Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

injuries anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakeraver

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: injuries anyone? Reply with quote

I feel so........old. I just learned to wakeboard close to age 40, and I'm in my 4th season. I am also kind of a woose, but I try hard. My second season out I was trying to switch to fakey and crashed hard, broke my eardrum. So, now I'm gunshy and I got more cautious than I was initially. I did get a helmet for myself, just because I didn't feel like breaking the eardrum again. How do I get over my fear and cautiousness? And have you all been injured wakebaording ever? I really, really love this sport, and even though I'm still feeling like a begginer, I am addicted! Sometimes it's all I can think about. I can catch air, make sharp, quick turns and my form is good, but I'm just scared to try any switches....Help!
grlywake
Criminal
Criminal

City: Central/So. Cal.

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel over cautious sometimes my self. I tryed salom sking and almost broke my leg I never did that again. I think that holds me back at times. I just go for it and just think it's just water and not pavement. I used to skateboard also. I broke my arms a few time doing that. But so far no injurie's from wakeboarding. Im 25 and I felt that I was getting old for the sport, but I'll never stop!! I hope I'm out there at 40!! Way too go!! Sorry about the ear.
WetChick19
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Wichita/Lawrence/OP

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was trying a backroll last month and knocked myself out...had a concussion, but it wasn't too bad. Gotta fall to learn.
wakeraver

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I think waterskiing is way harder than wakeboarding. My back would always get sore after waterskiing, but not with wakeboarding. I'll never stop either!!!!! I will wakeboard till I'm ready to die. Hah! I mostly go with guys, like I read in this forum that a lot of the rest of us girls do, and they're all cool about everything. But they're certainly not near as cautious as me. They do encourage me and help me out, which is really nice. I just need to get more mileage behind me, but I have a hard time finding a crew who wants to go out, or just getting everyone I know to have the same day off. Here I sit, I have my own fairly decent boat, with a nice tower my husband built last year, and I can't even find anyone who can go to the lake. jeez! My husband is a trucker, so I'm waiting for him to come home so we can gooooo!!!!!!!!!!
wakeraver

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, wetchick, I will try to toughen up. I will swallow my fear......
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: England

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i broke my ankle
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeraver,

I too am on the senior side of this sport - I'm 32. Been boarding for 4 years now without any real serious injuries, but I do get real cautious after a bad fall. I tend to have problems with my ears, so I began riding with silicone earplugs in about a year ago - it helps a lot (I considered a helmet, but thought that the downsides were as bad as the upsides to them). I also find that staying in good shape allows my body to take a lot more abuse than if I'm soft. I agree on the waterskiing thing. I learned that when I was 4 & skiied my heart out until I discovered wakeboarding - so much easier on the body. Next step will be either wakeskating or wakesurfing.

Where are you located?
whirlygirl
Criminal
Criminal

City: Johnson City, Tn

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no pain, no gain, ladies!!! keep it up!!
Dragonlady8

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another year i'll be 40....
Didn't start until 2 yrs ago and have only been out a handful of times. Been fortunate enough not to have any serious injuries. But I also learned by going to wakeboarding camps not from friends.
I know some people think it's a waste of money, I don't. Learned about good habits and basic skills. Wink
grlywake
Criminal
Criminal

City: Central/So. Cal.

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeraver, where are you at in the big U.S., we are always looking for a third.
Wakeskating is a blast! I'm much more sore after, I guess you use diffrent muscle's. I have falling on the wakeskate and you have to be carefull where that thing lands, it all most landed on my head! Shocked

riverfreak
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Texas

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my 5th year to ride, I've never been hurt too bad on the wakeboard, just one ankle I never let heal gave me trouble one season, but the wakeskate Shocked we were on vacation last week, and I went for a nice wake to wake, when one foot lands and the other doesn't you kinda do the splits, then the board popped back and nailed me right in the crotch and inner thigh...... Rolling Eyes you should see the bruise - I've pictured the board hitting me in the head, but never? just a warning - wakeskates freakin' hurt! Shocked
wakeboarder_124

City: Angola, Indiana

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no serious injuries from wakeboarding besidses a sore knee..thanks grandpa! snowboarding on the other hand im not as "graceful". as for getting back to being more aggressive..the helmet was a good start but you jut cant let your injuries get to you. i know i was a little bit scared after i broke my wrist learing boardslides on my snowboard i waited like 2 weeks cus i was scared but the 1st time i went back and tried it i landed it so just dont let the injuries faze you and just go about it at your own pace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wakeraver

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all of you for the encouragement. It helps, and I had to say "Oww!" a few times as I read some of these. I was happy with myself today, I sucked it up and I did the switch. Not a complicated thing to do, but I was just happy I got over my fear and I did it. And I'm on a campaign to get myself into better shape! I ride in Colorado (SW) and it always gets windy here after around noon and stays that way usually till around 5pm. It makes the water get all chopped up and not as much fun to ride, but I have noticed that riding in bad conditions sometimes make it seem easier when the conditions are good. It seems we're constantly in search of calm water. Bye. Very Happy
DNichole
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Luis Obispo, CA

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I busted my knee slalom skiing about 4 years ago... and every now and then it'll start to bother me... I haven't ridden AT ALL this year yet to fall... though I guarantee that when I get a pull it'll happen Laughing

*insert stupid comment here*
Tiffanator
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Hattiesburg

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of things you can do to prevent injuries, unfortunately I don't practice what I preach and have been plagued by ankle problems.
First thing to do is stretch well before you ride. This helps to prevent pulled muscles. It's really important in the colder weather.
Next is to know your limitations. Being cautious is a good thing, it means we will be able to walk when we are 60 years old. You have to push yourself to progress, but don't go out and try a raley if you can't do a wake jump, pretty much.
As for my injuries, lots of pulled muscles, abs are the worst, fractured ankle and surgery, two concussions, busted ear drum, sprained wrist and elbow (neverending). This has been in 6 years of boarding though.
Later

Old Lady

City: Montgomery, AL

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am also Senior Citizen when it comes to the average wakeboarder....but so far only 1 black eye, several sore necks and a briused forearm....
WakeBabe07
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Cleveland-&-Sandusky

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going off a kicker and i tried to go off it ad land on a jib and i did it but when i went to end the jib my board slipped out from under me and i fell and my elbow and then head hit the METAL jib and all i could remember was not being able to move my left elbow. Well i woke up in the hospital and found out i had a concussion and i shattered my elbow...This happend in may right b4 the season started and i was in a cast for the first week and a half in june not cool at all
bigjrun10k

City: Cross Junction, VA

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to forum and this post definitely caught my eye. I injured my knee about 5 years ago (torn ACL, not from wakeboarding). Since I started snowboarding (3 years ago) and wakeboarding (2 years ago), I've done additional damage to the knee, since I never had it repaired. Now I have two torn menisci (cartilage) + the torn ACL. The knee is very unpredictable. Last week, I landed wake to wake with no problem. Then my knee decided to pop to the right. When this happens, it takes about two weeks to get back to "normal". I've postponed reconstructive surgery because it will put me out of commission for about 6 months; but then again, I'm not trying anything new because I'm always worried about my knee...so I should probably just get it fixed.

I was wondering if any of you have had similar knee problems and if you were able to solve the problem without surgery (e.g. using a knee brace when boarding). If any of you have had knee reconstruction, how long is the rehabilitation -- is it really 6 months??

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: