Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Working Out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Working Out Reply with quote

Outside of riding more, what kind of workouts do yall do to help with riding? I have a "local gym" around close to me, but I hate going because it is always so busy, therefore I have gotten lazy and need to get back into it. Have a little bit of knee troubles every now and then (which isn't good because I'm still young...).
FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P90x is the most convenient for me but it is very hard.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about the P90x. Everyone has said good about it. I dont mind challenging myself at all. I just need to get out and do something.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that are riding-specific would be to work on your core more than anything. You could sit and make a list of what muscle groups you use to wakeboard and find that you use them all. I'd find a total body workout and do it 3 times a week with extra core work on those days. Do cardio and stretching the rest of the time.

To ask about specific exercises/routines, you'll get 30 answers from 30 people. Find a good total body workout program that YOU like or customize one that works all major muscle groups with both compound movements (presses and pulls) and isolated movements (curls/extensions) that YOU like to do. Don't put in a bunch of exercises you hate or you'll just fall off the wagon.

wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know that when I ride I use all of my muscles because my entire body is sore the next day. So basically I need to workout 3 times a week + core and the other days cardio and such. I usually do yoga after I ride because it helps stretch you out.

The only thing is that if I even wanted to customize my own total body workout, I wouldn't even know where to start. I usually just jog around my neighborhood and do sit-ups and such every other day and yoga on the others. The thing is I just get bored with it so I can't get the motivational drive to get up and do it.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a plan for your cardio and full body workout. For cardio, set a goal for running a mile. Beginner would be to try to run a mile in 12-15 minutes. Someone who is relatively fit could probably start with 2 miles at a time, trying to run it in less than 20 minutes total. If you that is too easy, bump it up to 3 miles at a time and try to do it in 25 minutes. Know your limitations but also know how to push it. That is probably a good start for cardio.

When I say "Full Body Workout" I'm talking about resistance training. Compound movements like:

(1) Chest: bench press, fly, and pushups;
(2) Shoulders: military press, lateral dumbell raises, seated rows, upright rows, and shoulder shrugs;
(3) Upper back: cable pull-downs, chin-ups/pull-ups; and
(4) Legs: squats & lunges (careful with these if you have bad knees).

These are all compound exercises that combine several muscles in a group to do the lifts.

During the same workout, you finish your compound movements and go to isolated movements to work individual muscles:

(5) Dumbbell bicep curls;
(6) Dumbbell tricep presses or cable pulldowns;
(7) Leg extensions (again, watch the knees);
(8 ) Leg curls;
(9) Standing calf raises; and
(10) Forearm curls/reverse forearm curls.

You can google every one of these exercises and see a video of someone doing them.

Even better, if you have a smartphone or tablet go to JEFIT.COM and create an account for free. You can create your own workout using the exercises you want to use. You can view the animation of the exercise being done. Once you create a routine, you can view it on your smartphone and keep logs of your workouts and everything right there. So basically you can take your workout plan everywhere you go and do it right there.

For core workouts, there are TONS of "magic abs" workouts and stuff out there. Yoga gets you some good core work so that is good you're doing that. Your total body workout will work your core some. Follow it up 2 sets of planks that you hold for 90 seconds each and then work yourself up to 5 planks of 2 minutes each 3 X a week. Then do one set of side planks for 90 seconds per side. Then do 25 lying leg lifts. Again Google the videos of these if you don't know what they are.

All of this can be done for FREE using Google if you want to do it bad enough. Really your plan should be for 2-3 compound movements per muscle group and 1-2 isolated movements per muscle. Do it 3 times a week and do core stuff for your upper and lower abs, each side, and your back 3 times a week as well. Do cardio 2-3 days per week and do your yoga to stretch. You'll be in hella good shape after about 6 weeks.

Here's the thing about a routine, change the lifting movements every 4 weeks or so to keep your body progressing. And don't be afraid of weights because you'll get too muscular. If you keep the reps high and the amount of weight low that will keep you more toned than bulky.

wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can run 2 miles in about 25 minutes, but I have not really tried to push myself when it comes to running. I guess I could push myself a little bit though.

I usually try to do lunges and squats, but as you said they are killer on my knees. I have tried to stick with doing pushups and pull-ups, but that didn't last very long at all Razz

I haven't done any isolated movements in a really long time, but I guess now that I have some ways to do it then I guess I should start again.

I will most definitely have to Google some of these.

I don't have a smartphone or a tablet so...I will just keep track of it myself. I love doing yoga because it is fun and relaxing.

So lets make sure I have this straight: 3 times a week 2-3 compound movements and 1-2 isolated movements. Then 3 times a week core stuff. Then yoga for 2ish days. And switch lifting movements every couple of weeks.

Thanks SO much. This helps a ton. I finally have ideas that I can play with when I work out. I will have to plan it out or I won't stick with it, but I am going to get back into it for sure. Thanks again.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you've pretty much got it. Just choose exercises that work all of your muscle groups for your compound movements and also make sure the isolated movements hit the major muscle groups. Choose movements that aren't complicated and that you can watch once and say "GOT IT." Google will give you infinite results.

Using Google will also help you find knee-friendly leg exercises. Take care of those knees!

wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've realized that I need to start smaller and work myself up. Thats the truth...I tried google-ing a few things and there were so many results of different ways to do things. Yeah my knees are my biggest worry right now. I dont mind being sore from these workout, but my knees dont get your normal sore; they get really painful once in a while...
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.livestrong.com/article/423587-workout-program-good-for-bad-knees/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/404969-exercise-programs-for-people-with-bad-knees/

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/The_Best_and_Worst_Exercises_for_Bad_Knees.htm

These should be a good guideline for you.

wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Its probably not good to have bad knees at a young age is it? Razz
JoLo_Si
Criminal
Criminal

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wake2wakefitness.com

Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while but there are some good vids and advice for free. I check it out every once in a while to change it up or skip the gym and work from home.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to look at that!
actionmama
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Mountain Home

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrossFit. They have a website and program workouts daily. Some of the stuff may seem strange, but it's the best thing going for overall health.

Constantly varied, high intensity, functional fitness. Based upon 10 fitness domains...cardio/respiratory, endurance, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy.

I love it and will never do anything else.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never even heard of CrossFit. They have different workout routines daily is that what you mean?
mferrari

City: Eastern Shore

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionmama wrote:
CrossFit. They have a website and program workouts daily. Some of the stuff may seem strange, but it's the best thing going for overall health.

Constantly varied, high intensity, functional fitness. Based upon 10 fitness domains...cardio/respiratory, endurance, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy.

I love it and will never do anything else.

^This

I've been doing CrossFit for about a year and half off and on. By far one of the best things I have done. With that said I can hope on a wake board all day without getting too tired. It works a lot of core and legs, pretty much ever muscle you use for normal day to day activities.

Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Nice, I workout, but I ride every weekend for a good hour or two, so my wake boarding muscles get built up by the time I have to go back to school :<! I'm just glad for the time I get out, beats crappy old H-school!
diane21

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workout and Exercise plays is the most important part in our life it helps to burn calories of our body, we have to maintain daily exercise so we will stay fit and healthy and we will never be overweight I think.

NYC Fraxel

Last edited by diane21 on Aug 28, 2012 1:34 am; edited 2 times in total
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakechick13, made any progress?
FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude thats cold asking her how her summer went 1st day back to school. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: