Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

wake board setup for a giant person?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtuna

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: wake board setup for a giant person? Reply with quote

I am 6'6" 250 and I wear a size 16 shoe (though in timberland boots and reef sandals I can make do with a 15)

I want to try wakeboarding....so help me find some optoins for bindings/boards that would be a good fit for me. I was reading one of the other threads here and saw that people recommended the XXL CWB bindings...one post mentioned the vapor which might work well with the open toe...what other bindings should I consider?

Another question before I get to a board...do any bindings work on any board? or do I need a CWB board with CWB bindings?

With regards to a board I assume I will want the biggest I can find (bigger surface area for my weight/size)...is that going ot be a 144? Any suggestions?

And finally I have a jet ski that I bought a few years ago and while based on my research I gather that wakeboarding "sucks behind a jet ski" I am thinking it will be fine for me just learning and if I ever figure out how to get up and actually ride...then I can look for a better tow vehicle (friends' boats etc). Does that sound like a plan or is it going to be harder to learn on a PWC? I was thinking the quiet motor, the easy start/stopping/spinning around/lower gas consumption would make it a decent optoin.
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

146 is the largest size I've seen for a board. Take a look at Parks Bonifay's Ronix pro models, the Parks and the older Ibex series. His design philosophy in recent years has been to give his boards a massive surface area. They're very wide. The 144 should float you well.
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of ski are you planning to ride behind? I know a few people that ride or ski behind jet skis. As long as it has enough power to pull you up, the ski should work fine. There are all kinds of tricks you can learn behind a jet ski. Surface spins, ollies, ollie 180s, ollie 360s, and different slides. Most bindings over the past 2-3 years, 2009 and newer will fit any board. However, you should double check here or with whoever you order from first to make sure they will fit.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest stuff we have is:

Hyperlite State 145 XL boots
Ronix Vault 144 with Divide XL boots
Trip 146 with Index 12-15 boots
Kink 146 with XXL Vapors or XXL torq

For a guy as big as you are I would go with the largest board in the model you are interested in. The State and Vault are always top sellers for beginner riders over 225lbs.

I have had larger riders than you behind my boats and they have no problems riding. Will just take you some time to figure out how to getup and ride. It is a little different for some big guys to get started but once you figure out how to get up you will have no problems.

Give us a call at Boardstop if you need some help with a board.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
bigtuna

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback guys....the ronix park models look cool but are much more expensive than some of the other suggested models so I am thinking I will probably go for a hyperlite state or a ronix vault, both of which look to be around 200 for the board....with these two boards can I use any binding as suggested above or should I stick with the same brand as the board?

do you think the CWB XXL boots are bigger than the hyperlite/ronix XL ones or do the diff brands' sizes just run differently?

as far as the ski...I have a honda f12x. Its not one of the 255hp SeaDoos but I feel like it should have enough power (165hp) to get me up pretty easily. I would think if its lacking anything its going to be the mass of a boat but that should only come into play once you're up...and if i get that far...ill consider it a win Smile
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Divide boots might be your best bet. Since HL and Ronix have packages I would suggest buying them as a package. If you buy the items separate then you are going to pay more. We have both the large sizes in stock at Boardstop/Wakeboarder.com so check them out. A 16 shoe is pretty big You might hang over the footbeds of all the bindings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Baltfrog
Addict
Addict

City: Baltimore

PostPosted: May 02, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to a realization last night that I think getting towed behind a ski, you are better off with a regular water ski rope as opposed to a zero stretch. Last time i went out behind a ski i didn't like it nearly as much as i had remembered. I think the zero stretch rope was pulling the ski too hard. So thats my recommendation if you are getting pulled behind a ski, use a normal cheapo waterski rope so there is some give.
anw7405
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: edmond

PostPosted: May 02, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that jet ski will have any problem at all pulling him up. I had a single engine seadoo boat with 215 hp and loaded it down with 1050lbs of ballast and 7 people and still managed to pick up 200+ riders. It cavitated a little at first but still did it. I think 165hp will be plenty to pull him up when its on a jet ski. I would stick to the non stretch rope in my opinion.
bigtuna

PostPosted: May 03, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rope i have now is a cheap typical ski rope...whats the downside or potential downside to using a stretch rope like this? Will it be harder to learn or get up or does the rope just come into play for tricks and stufF?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 03, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting up and riding around would not be a problem but when you are trying to load the line and keep all that power 'bottled' up before you hit the wake a stretch line is not good. You want a non-stretch rope that will not lose and of that stored up energy you are creating in your cut.

The LG rope/handle combo from Proline is pretty cheap at $89.99

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2545

bigtuna

PostPosted: May 03, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I can actually get up and ride around that will be an epic accomplishment....at which point in time I will surely spend limitless dollars on accessories to help me do more Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: