Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What speed and rope length?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nukleuz

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: What speed and rope length? Reply with quote

Hi Guys

This is going to be my second seasion boarding, so still an absolute noob!

I am battling to figure out the correct speed to ride at.

The boat is a 2008 Seadoo wakster 430

Any advise as to what speed to travel at?

Also, what is the recommended rope length for a noob like me ? Laughing
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed: whatever feels comfortable.
Rope length: super short cause sea doo wakes get wide really quick.

Nukleuz

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyzone,

Thanks for the reply, but to be honest that doesnt really help much.

What speed range should i be testing out?

And the rope length, how short is super short?
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your comfort level riding and what you're trying to accomplish and what makes the best wake for your boat you're riding behind, anywhere between 18-24 mph should be good. Play with it until you find the sweet spot.

Again, just play with your rope length to find where the sweet spot is for your wake. It can range from 65-85 feet depending on your speed and the wake your boat is throwing off.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that specific boat but behind most seadoo's you'll want to ride somewhere between 50 and 60 feet.
anw7405
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: edmond

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to help a little. I had a 2008 seadoo challenger and rode all the time behind it. My spedo was a little off i think but we rode 23-24 but in reality it was probably 21-22. Its hard to keep the jets at this speed. If you feel the boat plane out your probably going too fast. Does your boat have factory ballast? Is it the 20ft one? I put a little over a 1000lbs of weight in mine and the wake was not bad. It really firmed up with no wash. It was a pretty steep narrow wake which was great for learning on. After you get your wake right then throw the rope out to where the wake is nice and clean. It wasnt an inboard wake but it worked just fine.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start with about 17mph for speed, along with 55feet rope.

as you feel more comfy with the whole thing, gradually up the speed to about 20mph, 65feet rope and more weight in the boat
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ediotism, I did this. Except when I started out I started with 60ft rope.
Skier's Edge

City: Indianapolis

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Rope Length & Boat Speed Reply with quote

We get asked these questions a lot here at the shop. For rope length, we recommend not to go shorter than 60'. For learning tricks go about 13-15mph and for jumps go about 20-23.

Any shorter than 60' and you can really develop some bad habits. Yea I know the wake is narrower with the shorter rope length and that makes it easier to clear both wakes but for beginners, it is more beneficial to learn about progressive edging, line tension, and standing tall at the top of the wake. If you start easy you tend to stay there and not work on getting those important parts dialed in. Once you learn how to get pop, then a normal rope length would be about 65-75.

For speed, we recommend starting about 14mph but that will vary with different boats. For the most part, we have found that 13-15 is a very good speed for beginners. The falls are sooo much less painful at that speed compared to going normal wakeboard speeds of about 20-23. Once you start jumping though you will need to increase the speed to about 18-20 to get the wake right and to have enough glidespeed across the water. For learning surface tricks, definitely slow the boat back down to about 14 and then add a couple mph until you can get the trick nailed at your normal boat speed.

We also highly recommend buying Detention2012 with Shaun Murray. It is by far the best instruction dvd out there and has helped us to learn tons of new tricks.

Check out our inventory of ropes/handles here:
http://www.skiersedgeproshops.com/wake_ropes__accessories.html
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Ok, from my experience, at 13-15 your body is going to be working a lot harder, because the board is going to be going so slow it wants to sink. I would not go slower than 17-18, and if you can't take the falls at that speed I think it's the wrong sport for you..just my opinion.
Skier's Edge

City: Indianapolis

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is just really no reason at all to go too fast just for learning basic surface tricks. Any sport is about doing things smarter, not harder and your body will thank you that you didn't take that face plant at 20+.

From experience if you are under 200lbs then you should have no problem going around 14 and then increasing speed the better you get at the trick until you get up to the ideal speed for you and your boat. The board will not sink and it doesn't take any extra work to turn the board.

Just our thoughts but why make things harder than they need to be for someone starting out. Wakeboarding is a lot of fun and there are always things that help make you a better rider and this is definitely something that helps.

Water, Snow, & Skate Pro Shop
Indianapolis, IN
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You DO realize that 18 mph is to slow for almost any boat without ballast...18 is slow, I pull newbies at 18 and they think it is comfortable, I weigh 180 and at 16 mph my board starts to sink. Maybe your speedo is off because if I rode at 14 mph I would just let go of the handle because it would be to much work. Riding at 18 mph is smarter not harder. Again, just my $.02.
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off riding at 15mph when I wanted to work on surface stuff, but as a lot of the poeple have pointed out you tend to get your board to sink. I can't tell you how many times i'd take a hard edge out and then while i'm waiting for the line tension to pick back up I'd just sink in the water (6'0" 185 lbs, riding a 141). Falling at 16-18 doesn't hurt, it's like hitting a pillow; however once you start getting above 20 it hurts exponentially worse. I'm sure almost anyone here would agree.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twolfcorner2009 wrote:
once you start getting above 20 it hurts exponentially worse.
Yea, not sure how pro riders can stand to ride at like 24 mph or even > than 24 mph.
anw7405
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: edmond

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only vandal rides at 27mph!!!! thats nuts. I think 18 is a great starting speed as well.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ 27 mph is crazy!! Props to him though, I don't think I would do anything but ride at that speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: