Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Utah Winch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Utah Winch Reply with quote

I heard about winches a couple of years back from some ski vids, looked them up and saw that they were like $2500 bucks so i never really thought about them anymore until last summer i saw this ghetto little thing in a wakeboard film and was like what the heck people are making these! So I started building in the fall and now have finally finished. I wanted to build a winch that was 1. different from what people have already made and 2. somewhat protected from the outside elements to prevent it from weathering and rusting as fast... which led me to a grinch winch design. The final product looks a little different especially in size but i think i got it pretty close. Tell me what you think.

I started with the engine, i used a harbor freight 11hp motor which i got for like $240 and a tav from bulletlines.

For the spool i followed B-nasty's design which was actually pretty easy to build. I used 3/8'' spool walls which was a big mistake, i regretted it a while ago, but now even though they weigh like 100000000 pounds it makes it super easy to pull the line out because it is carrying so much momentum.

For the frame i used 2x2 14 gauge square tubing, 1/4'' engine mounting plate, and like 3/16'' 2x2 tubing for the trailer hitch extender

Now, to finish it off and complete my 2 goals i got about 45 sq. feet of 24 gauge sheet metal and through a fudgin long process of cutting, folding, and drilling finally finished a design that is similar to Distortion's.

Painted everything over spring break. I used the rustoleum truck bed liner for almost everything, which i am pretty happy with it gives it a slight textured feeling and is holding up pretty well. And now the final product.

Specs:

Engine / Transmission
*11hp honda clone engine
*transmission-10 tooth #41 1'' torque converter
*#41 chain

Spool / Axle components
*spool-15'' outer diameter, 8'' inner diameter, and 6.5'' wide- with 600ft 7/64'' amsteel it has wound up about inch tall so maybe it was a little bit of overkill for that rope but it looks pretty bamf
*sprocket-54 tooth for #41 chain- making my winch have a gear ration of 10:54 or 1:5.4
*1'' keyed axle, 1'' pillow blocks, and 1'' hubs for spool walls and sprocket
*mountain bike mechanical disc brake with bigger rotor from bmikarts

Frame / outer body
*44'' x 20'' made from 2x2 14ga. sq. tubing
*24 ga. sheet metal
*10'' wheels, round tubing for handles, welded on eye bolts for securing winch, atv roller fair lead, and lever brake and gas throttle controls
Baltfrog
Addict
Addict

City: Baltimore

PostPosted: May 08, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build, hows it work?
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: May 09, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks legit. Have you used it yet? How much did you invest in the entire project for all the materials?
Abuse

PostPosted: May 11, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 1. I will only change position of fairlead. I think that it is better to set it as high as possible.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: May 11, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abuse, Depends on which way the spool goes. I assume it's wrapping from the bottom.
bs

PostPosted: May 11, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to test the winch and it pulls so nice. It has a ton of power and can deep water start as fast as a boat. However me and my buddies had to quit early because the chain started loosening... a ton. I used ny-locking nuts on the pillow blocks and engine base but not threatlocker. So my question is if this is normal for the first water test? does the chain strecth that much? or is because i didn't use thread locker?

Quote:

mgs917

, i probably put close to a thousand for parts and then maybe 2-300 more for some fabrication that i didn't want to do.

Quote:

Abuse,

gnarshredd is right my winch spool spins from bottom to top so i put the fairleader on the bottom.
Abuse

PostPosted: May 14, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gnarshredd is right my winch spool spins from bottom to top so i put the fairleader on the bottom.

What are pluses of spining from bottom to top? I think that the higher point of towing is the better. I know cca 10'' makes no difference, but ... Wink
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 14, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abuse, Not really a difference either way with a winch, depends on how you have the motor set-up/which way it's spinning. Higher towing point can help a little to clear low-lying brush or something but the pull is probably about the same.
Abuse

PostPosted: May 14, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok:) It is not possible to revert engine by 180 degrees to get reverse spin? But OK i see that there is no reason for that, so why deal with it? Smile
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 14, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abuse, Yep, that would do it. Like you said, no real need to though.
bs

PostPosted: May 14, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abuse, i did it from the bottom for 2 reasons...
1. I wanted the exhaust to face away from the spool otherwise i would have to buy or make a exhaust blocker and i wanted to sit in front of the winch with out it being super loud and having fumes in my face
2. The main reason is because the only way i could have gotten the tav on is grind down some of the engine, some of the tav, and have to take it off every couple of months because it would have blocked the oil fill

.... so i avoided all of these problems by putting it on in the reverse way of the norm and a plus that came was i used a lot less chain which equals less slack later on
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 14, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the panels. gives it a nice clean look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Abuse

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of brake did you use? Do you use it sometimes?
bs

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake i am using is a generic brand but a lot like the "Avid BB5" I got mine from ebay for like $30 or so. If you do get something like it just make sure it comes with all the hardware you need to instal like screws, spacers, etc.
Here is one that i found, it has two so it is a little bit more expensive but it shows you everything you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FRONT-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-SET-160MM-ROTORS-BIKE-BICYCLE-4-SETS-AVID-BB5-PADS-/280902669793?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41671a95e1

For the rotor i used a hardened steel 6'' rotor from bmikarts and just regular bike brake cable and lever for the rest.

It was super easy to install and havent touched it since, and yes i use it almost every pull because 1. my spool spins a bit unless resistence is given and 2. the brake stops the handle immediately so i dont have to worry about being to close or having a noob drive while i ride
Abuse

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. We do our first tests without brake and we will se if it is necessary. I ll share some photos of our clone of your winch when I have some:)
bs

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a lot of people manage fine with out one so you should be aight. Wait you are building a clone of my winch? ...if so i got some tips for you that i would do differently. where you located?
Abuse

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we are going to use your frame and we like your frames outer body. But we are not going to clone your winch part by part. I live in Ctech Republic in Pilsen aka "Capital of bier" Very Happy I'll be very glad if you give me some tips.
bs

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing that i would keep in mind is keep it light and compact, keep the weight down and plan it out so you don't have a lot of emty space like mine. If your putting on a tow ritch receiver make it detachable so it doesnt add 20 pounds. If you do the panels it is going to add close 30-50 lbs so depending on what size of motor you use it could be right around 200 which i hate about mine. I would use smaller spool walls like 1/8 steel or 3/16 aluminum. Four wheels are a must. I love the gear ratio, perfect amount of power and tons of speed so yeah i would probably try to stick around a t least a 8-9 hp or higher to use the 1:5.4. Dont go wider than 6-7 inches on your spool and i would keep an o.d. of at least 12''.... i can explain if you want. And the last thing, even though you already decided, i would still highly recommend putting on a brake. My tav still pulls the rope in while at idle, and if i dont use the brake i have to kill the throttle while the rider is still a 100 feet out. It is just convenient, you can ride more places. Take pics of the build and get a vid of the final product in action
Abuse

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. We are trying to reduce weight and size as possible. We have a motor 13hp Honda clone, which itself weighs about 65 pounds ( Gear ratio is 1:5,6. I'm thinking that we do panels made ​​of expanded metal or perhaps plastic. This could reduce some weight. As for brakes, for prototype will be missing, but it is possible that after the first tests we add some. Can you explain please the thing about spool? I didnt understand what you think. I am looking forward to take some photos, but for now we are waiting for welder guy to do some action. ASAP I have some new pics I will upload them on forum. Smile
bs

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah so what i advise is definately use a strong but light material for you walls such a s 1/8'' steel or 3/16' aluminum just to keep the weight down.... i think you got that part though. as for the rest, it all has to do with gear ratio, which yours is great, and spool size. but what i was saying is for the width of the spool dont go over 7 inches or else your line will start getting tangled and fall down and shiz and you will just have a lot of problems... i use a 6.5'' wide spool and for my next build i will only use a 6'' wide spool, and it saves axle space so you don't need a super wide winch... mine is only 20''. Now for the inner and outer diameters, because you have a smaller distance between the two walls you need the walls to be higher to hold the rope. For the inner diameter, or where the bolts that the rope winds about are, use a 8 inch inner diameter becase with that gear ratio and engine your winch will haul with oodles of torque. For the outer diameter it depends on what rope you use, if you use 7/64'' amsteel you could hold 1000' on a 12'' O.D. but if you use like harbor freight 1/4'' line you are going to want closer to a 15'' spool... thats how big mine is and it is way to much for my 7/64'' rope.
Abuse

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: spool Reply with quote

I am glad to hear this from you, because it corresponds to what I designed myself:) My spool is going to have width 16 cm (cca 6,3'') and tree changeable inner diameters 20, 25 and 30 centimeters (8, 10, 12 inches). Outer diameter is 40 or 45cm (cca 16'' or 18''). Whole winch will have those dimensions. 100x50x50cm (40x20x20 in inches). Welder told that he has finally material and he is going to weld it together this week. So i am looking forward the result.
Abuse

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Engine and TAV Reply with quote

Engine and TAV2
Abuse

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: missing photo Reply with quote

For unknown reason photo in last post is missing so another try
bs

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang... your winch is going to be sweet. I can't wait to see the final product:) I mean with your adjustable spool if you ride at 12'' with that gearing your beast is going to haul... mine pulls 25+ easy at 8 yours should pull in the thirties. And electric start on the motor? niiiiice
Abuse

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been wakebording behind boat. Here in Europe it is not so common as in the U.S. And cable parks has pulling speed about 30kmph what is cca 19 mph. So I can't wait to test our little beast:D I hope I'll be soon able to show some photos or videos.
rmaytee
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see some vids of this in action.
Abuse

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody is somehow delayed, but it seems that I start making first tests. Ill upload some video ASAP.
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you bend your sheet metal, with a brake? or with hammer and pliers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bs

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clamped the sheet metal down, wood or table on bottom then sheet metal and then on top a 90 degree edge to start the bend (i used a long piece of 2''^2 tubing). Once in position i then used a 2-by-4 to start the bend and brought the wood togher with the square tubing. Finally i unclamped the sheet metal and gently hammered it with rubber mallot to get perfect 90 degree angle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Winching All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: