Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

W2W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonstrom119

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: W2W Reply with quote

hey guys, when im new to the forum and have learned a lot from everyones comments and threads! finally got a video of some wake jumps. I've been riding for about a month and half on the weekends, and have started to jump w2w. Before I watched my own video, I felt like i was standing tall when i hit the wake, but after watching myself, it doesn't look like im doing that at all. Any advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

I know the wake is crappy, we onlyhad 2 people in an i/o on this run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_RldxncJow&feature=plcp
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you're definitely absorbing some of the pop by bending your knees. Other than that very nice! Nice edge, nice posotion. Now time for toeside and switch jumps!
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude if you start standing up at the top of the wake you will be flying into the flats!
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with FlyZone CR but I also don't think you're edging all that hard when you hit the wake. I'm also seeing the same thing consistently as follows:

0:17 into video- you have a nice edge going and then you flatten out a bit, letting off of the edge. Why?

0:35-same thing

0:50-same thing

Standing tall is certainly important but a progressive edge is the most important thing. What will really put you past the point you're trying to get is for you to INCREASE your edge at the point I've noted in each of those three jumps. You should be edging harder (like 2X harder) at those points than you are on your way into the wake.

Your hardest edge should be when you are riding up the wake. You are backing off of it before you even hit the bottom of the wake. This video is great, though, because you look really good otherwise so you know you're doing lots of good things.

jonstrom119

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome thanks guys. I think i flatten out because i think in my mind its time to jump, and i forget to keep edging. Hopefully i'll find some pulls this weekend and work on it
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you hit the wake, stay leaning back against the rope, keep your elbows tucked to the side of your hips, STAND TALL by pushing your heels into the wake
Scottish Mike

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic riding for such a short time. Your biggest problem IMO is how you start your approach. You coast pretty tall and squat to start coming in. That gives you a sharp initial turn which almost guarantees that you'll go flat at the wake. Bend your knees as you coast and then initiate the approach with just a very gentle edge. Initially aim to cross the wake at shallow angle rather than 90 degrees. You can then build the edge as you approach by leaning back on the rope and keeping your chest up.

Don't worry if you appear to be approaching the wake quite slowly. I had a lot of problems with this - the feeling that it is your speed relative to the wake that creates the pop. Remember that the boat is pulling you forward at 20 or so miles an hour - by harnessing that energy with your progressive edge you can clear the wake, regardless of approach speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: