Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

my boat upgrades (finally)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: my boat upgrades (finally) Reply with quote

considering that our family boat was purchased in 1994 and I've been wakeboarding since 1996, I'm finally getting a tower I wanted since the first time I ever saw one I'm very excited. In the process Phoenix Winch became a dealer for Monster Towers, I ordered their basic one given the age of my boat (which is far more suitable for skating than boarding), ordered racks, and killer speakers, I also installed a second (29 group) battery for the new stereo so basically this boat will stun those in the party cove, most of the components arrive this week so I'll do my best to post pictures of the progress:

the isolater was a fairly easy install, I will replace the supplied screws with stainless bolts and nuts in the coming days, the orange wire is the original output from the alternator to the starting battery, the blue wire is the new output from alternator to isolator, the black wire is the positive from new battery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my amps and sub installed last night and 90% of the wiring, enough to fire up the sub amp and let it pound for a few min, my phone died while working so no pictures until later, has anyone run a charger/maintainer at the isolater contact point to simulate the alternator in storage? thats what I'm thinking about doing but want to know it's safe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked up the charger to the isolator point and it did not recognize the batteries.

supermanotorious wrote:
has anyone run a charger/maintainer at the isolater contact point to simulate the alternator in storage? thats what I'm thinking about doing but want to know it's safe

here are the amps, obviously I need to button up the wiring which I'll do after installing the new head unit, the Monster Tower showed up yesterday and I'll get to that next week because this weekend is Lakefest at Apache Lake and you know the Winchmaster 5000 can't miss that

poobeyla

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow It looks awesome, I would like to install them in my boat. can you plz let me know how much it cost you?

Last edited by poobeyla on Jun 11, 2012 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fosgate amp $60 (Ultimate Electronics going out of biz) Optimus amp $0 (free from friend) wiring inc distribution blocks $120 (Rabadi & Sons) Sub $0 (retailer mess up) Head unit $0 (from an older vehicle of mine)

I wasn't in a position to buy all this new but since I had most of it laying around and finally ordered the tower I decided to get to installing, keep in mind I'm a dealer for both Monster Tower and Bulletlines, check out their gear and let me know if you want to order

Baltfrog
Addict
Addict

City: Baltimore

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see the tower, sounds like you are definitely improving that rig of yours.
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Monster Tower instructions say that if your fiberglass is at least 3/8" thick you can simply use their feet with no reinforcement, I think I'm right at 3/8" but decided to add a peice of 3/8" plywood coated in urethane to play it safe

exhausted we assembled the tower but didn't align it just yet

in the morning she looked awesome

racked out!

speaker time

and of course, we had to test it

supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the tower wiring in, all that's left is to wire loom it which I ordered white from Amazon, and I need to button up the amp wiring, took it out with my ladies for Fathers Day and had a blast, the system sounds so good!
carp22

City: great falls

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sharp... The only question i have is how did you get your speaker wires inside your metal tubing? I built my own tower and speakers and just have the wires zip tied to the tubing.
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drilled holes in the top and bottom of the tubing and fished the wire, I tried using twine and a vacuum as recommended in this link, although the twine was getting sucked into the tubing, it did not meet the vacuum, I endend up using a stiff cable to fish as you would in home theaters, I'll post pictures later

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=91557

supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tower speaker wiring fished thru tubing

Bulletlines disconnect http://www.bulletlines.com/universal-wakeboard-tower-speaker-wiring-kit-p/1.htm

split

end of run

Baltfrog
Addict
Addict

City: Baltimore

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good man
giddyupca

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should put grommets on the wire between the wire and the tower, to protect the wire from rubbing through. I have seen it happen many times

Good job
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, I plan to feed the wire loom into the holes to protect the wire

giddyupca wrote:
You should put grommets on the wire between the wire and the tower, to protect the wire from rubbing through. I have seen it happen many times

Good job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: