Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Nest Thermostat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Nest Thermostat Reply with quote

Just picked one up. Should be able to install by this weeked.

Anyone else thought about or have one of these? I have been intrigued by it since it was released.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recycle your old one as it is a universal hazardous waste.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO THE INTERNET!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the video is SO annoying. I'm so f'ing tired of these "clever" advertising campaigns that use the same kind of lame-ass music with this undercurrent of "we're so cute and trendy."

Makes me want to hit someone.

Ok, continuing....

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so it's just a programmable thermostat that takes longer to program because it analyzes trends?

Oh, and it can be controlled with your ipone.

What else?

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes no sense:

Quote:
Brrr. After an unseasonably cold day, you log in to your Nest Web app from the office to adjust the temperature at home.

Shouldn't your home be comfortable at the same temperature regardless of outside temperature?

b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
Shouldn't your home be comfortable at the same temperature regardless of outside temperature?

I've always wondered that myself. This is my first year living in a house - we had been in a condo before that so it was regulated much different... I hear of people who are adjusting their thermostats based off the outside temperature, but this makes no sense to me. I figure if you set your house to be at a "comfortable" temperature, then it should remain at that temperature regardless of the conditions outside...? I feel like I must be missing something..?
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is weird. What is the cost of this thing? And no time to read the white paper, so what's the summary chavez... what can it do a programmable can't besides "learning" - although I'm not really sure how that helps.

I set program my thermostat in the fall, shut it off in the spring and then program it again when it's time for the A/C to come on.

So basically I see this as you can adjust it off your phone and it looks kinda cool. I mean what is with all the "You can adjust it when you go to bed... or when you leave for work!" ...uhmm, mine is already programmed to change when I go to bed or leave during the day.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on a few things:

where is your thermostat in your house?
how good is the insulation in your house?
how good is the air flow in your house?

My thermostat is up front. I have a large living room with windows across the back that face west. I get the afternoon sun from about 1pm till 8pm cooking my living room. We have blinds, tint, and screens. We just had another air return and vent added to the living room. We are finally able to keep the room at 80 in the afternoon, while the other rooms in the house are 76. if i want 76 in my living room, my other rooms will be freezing.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I figure if you set your house to be at a "comfortable" temperature, then it should remain at that temperature regardless of the conditions outside...? I feel like I must be missing something..?

Yea. I think it's an emotional thing. My ex FIL's house was always FREEZING in the summer. AC turned down past the point that the heat would be set at if it was winter. IN winter, house was warmer than the temp he set it to in the summer.

There is a temp at which the human body is comfortable at rest. I forgot what that temp is, but I have had it ingrained in me as the son of an HVAC/Energy Management engineer.

What goofyboy describes is just compensating for poor design.

This Nest thermostat is sort of looking like a Mac version of thermostats.

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
This Nest thermostat is sort of looking like a Mac version of thermostats.

My thoughts exactly. All this new technology, but who really give a rip about controlling your thermostat from your phone.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor design, not enough insulation, etc.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. All this new technology, but who really give a rip about controlling your thermostat from your phone.

well, if I check my remote webcam and see a burglar in my house, I can call the police AND make it very uncomfortable for him until they arrive....

Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one!

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:

I'll probably "recycle" it by giving it to someone that could use an upgrade.

It's only about 2 years old, and is on the higher end of what is available then at the consumer level. Whoever gets it will likely be getting a big upgrade.

Summary of what it does:

Obviously, it's a thermostat, so the regular crap a thermostat does
Monitors humidity
Monitors weather (via internet)
Monitors activity (motion sensor)
Can automatically run "cycle" mode where it circulates air using fan only
Learns patterns of temperatures, occupancy, etc.
Automatically switches between modes
Turns compressor off when approaching end of cycle (read about Airwave)
Is controllable remotely
If you had multiple of these, they would work in sync via wifi
It dead simple to use for even the non-techie (turn dial right or left and it builds patterns on its own)

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn dial left or.... FORGET IT! THIS NEWFANGLED TECHNOLOGY IS TOO MUCH TROUBLE!!!!
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:

I'll probably "recycle" it by giving it to someone that could use an upgrade.

It's only about 2 years old, and is on the higher end of what is available then at the consumer level. Whoever gets it will likely be getting a big upgrade.

If it's post 1996 don't worry about it. Prior to that there was a chance of mercury which is subject to a proceeding right now.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, our thermostat is currently in the back hallway by the bedrooms. It is the coldest spot in the house typically. I'm seriously contemplating moving it closer to the living room as it stays warmer over there in the summer and colder over there in the winter. It's not much different in our bedroom either, so I think the overall effect would be better regulating the temp to suit our needs.

As it stands right now, we have to overcompensate the temp to keep the rest of the house right, and it never is really "right". Neutral

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you said you didn't have time to cook meals but you're moving thermostats? C'mon... Laughing
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, when you are potentially talking hundreds of $ per year wasted... yeah I will find some moment to climb in to the attic on the weekend. Laughing

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to see how much it really saves.

COST OF THERMOSTAT???
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

250 bucks
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez... i could almost mount an ipad on my wall for that much.

<hijack>
Side note tech question for chavez on phones since you're reading this thread already and know this stuff. Do you know if GPS data is considered "data" in the sense that you would be charged roaming rates? The question is, I have a GPS App on my phone (maps all loaded on the phone) so it is only using GPS co-ordinates to plot where you are on the maps... so is pulling the GPS co-ordinates considered data? I was told my data is completely off if I'm in Airplane mode, so I did that and the app still works... so I'm assuming if I use the app I wouldn't come home to a $500 data bill for roaming charges?</hijack>
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, GPS is not data.

I also have a GPS app with offline maps on my phone and use it occasionally. In fact, I've used it 15+ miles out in the Pacific and it worked flawlessly. Your phone's aGPS chip receives signals from satellites and/or cell towers, but it does not use a data connection.

And $250 is actually less than "competitive" Honeywell products. This 'stat is has a lot more going on in it, though. It does more than the competition for a bit less, and does not require a HVAC tech to install/setup. This is probably why Honeywell is trying to sue them out of business...

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I thought the price would be something ridiculous like $399... not bad at all.

I figured that with the GPS... but for some reason the last time I used it, it used like 100MB of data which made no sense ...even if it was pulling co-ordinates as "data" that amount of text would be nothing. Maybe it was the live-traffic or something that did it. That is good though, so I don't get lost in 'merica
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this, and at first glance I was very interested, but the more I dug into it, the more it appeared that it didn't replace my current control setup completely, and it looks like I'd need to buy multiple nests based on heat source and zone.

If I wasn't looking at $250 a zone, I'd be all over this assuming it can control all of the components of my HVAC.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjaszkow, they definitely have work to do for folks with multi-zone and more complex setups (humidifier/dehumid, air cleaners, etc). It will work in a multi-zone but if you don't install them in each zone it's flying blind. I think they should bring out a less expensive "remote" unit to use in secondary zones as soon as possible, they'd open a lot of doors for themselves.

pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lowes.com/pd_30683-37422-LTX9600TS-004_4294821951__?productId=3382178&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Programmable%2BThermostats_4294821951__%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

There you go, 7 day programmable thermostat. Save the same money, program it immediately, and all done for $70.

I'm thinking of making my own after I buy a house, and get the heating/ac hooked up good. With a microcontroller, you could set temp sensors up around the house and "zone" it off. You would either need a hydronic(water heat) or vent control.

Give us a report on how you like your Nest in a couple weeks. I'm curious to see how it performs.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_girl wrote:
cameraboy wrote:

I've always wondered that myself. This is my first year living in a house - we had been in a condo before that so it was regulated much different... I hear of people who are adjusting their thermostats based off the outside temperature, but this makes no sense to me. I figure if you set your house to be at a "comfortable" temperature, then it should remain at that temperature regardless of the conditions outside...? I feel like I must be missing something..?

Don't forget humidity. Humidity has a fairly big impact on comfort. Residential HVAC generally only controls temperature. If your thermostat is at 75, but it is 10% relative humidity, which would happen with colder outside air temperatures, then it could feel 5 - 10 degrees colder than what the thermostat is set to.

And yes another big part is perception. If you put 100 people in a 'standard conditions' room, something like 80% of people will be comfortable. 10% will be too cold. 10% will be too hot. If those people are big complainers, then even more people will start 'noticing' they are too hot or cold. Laughing Which can sometimes make for a giant headache in my line of work
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like a lot of work.

I don't get the cold weather outside so you need to turn up the heat? If the weather is cool outside and you have your thermostat turn to 69 or what ever you find comfortable shouldn't it be 69 reguardless of what the temp is outside?

Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but even though it says 69, doesn't mean you will perceive it as being 69. Haven't you ever thought the temperature was one thing, but the reading on the thermostat said another thing?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust, from what I'm reading, the Nest measures humidity, and can use that reading to make some adjustments.

As it should. The "feels like" temperature is the one we really want anyhow, may as well shoot for that...

Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but it only monitors the humidity.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faus, I am pretty sure ALL air conditioners work in part by removing humidity from the air
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if the surface temperature of the coil is colder than the dew point of the air blowing past it. Among many other things. But generally yes that is correct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: