Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Cable vs. behind the boat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnscash

City: Georgetown

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Cable vs. behind the boat Reply with quote

We just bought a new boat this year with a wakeboard tower on it. I have wakeboarded a few times but my wife and my youngest son who is eight years old hasn't been able to get up yet. Even when I get up I'm not up for more than five minutes. Usually after the first or second jump I'm eating wake. We are getting ready to go to vacation in Florida and was thinking about visiting Orlando water sports complex. The behind the boat fee is $140 an hour what the fee for the cable is $45 for all day. What I would like to know is the cable comparable to behind the boat? Will it help them with deepwater starts or is it dock starts only? And even after they get up will that help them and me with our behind the boat wakeboarding, or is it a totally different experience? Thanks in advance.
cchandy
Criminal
Criminal

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience at a cable park, I would say it will not help at all with the deep water starts. I have not been to that specific park, but at my park you can start off the dock, off the bench, or by mid air.

Even the bench start (the only start where your board is actually in the water) is so different from a deep water start, that I would honestly have to say it would not help.

Once you are up tho, I think it would help build your skill set a lot, aside from doing tricks and grabbing air, all of the riding principles, balance, stamina, muscles involved, are the same...in my opinion at least.

I'd say unless $140 an hour is pocket change for you, then definitely give cable a try. I am a big skier/snowboarder and I think being able to do different variants of a sports makes you a much more rounded athlete.
FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know much about that cable park but if they have the smaller 2.0 system there have them on that first. The starts can be exactly like a boat start the turns are different than anything on the boat but every thing else is pretty similar to boat. The big cables as said above IMO is way different.
cchandy
Criminal
Criminal

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interresting Funky, I didnt know there was a smaller system out there (given I haven't looked into much about cable parks other than the one I go to). Where is the one you speak of located?
Cary K.
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Wilson, NC

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OWC has a 2.0 and yes that will be really easy to ride, actually easier than boat because of the higher upward pull. And they can easily adjust the speed on the 2.0 per rider (one person at a time). The full cable pulls 6 (or more) people at a time, and while they can adjust the speed, they usually don't.

Once you get comfortable on the 2.0, try OWC's bigger beginner full cable. Slower speed, and long straights, and it will get you used to feeling the corners.

Jet Pilot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: