Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Need advice on first time wakeboard for nephew...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slicendice

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Need advice on first time wakeboard for nephew... Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I've been wakeboarding a few times and absolutely love it - sadly I don't have the opportunity to do it very often, but the last time I went, my nephew came with me and he LOVED it! He's now desperate to get his own board and get into it in a much bigger way.

As it's his 18th soon, I was wondering about getting him a board and bindings to get him going - nothing uber flashy or fancy and I certainly don't want to spend a fortune. I just want something that will stand him in good stead and get him going in the right direction.

As regards what would be a good board to get, well that's where I'm a little clueless! He's a tall guy at ~6'4", weighs in at around 185-190lbs (~86.5 kg) and has size 12-13 feet (UK). I believe from looking around online that he'd need a board of ~140cm and an XL size binding? Is that right?

I've seen a couple of boards on eBay that aren't too expensive but as for whether they're a good buy or not....I really don't know. One is a Liquid Force Evolution 142 and the other is a Ron Marks Mission 140cm. Both are in decent condition and come with bindings. Would either of those be a good buy?

Any help, guidance, advice, etc would be hugely appreciated

Many thanks
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you want to spend? Will your nephew be riding cable or boat or both?
Stay away from Ron Marks and other non-brands. Liquid Force, Hyperlite, Ronix, CWB are some of the major brands. Look for their entry models. The Evolution is a pretty old shape, not bad at all but you might want to get something newer.

slicendice

PostPosted: May 08, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info

He'll be riding almost exclusively behind a boat - cable would be pretty unlikely I think. In terms of budget, to be honest I don't have a hard and fast limit but if it's possible to keep it under £200 that would be good - I realise that's never going to get the latest and greatest but as he's only just getting into it, I don't really want to spend a fortune and would rather get something second hand/slightly older than splurging on something new.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: May 09, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome.
See what LFADAM said here http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=92278&highlight= about the Liquid Force Trip. I fully agree.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: