Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Winter Storage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Winter Storage Reply with quote

I live in upstate SC. I am looking into buying a boat. My question is should I look for heated indoor storage for the winter months, or should I just winterize the boat and store it outside?

If you leave a boat in storage for 3-5 months do you have to drain all the fluids? Do you have to winterize a boat in indoor storage or make any other adjustments to it for the time it sits?

In case it matters I am looking at early 2000 v-drives as they are the best boats for my price range.

Thanks in advance for the help.
chawk610
Addict
Addict

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do both... have it winterized AND stored indoors. With these "investments" you can't be too careful!
mgs917
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I drive by lake norman in the winter months, I have seen boats on lifts next to docks. Do some people leave their boats on a lift all winter long?
mgs917
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chawk610, Thanks for the reply? Are you in TX? What months do you store your boat?

Anyone in the SC upstate area, Lake Murray, Hartwell, Norman? What months do you store your boat.

When do you know when to winterize? Do you set a date that you know you are getting it done, or do you plan around the weather?
jamespjackson95
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on hartwell and I put my boat up last day of September and usually take it back out halfway into march.
Poison

City: Haughton

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winterize and then store it indoors. If you drain the water, no need for heated storage.

You'll want to change the oil and all that at the end of the season anyway, might as well drain the block and ballast hoses while your at it. Even with a good boat cover, the weather takes it toll over the course of winter.

Winterizing isn't too difficult...even if you can't, the price of having it done for you is most likely still less than the extra you would pay for heated storage over non-heated.

I know people who don't winterize, but I'm not willing to take that chance. I love that boat and I can't afford to replace it.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if it's in heated storage I would winterize it, if the power gets knocked out and it's cold enough you'll be buying a new motor. Consider it cheap insurance.
anw7405
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: edmond

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the people on the lift probably have electric to the dock and have an enginge block heater on them. If its close to 32 degrees you better have a plan to know how to drain the block if the power goes out. If you don't plan on using it just winterize it yourself. There is no date it just goes by the temperature.
chawk610
Addict
Addict

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgs917 wrote:
chawk610, Thanks for the reply? Are you in TX? What months do you store your boat?

Anyone in the SC upstate area, Lake Murray, Hartwell, Norman? What months do you store your boat.

When do you know when to winterize? Do you set a date that you know you are getting it done, or do you plan around the weather?

We store from Usually late October to late March

RichmonS

City: Buford

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at Lake Lanier in Georgia. I winterize late October and take it out in March.

The people with boats on lifts will have a bilge heater or antifreeze in the bilge and block to keep it freezing.
laila8

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no enough storage space in our house to store extra furniture. Help me to have Albuquerque storage facility.
self storage in Wynnum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: