Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Help me help my brother: computer/HDTV question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Help me help my brother: computer/HDTV question Reply with quote

Pretty simple-my brother recently moved to SD, CA and he doesn't want to buy cable. He just wants to stream the stuff he watches online on Hulu, Netflix, etc. to his HDTV which has an HDMI port available.

I am waiting for him to get back to me to tell me what he has for outputs on his computer. He is not real computer savvy-just can get by. Is there a SVGA-->HDMI or a USB-->HDMI connection that would work for this? How do all of you guys run your input from your computer to your HDTV?

Does he need some type of HD output from the computer? I'll admit I'm not up to speed on this either since I still used DirecTV and stream Netflix/Hulu though my Blu-Ray player that has these services preloaded and is hooked to an ethernet connection.

Thanks!

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet575, they make VGA->HDMI but it's a box. Better yet would be if he has DVI available - then he can just get a simple <$5 converter, which is what I've used to hook MacMinis up to HDTVs over HDMI.

If he doesn't have DVI available, he oughta just get a new video card for $20-$30 that does. Hell he might even be able to get a video card in that price range that has HDMI out!

And no, you don't have to be computer savvy to install a video card. They are plug and play once you know what type of card you need (so you can purchase the right one).

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: seattle

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xbox360 + live will play netflix and hulu.
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the VGA to HDMI deal with the sound? When I have hooked up my laptop I have gone straight VGA to VGA but I have to feed the sound through a different wire. Also, what would be the benefit of the converter if the TV has a VGA port on the back. If it is leaving the computer via VGA, it isn't going to become a better signal when converted through the box to HDMI is it?
cchandy
Criminal
Criminal

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A signals quality never gets better than its initial output. Converting to HDMI would only be for interfacing purposes.

VGA cannot carry sound, so if you used VGA -> HDMI you would have to have another cable for sound. If the TV has a VGA port, then HDMI does not provide any benefit.

Unless there are other reasons for wanting ur computer hooked up to your TV, I would agree with rowlex, XBOX360 is much easier to use for netflix and hulu.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't have an xbox so that is not an option.
cchandy
Criminal
Criminal

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't even mess with VGA. I'd get a video card that outputs HDMI and call it a day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: