Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Nest Thermostat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, I agree 100% on the need for cheaper remote units for multi-zone systems, and also for activity sensors. It simply isn't cost effective versus my current Honeywell setup that has the same features until they do that. When I was looking into the system, I ran across this information on their site http://support.nest.com/customer/portal/articles/260327-heating-and-cooling-systems-that-are-incompatible-with-nest . Unfortunately some components of my HVAC are listed in the unsupported features list, so I pretty much wrote it off as not an option. The really strange thing on that list is that it can't control humidifiers and dehumidifiers or more than one stage of cooling.

I do love that it can switch between heat and cool mode automatically. That drives me crazy about the current setup I have. Last week I had to switch modes three times. Our weather is strange.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjaszkow, you've got to be kidding me? No automatic switchover and you have a brand new system? WTF?

Hell, even the $70 Hunter T-stat I have right now does it.

Then again, my mother's recent HVAC re-do (all new components) included a pretty high-end Honeywell thermostat that doesn't do that either. And because it's simply not something they want to deal with, it flat doesn't get programmed out. Something like the Nest would give them the simplicity they want with the brains to build sensible schedules around occupancy and needs.

FWIW, the Honeywell unit she has (and you probably have the same) retails for nearly $200.

I'm sorry in advance if this link ( https://www.ecobee.com/solutions/home/ ) costs you money! Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, I just looked at the manual, and the picture shows four options (heat, cool, automatic, and off), so now I am puzzled why I don't have automatic available to me. Time to call the HVAC guy.

Does your mother have the Prestige or the VisionPro?

That ecobee looks way slick.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjaszkow, it's neither, but from what I can tell (from Honeywell's info) it is the predecessor to the VisionPro.

Ecobee is the only other option I could possibly think would be worth any time or money. They definitely can handle far more complex systems and appear to be highly customizeable for the situation. Their new Si model looks nice too, but its not much less than the Nest.

Honeywell is just stuck in the dark ages. Even their Prestige product leaves a lot to be desired from what reviews I have read.

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, with the exception of the automatic switchover issue (which appears to be an installer settable option), I've actually been quite happy with the Prestige. The internet access via RedLink isn't nearly what Nest or EcoBee has though.

It looks like the Ecobee Si doesn't support humidification or ventilators either (but it does support multi-stage cooling). So for my setup, it looks like the only comparable options would be the EcoBee or the Honeywell Prestige. Honeywell wins on cost, EcoBee seems to be friendlier.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjaszkow, a better question is: how happy has your wife been with it?

I'd love to put Nest in my Mom's and Grandmother's houses.

Also, if my Dad didn't have a smartvent setup it would be awesome there too, as he is clueless as to how to set his programs. I would love to have his setup in my house. It's all interconnected - from HVAC to smart fart fans. Cycles the house completely every hour. His electric bills in the summer are only like $80/mo in the summer (in the middle of the San Joaquin valley - hot!).

Anyhow, I think that's where I'm looking for this to make life easier for me. Stupid simple for the wife (and my mom or babysitters etc) but way more advanced under the hood for me.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 4 with Nest. It's already building schedules, learning patterns, and giving me energy use maps and feedback.

The iOS app is pretty slick, I can turn the system on/off, set schedules, change settings, and a few other things. Definitely a nice feature to have.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. According to their site, it's going to be another 4 days before it should be done with training/learning.

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when you were a young lad, did you envision your future fun as an adult to be playing with thermostats? Laughing
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
The iOS app is pretty slick, I can turn the system on/off, set schedules, change settings, and a few other things. Definitely a nice feature to have.
...but how secure is it? If I were to challenge a friend of mine to hack into your sh*t how much work would it take for them to wake you up at 4am because your house is now 85 degrees?

That's my beef (aside from the upfront costs Laughing). I used to be super interested in this stuff but with people already hacking TVs and sending them into endless reset cycles, what's next?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, that would be uncomfortably hilarious. Almost like turning on the passenger seat heater to mess with your *insert person here*.

I have no idea (other than 'cuz they can) why someone would want to hack my t-stat! Laughing

ontrider, no, but it's a tech gadget, so that makes me interested in it!

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this old thread. Do you still have the Nest and what is your opinion of it now? We're looking to put something like this in the new place soon and wonder if it's worth it. There are a couple different home alarm type systems that will integrate with it so trying to decide if it is worth it.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, still love it. Our 1st gen model is still going strong - works perfectly.

That said, if I was buying today I'd probably get an Ecobee3 for the remote sensor feature alone.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll read a little more on both of them. One thing I'm not too sure about is how I plan to handle winter HVAC use. I'm heating the house primarily with the wood stove, so the thermostat would be set very low to only kick in if the temps get too low in the house.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe both have an "emergency mode" setting that will force the HVAC on if temps are either too high or too low.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look at that to see. That would be a good feature for my winter plans.
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie - When using wood heat, just put the heat setpoint at 55° or whatever you want the min temp to be. Also, if it's not too late be sure your furnace supports a circulation mode. That allows the fan to run (at a lower speed) even when the stat isn't calling for heat or cool. We heat primarily with wood and the circulation mode seems to really help keep the temps more consistent throughout the house.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was kind of what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure the furnace supports that, but will double check. We also added a couple spots at the near end of our hallways with a switch on the wall and plug near the ceiling so we can mount fans in the corners to push the warm air down the halls some.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
That was kind of what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure the furnace supports that, but will double check. We also added a couple spots at the near end of our hallways with a switch on the wall and plug near the ceiling so we can mount fans in the corners to push the warm air down the halls some.

I know for fact that the Nest supports a "circulation" mode. The way it works with Nest, is you can specify how long per hour (in 15m increments) that it will run.

I'm not sure what Ecobee offers on this front, but I'm sure they offer something. Hopefully it is more robust than Nest's offering. It would be great to be able to program it to turn the fan on based off of temp... like a two stage HVAC heat system. Stage 1 = just fan, Stage 2 = fan + heat.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would be awesome and would work very well for our application.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Nest gen 3 for 6-8 months and then it died. I think a thunderstorm knocked it out. Was replaced by an HVAC guy that only had a Gen2. So now I have a Gen 3 new nest just sitting in my closet until the 2 goes up in smoke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding circulation mode, you also need to ensure the furnace fan is variable speed. I'd think that most are nowadays but best to confirm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: