly because my boys (early 20s) did. We are all learning together. When they are gone to college, I dont ride much but when they are here we ride a lot. I plan to board and ski for a loooooong time!
qwerty123

City: yes

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread gives me faith..
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got years ahead of you, so long as you look after your body and keep having fun. I'm 31, and have been riding for about 15+ years I guess. Strangely enough I've pretty much always sucked at wakeboarding, but I go alright on a snowboard even though I started at that later.

There are guys into their 40's I know who are still ripping, learning new inverts and spins etc. Many of them have been riding for as long or longer than me.

Now that I'm living back in Australia, can (just) afford to keep my boat on the water and have a good crew to ride with, I'm looking forward to a big summer and might just have my best season ahead of me! Just have to push myself and stay dedicated. And possibly less drinking/more riding when I'm on the water Very Happy

Medina
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Netherlands

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a wakeboard who is 58...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: