Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

the deliciousness thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ! I was just bitching in another thread about how there are no new members on this forum, and how we are all slacking ass when it comes to giving each other hell on this forum like we used to. The lowest post count in this thread is like 3k. WTF??? Does no one wakeboard anymore? Is this forum dying? Where are all the new members we used to make fun of all the time. Did we run them all off?
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake wrote:
Where are all the new members we used to make fun of all the time. Did we run them all off?

Real estate and construction died along with the quick cash that comes to young people in that industry.

eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "social media" has had a large impact on message board traffic as well.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are new people, they just stay out of the Non Wake section to avoid you ass holes Laughing
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TnR6Rida, who are you calling "you ass holes"? Laughing

GET BACK TO THE STEAK!

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: May 19, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first attempt at scallops

sweet potatoes and kale boiling

roasted garlic (1/2 for sweet potatoes, 1/2 for kale), clarified butter and mixed shrooms (cremini, baby portabello and baby brown pearls)

tomatoes roasting

sweet potato mashers

kale and garlic, shrooms

scallops

building the plate up

deliciousness achieved!
pyrocasto

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: May 19, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after looking in on this thread a few times I cant take it. I'm gonna try a pan seared steak this week if I can, maybe even tomorrow night. Very Happy

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 20, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say doing steak on the grill is worse than pan fried. Then you're doing it wrong.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions but I've never had a friend steak near as good as grilled.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 20, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are frying a steak, you are most certainly doing it wrong. Wink
pyrocasto

PostPosted: May 20, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy wrote:
If you say doing steak on the grill is worse than pan fried. Then you're doing it wrong.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions but I've never had a friend steak near as good as grilled.

I would agree 100%.

That is until I tried it tonight. Laughing Pretty much followed JT's original on some ribeyes tonight and I have to say I have never had a steak that tender and perfect. With only salt and pepper that was at minimum tied for the best steak I've ever had. My steak was an inch or so thick, and eneded up at medium, but it was as tender as a rare one. I will grab a thicker cut or kill the times down by touch next time.

Salted to dry for about 15min, then washed, dried, and seasoned.
Seared on high after pan was preheated at 500F, for 45-50sec per side.
Covered and let set for 15 min, then tossed in the oven for 4 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Eat anytime afterward.

Fried up some bell peppers, sliced portabello, and sliced onions, in 1 stick of clarified butter.

Couldnt have asked for a better meal. Thanks guys.
Very Happy

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: May 20, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has me so ready to cook.... Maybe Tuesday....

Jt, you're killing it....
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... want to grab a steak now but the stores are closed today!!! Neutral
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrocasto wrote:
Covered and let set for 15 min, then tossed in the oven for 4 minutes, flipping halfway through.

swap these two steps - the rest should come at the end.

glad you enjoyed it! i was all kinds of skeptical as well, since i had always equated steak on the stovetop w/ cheap ass thin steaks and poor folks who couldn't afford a grill. it took me probably a half dozen attempts to get it perfect, and i've definitely had better success w/ thicker cuts. if the ones in the case don't look to be at least 1.25", i ask them to cut me a fresh one. also, i really look for a clean fat finger through the middle - i want one vein, not one that's all branched out.

thanks E.J.! cooking really is my passion and i'm trying more and more new things that i've been kind of scared to try before. that was my 1st attempt at scallops and i can tell you it's going to be something i make a LOT from now on!

one thing i'm doing now is cooking for friends. i have a lot of married friends who have nice houses/kitchens and we're doing little dinner parties where they buy the food and i cook it at their house.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a couple of other dishes i've photographed over the last year or so.

steak tenderloin w/ sauce bearnaise

steak and shrimp

chicken parm

bacon wrapped pork loin stuffed w/ roasted japs and tomatoes

seared ahi, but no good plating pic
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: ATL

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT..Two questions:

1) Any certain place you are finding your recipes?

2) Are you turning into a fatty from eating all of this stuff?

Laughing

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha - i'm definitely not getting any skinnier, that's for sure!

as for recipes, mostly from the gm steakhouse board on shaggybevo: http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/forumdisplay.php/15

it's a food/travel board and there's a lot of good suggestions, recipes, ideas there. plus, i've always had an interest in cooking, worked in restaurants, etc, so when i eat out, i try and pay attention to the description on the menu and figure out if i can recreate it at home. i do use the food network website for recipes or cooking techniques as well.

for instance, i knew basically how seared scallops are made, but i looked them up on there to get a true recipe/directions. as for the rest of that dish, i needed a starch and veggies, so i just thought about what i liked and what would go together. i had a sweet potato in the cupboard that had been there for like a month, so i knew i could mash that w/ roasted garlic for a nice savory starch. there was some mixed mushroom scallops recipe on foodnetwork.com so i kind of adapted that (really just bought different shrooms than i usually use for steak, but prepared them the same way). i've been a big fan of kale lately and i wanted a green veggie but didn't want it all by itself, so added the roasted tomato and garlic.

the tenderloin w/ sauce bearnaise is something we've always made in our family, and the chicken parm is pretty standard, but i learned how to do the skillet ribeye, seared ahi and bacon wrapped tenderloin on shaggy.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starving looking at all the red meat! I'm eating what I call fattie plates right now to cut some weight... crock pot chicken and veggies was the last one. Crying or Very sad It's working, but I want REAL MEAT!!!

fattie-plate.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  77.75 KB
 Viewed:  16018 Time(s)

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm... cheat day deliciousness. Thanks Jt09!

deliciousness.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  49.94 KB
 Viewed:  15976 Time(s)

matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 21, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
pyrocasto wrote:

swap these two steps - the rest should come at the end.

I prefer the rest before the oven as well, for the reason finkle mentioned earlier.

After searing the steak I let it sit on a warm plate for ~15min. Then oven, and after finished let sit for another 5-10 min. while finishing everything else. Not sure the final rest is really needed, but it usually works out that way while I am finishing everything else. I haven't found a need to cover it for either rest, but do occasionally.
pyrocasto

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cover it just as a paranoia that it may dry out some. Gotta learn something new this week.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys can do it however you want, but there's a reason you rest after cooking, not in the middle. you know, science and all that. Wink
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, if meat is your cheat day treat, i think you're doing something wrong.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the scallops there jt...I'll have to start taking some more pictures and posting some of my older ones. I've gotten more and more into cooking a variety of items and have managed to find some really good recipes.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more the size of the meal than the meat... bodyfat % is going doooowwn, (according to my shitty weight watchers scale) so I must be doing something right. I hope anyway.
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry jt09 but there is a specific reason why you rest the steak AFTER searing but BEFORE finishing. You obviously know how to make some bomb meals but trust me on this. Try it once and you will be convinced. You can cook it rare and never bloody. You also don't need to cover it with foil or rest on a warm plate, simply room temp.

But if you prefer to continue eat steaks that bleed all over the plate, continue your way. That ahi and tenderloin with bearnaise looks amazing.

I made a T-bone sunday with grilled asparagus, twice baked, and stuffed mushrooms. Definitely the best meal I've had in quite awhile. Cool

Baltfrog
Addict
Addict

City: Baltimore

PostPosted: May 22, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shaking my head at the fried shrimp, as a marylander I don't approve. Old bay vinegar onions garlic water, steam for a few minutes, only way to prepare shrimp IMO. Everything else looks unreal JT, i'm jealous
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 27, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, giving your first recipe a go here tonight, Jt.... I forgot mushrooms, so am substituting onions. I also don't have course salt(thought I did?), so standard table salt is what I am salting with....hope that doesn't effect it? Confused

I also never picked up a garlic roaster, so we're going with a small pan and covering it....

Long story short, I'm going with what I have and hoping for the best. About 35 minutes into the garlic roasting and the house smells fantastic(I'm a fan of garlic).

Also going with a side of diced cheesy potatoes at the Little One's request. She's helping me, mom is working.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 27, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievably good....WOW.... I raise my glass to you, Jt... Ruined the steak for the Little One, too spicy with the pepper. Everything done inside, wasn't going outside to the grill. Michelle is working, will be very jealous.....

Now having an AWESOME after dinner Trinidad Reyes with another glass of wine, solid evening.... Very Happy
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 27, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you liked it ej!

i know i come off as a food snob (and i am), but i am hoping this is a sharing thread, not a snob thread. i've learned so much from forums, so i'm hoping to simply pass some food karma along.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job EJ...love to see the kids involved too! I'm so thankful my Mom had us cook with her.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice EJ, pick up some Kosher salt or coarse sea salt next time, it does make a bit of a difference
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to do this again tonight. The meat will be a filet this time. Planning to pair it up with several items including artichoke (one of my oldest's favs), a cheesy cauliflower dish I really like, garlic bread and maybe some salad. I found a recipe that sounds good for a bourbon reduction glaze that I'm going to try to see how I like it, also. Got a few bottles of one of my new favorite beers also http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/rye-on-rye/. Birthday dinner for me (even though I'll be doing the bulk of the cooking)...should be a good night.
Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple weeks back I tried the indoor steak following JT's directions and it turned out awesome.

Is there a trick to not smoking up the whole house when searing it. Our vent hood is one of the crappy recirculating types. I also apparently need a bigger cast iron skillet because I had to sear them one at a time so I couldn't just take them straight from the stove to the oven in the same pan.

We are having friends over to grill out tonight and I am thinking about trying to sear it but then finish on the grill. Any suggestions on the time? The grill won't be at 500deg so I am guessing it will need a little longer. Also, should I put it directly over the coals or off to the side?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think if you want to finish on the grill, try to make the grill similar to the over. Go indirect heat, but as hot as you can get. But, if you're firing up the grill anyway, why not sear over direct heat on the grill at max temp, then move them over for the finish.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooga678 wrote:
Is there a trick to not smoking up the whole house when searing it.

open all your windows and turn on all your fans. you'll get less smoke if you clarify the butter first as well.

Nooga678 wrote:
We are having friends over to grill out tonight and I am thinking about trying to sear it but then finish on the grill. Any suggestions on the time? The grill won't be at 500deg so I am guessing it will need a little longer. Also, should I put it directly over the coals or off to the side?

i would think directly over the coals, especially if you plan to leave them in the skillet. i'm not so skilled w/ charcoal grills. haven't had one since high school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Add To Favorites

Jump to: