Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Life Jacket or Impact Vest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squashed_Fly

City: Swindon, UK

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Life Jacket or Impact Vest Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Couldn't see an 'introduce yourself' section so this is as good a place as any!

I'm looking at getting an impact vest. Just wondering how buoyant they are? I know they're not actually approved as buoyancy aids, but do they support you long enough to get out of your bindings? Or do you still have to 'tread water with your arms' while trying to get free of your board?

I'm still a relative beginner and while learning the kickers and rails, I am spending more time in the water than on it! lol

The rental jackets are very cumbersome, and not very cool!

I have all the other equipment now. I was looking at the O'Neill Revenge jacket which I know keeps me afloat and would a good happy medium, but the overhead vests look so much better...

jtryon
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a helium swat vest, they're longer than a lot of others and provide good protection (thick), and are an overhead design with side zip. got mine for $99 new too.
Krypt HLCD's
ACME 913
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtryon, that's a good price, if i could get it at that price i would too!

as for impact vests, yes you'll have to tread water with your arms to stop yourself from sinking. it is ALWAYS handy to have a more bouyant vest around; although when you've ridden enough, having just an impact vest on isn't really that troublesome.

can you tread water? like when you fall and wait for the boat to come back round, can you push the board back underneath you and maintain the upright position? when you can easily do that, having just an impact vest doesn't affect you at all. having a floaty one on will let you rest by lying face up on water while the boat comes to you.
Squashed_Fly

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies. I've orderd the O'Neill Gooru vest.

I'm a fairly strong swimmer, and from the number of times I crash out trying to land, I'll only get stronger!

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squashed_Fly, My only recommendation is to make sure it will at least float you to the surface if you get knocked out. Obviously it won't float you well like a regular life-vest but as long as it will get you to the surface where someone can see you you're fine. I've heard a few tragic stories of people being knocked unconcious and their friends can't find them since they sink and stay there until it's too late.
Squashed_Fly

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 5/4 wetsuit, reasonably buoyant board and an impact vest so shouldn't be too bad. TBH, I'm more worried when I surf as you're out at sea, with no lifejacket, and there is a current.

At my local cablepark, there are usually that many people there that there is always someone just behind you

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squashed_Fly, True, there was a story (last year maybe? all runs together) about a girl at a cable who died, even with people around. I'm sure with a full-suit and that jacket you'll be fine though. The jacket alone should be enough to at least keep you at the top.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your a strong swimmer, you will have no problem.(At least when conscious..)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: