Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

USA Women's Soccer Team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: USA Women's Soccer Team Reply with quote

So I have to admit that I have had no love for the game of soccer. I can enjoy watching my daughter play, but when the Little Man was playing in his youth, I struggled to feign interest. We have been given numerous tickets to Real Salt Lake games and you couldn’t drag me to one of those games with a gang of Clydesdales. In all honestly, I’d rather watch a youth hockey game of kids I don’t know, than go to a MLS game.

BUT…..months ago the Little One’s soccer coach ask if we wanted to get some good tickets with them to the USA Women’s National Team’s game against Canada this weekend. I said sure and ask him to grab us 2(one for Michelle and the Little One), figuring they could go and enjoy themselves(they have been to a few Real SL games and had fun).

So seems this weekend has snuck up on us and Michelle is working, so guess who gets to go watch Hope Solo, Alex Morgan and the girls run around…..me…. At first I seriously considered asking if the coach would just take the Little One and they could have the second ticket to do with what they wished…. But the more I thought about it, I decided maybe it would be fun and am going….. I’m actually looking forward to it… Smile

Wonder how I'll feel about all this tomorrow at 3:00........ Confused
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how you make women's soccer, or any women's sport more interesting? two words:

Bikinis
Hammers

I hope you enjoy your trip and become a fan though, seriously.

STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go getcha a mia hamm jersey! Laughing

i'm sure your daughter will love it and love the fact that you're taking her. she probably won't even notice if you're miserable so that's good. i hope i never have to sit through a women's match though.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have fun! Watching more of a pro level live is a lot of fun. And the little one will have fun seeing other girls on a pro level play the sport that she is interested in!
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakechick13 wrote:
You will have fun! Watching more of a pro level live is a lot of fun. And the little one will have fun seeing other girls on a pro level play the sport that she is interested in!

hate to quote and agree w/ anything this one says, but it's true. any sport played at the highest level is a good watch, imo. plus, your daughter will have a blast and great role models to follow. it's the reason i took my daughter to so many ut volleyball matches.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, "this one" really??
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLing

You'll have a great time. I still remember going to see all the pro games when I was a little - even if you don't like the sport, its a different scenario when you're actually there. Have fun and take pics!
Justin 1933
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: The OC, CA

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love soccer and enjoy watching it. I really enjoy watching Top level, as well as my daughter's U11 Club team. I love it so much I even got my club coaching credentials, so that I could fill in when my daughter's coach was coaching one of his other teams.

My daughter would love to see the US women's team play. Hope Solo is her favorite player.

Enjoy your time with your daughter, she will remember it forever.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin 1933, Same for my little, she plays for the U8 FC Dallas team. She loves it and the entire family loves watching her and the pros play.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's not confuse women's soccer with top level soccer. maybe it's comprable to top level boys high school soccer... as with most women's sports, it's like watching grass grow unless your kid or wife is playing.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23, Girls soccer is much more interesting than any other chick sport. Women's soccer is a lot better than boy's high school soccer.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23 wrote:
let's not confuse women's soccer with top level soccer. maybe it's comprable to top level boys high school soccer... as with most women's sports, it's like watching grass grow unless your kid or wife is playing.
You sound like "that guy" that was always way too agressive when your JV team was scrimmaging against the girls varsity team.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23 wrote:

Um you clearly don't know anything about soccer. And I don't care how much you've played, or what awesomeness you've attained in soccer, etc. If you truly compare these girls to a boys high school team, you clearly show you know nothing.

I've seen women soccer players get knocked down, and hop right back up. None of that "oh I better whine and scream like I snapped my bones clean off so the ref calls it...........ooooh he called, I'm fine now".

Some of the BS that I watch on mens soccer, I don't see in womens. So yeah, I tip my hat to them. I know they would run circles around me.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see? told you it would be fun!

hard to beat a game winner at 85m
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy, there's plenty of flopping and acting in the women's game - i watched the last 25 min of the game today and saw 2 examples (both canadian). and maybe not hs, but hs age - i'd put money on the usmnt u-17 team beating the uswnt by 5+.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch a lot of women's sports, but the USWNT players are very competitive and make it watchable. For the record, they do schedule scrimmages against top high school aged boys clubs, and it's not uncommon for the boys teams to win
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
see? told you it would be fun!

hard to beat a game winner at 85m

It was VERY fun.... Though I may not have been as excited, if they would have tied.... Soccer is fun when something is happening, problem is....usually nothing is.... Confused

I think the US stole one, that stop by Hope Solo at the VERY end of the first half may have been a goal. It was right in front of us, I have not seen a replay, but it looked VERY, VERY close to over the line.... Question

Few observations.... Abby Wambach and Hope Solo are BIG... I am going to go see what they are listed at.... But before I do, they are big and athletic....I was impressed. The US Team was MUCH more attractive than the Canadian Team.

These pics SUCK....they are from my phone... But....some visual of the event is better than just words...

Solo warming up.... Where I noticed her size....

Abby with her snowcone/icee/something???

More snowcones......

Celebration after the late goal....

Right before the finish....

Photo with teammates... Hard to believe that she is a year younger than both of these girls, who are not tiny.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap - you had great seats for that goal!

solo is 5'9"
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
holy crap - you had great seats for that goal!

solo is 5'9"

Yea, guy snagged us some nice seats...at least when they were on that end.

Yea, looked her up...but Solo looks taller than that....
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those uniforms are terrible.
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a wrote:
Those uniforms are terrible.

x100000
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate them too, but you'd be amazed at how many people like them. don't worry, they will get new kits before the next world cup run.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waldo unis?
I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the uniforms are odd, but somehow they work for me. Discounting the mix between a pirate and Where's Waldo, they are different and stand out.

Long and short of it, I don't hate them.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I guess I like them enough that I have been searching online for a team kit(want to put her name and number on it) for the Little One to wear during the Olympic Games.

Speaking of picking a number, did it for her first time ever for the upcoming season for her Comp League team(getting her first ever made to order uni).... #10... Strange how kids come up with a number, no rhyme or reason....well other than... "I like the number ten." When I was a kid, I always picked related to players that I liked who wore that number.....

On the flip side, the Little Man was given a number and now considers it his number... It will be interesting to see if that works out with his new team(when getting fitted for all their gear, he had to give a first choice, then two alternates), he's crossing his fingers.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:

Nice....and spot on..... Laughing
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you had a good time E.J.. i don't know if you can get a girl's size uswnt jersey yet. here's the only youth jerseys i see, and it looks like they're backordered. http://www.ussoccerstore.com/us00b113112aa.html also back ordered until july on soccer.com, where i do my shopping for soccer gear.

and i don't know why you guys are all butt hurt about what i said. would you say wnba basketball is top level basketball? or would a good boys high school team beat them? you're telling me the uswnt play the way spain played this afternoon? now that was top level soccer.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said it was top-level soccer? They just didn't agree that USWNT = HS boys soccer.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1, Agreed.They may not be Top Level, but they are not close to being guys high school at all.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin 1933 wrote:
I love soccer and enjoy watching it. I really enjoy watching Top level, as well as my daughter's U11 Club team. I love it so much I even got my club coaching credentials, so that I could fill in when my daughter's coach was coaching one of his other teams.

My daughter would love to see the US women's team play. Hope Solo is her favorite player.

Enjoy your time with your daughter, she will remember it forever.
Nobody said anything about USWNT being top level.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're here again, Mom & daughter night at the game vs Mexico. Apparently Abby W. has scored 4 times already in the 1st half. Fun as that is the Terrorists' favorite player.

One more and she ties the USWNT record for goals in a game.

EDIT....don't know what game my wife was updating me on, but AW only had 2 goals? Laughing

All in all, they had a fantastic time!
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run by the USWNT in the World Cup has been fun. Have probably watched 4 of 6 start to finish.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

german chick w/ the gashed head was nails.

carly lloyd is having a hell of a tournament and our defense is disgustingly good. 513 min since they've given up a goal - 5 straight shutouts, last goal given up was 1st half of australia match.
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has been fun to watch!

Jumalian - Maybe my blonde moment can be deleted from your signature now? LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: