Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Gas Prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
You won't have a "revamping" overnight. I predict you'll see a gradual reshaping. And the culture will have to change too. People will not want that big mcmansion 45 miles from town, and they will start to change the culture so that it is a measure of success more to have an apartnent or townhouse closer to or in the city.

oil/gas prices move way too much for that reshaping to ever happen - at least w/i our lifetime. remember when t boone was on tv every other day talking about wind and solar? when the auto manufacturers couldn't sell full sized trucks and suvs or keep hybrids on the lot? where did all that go? well, it left when the price of gas dropped 50% inside of 4 months.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why would oil spend money lobbying on roads when they get nailed for additional taxes for congestion relief and transportation emissions (at least in CA)?

Was that happening in the early 1950's, when the "american dream" was defined as a home in the suburbs and a big, shiny, new car every few years?

Quote:
The private labor unions are the biggest proponents of transportation projects and have been for decades.

Ah, it's the union's fault!

But unions could be building and maintaining city infrastructure, so I'm not buying that it's the unions that are responsible for a push to suburbia instead of a building of a better city infrastructure, culturally.

Quote:
We chose to live easy walking distance to shopping, restaurants, etc, and at the same time chose to be within 10 minutes of our workplaces

We could not do that here in Rochester unless we want out kids in private schools, or in the awful city school system. We can't afford private schools, but we could afford gasoline to commute to work.

I don't really know why or how it happened (I suspect the auto industry helped though), but our culture equates wealth and success with owning an acre in the suburbs. This will have to change.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

I have NO idea if there's anything valid about this, though.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, it's valid and well documented (i.e. its not a conspiracy theory). GM and others played some really, really dirty pool back then. They purposefully ruined the public transport infrastructure in Los Angeles and turned it in to the traffic hellhole we see today.

Hey, whatever made them a buck, right?

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I don't think for a second that BP selling the Carson refinery is going to make a difference. Another company will come in and take over. Refineries aren't exactly in abundant supply.

The TX refinery seemingly has been a pain in their ass for since they acquired it so them selling it isn't very surprising.

Last edited by chavez on Feb 22, 2012 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:

Ah, it's the union's fault!

But unions could be building and maintaining city infrastructure, so I'm not buying that it's the unions that are responsible for a push to suburbia instead of a building of a better city infrastructure, culturally.

There are not many publicly funded housing and commercial development when compared to roads.

I'm not anti-private union so you're bemoaning in that initial statement and pure BS.

A lot has changed in 60 years or we can chose to look back to a post WW2 era that no longer exists for problems that generation may have or may have not created. Frankly I think land use decisions by city planners and the cheap cost of land got us to where we are but a conspiracy theory that scapegoats businesses without addressing a need for policy changes certainly distracts from moving forward with thoughtful and meaningful changes.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't really know why or how it happened (I suspect the auto industry helped though), but our culture equates wealth and success with owning an acre in the suburbs. This will have to change.

I don't know many people that consider that to be wealth and success as much as they view that as desirable. I know that is what my wife and I are planning once she is done with school. We don't want to be close to the city because we want the peace and quiet. We also want to have some space to be able to do some self-sustaining activities. I'm perfectly fine with the trade off of cheaper housing in the country to a more expensive commute.

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas prices will get up to $4.50 in austin I bet. I hope it will not go higher than that. I think some months I am spending $1500-2K per month on gas. might even be more.

I hate the whole gas price issue. I think a group of zillionairs just sit around and say.. Hey did you see the news about XXX... we should bump gas prices today.. Smile

I wish I had a truck that would run off some alternative fuels.

I think someone can make bio happen if they wanted but why move to bio when the gas companies are making so much money. There are problems with distribution etc but if someone can make money then someone would solve the distribution problem also.

It is such a major issue we probably need to put together a task force from wb.com to work on solving this issue.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think a group of zillionairs just sit around and say.. Hey did you see the news about XXX... we should bump gas prices today..

There called OPEC and Hedge Funds.

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread alone will probably result in a 5 cent increase this week!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
cameraboy, it's valid and well documented (i.e. its not a conspiracy theory). GM and others played some really, really dirty pool back then. They purposefully ruined the public transport infrastructure in Los Angeles and turned it in to the traffic hellhole we see today.

Hmm...

So then Nor*Cal blaming the unions might not be the true or whole story.

Quote:
There are not many publicly funded housing and commercial development when compared to roads.

I can't say anything about LA, but in NYC virtually ALL the labor involved in planning, building, and maintaining buildings, public or private, is done by unions. So the idea that unions would want to get into road building to avoid the buildup of cities is speculative at best, in my mind.

Quote:
Frankly I think land use decisions by city planners and the cheap cost of land got us to where we are but a conspiracy theory that scapegoats businesses without addressing a need for policy changes certainly distracts from moving forward with thoughtful and meaningful changes.

According to Chavez, it's not a conspiracy at all. It's "well documented."
So it's city planners, with no influence by the businesses that benefited, that caused the problem?

You didn't seem too concerned with "distracting from moving forward" in your post blaming the unions.

And it is not a choice to either look back or look forward. We should understand the skulduggery that went on in the past and have a comprehensive understanding of the history of the problem as we move forward.

Quote:
I don't know many people that consider that to be wealth and success as much as they view that as desirable.

A HUGE chunk of our culture is a car culture built around consumables that relate to living in the suburbs.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
Hmm...

So then Nor*Cal blaming the unions might not be the true or whole story.

Where did I blame the unions? I stated that the biggest proponents of public works projects are unions. That's not an assignment of responsibility. I clearly assigned responsibility for sprawl to others.

Get your facts straight. I represent private unions. F! you're so partisan that you cannot see things for as they are, not everyone is trying to screw you. Get that chip off your shoulder.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, I don't think Nor*Cal was blaming the unions at all. He was more saying they are good with pub works projects because that means they get work.

The LA/GM thing was sold to the public as "with these freeways, you'll get to where you are going faster blah blah blah". We all know how that turned out, and I don't mean today's LA - it's been a traffic nightmare for as long as I've been alive. It also was directly responsible for LAs terrible air quality - especially in the late 60's and 70's. The smog situation is actually getting better these days.

And FWIW - I live very much in the burbs. Just because you live in the burbs doesn't mean you have to choose an unwalkable location nor does it mean you have to have a commute.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, Roseville has made a concerted effort to recruit businesses and develop in that sense. They'll do better than most when regional targets are assigned under SB 375.
eeven73

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155193/thanks
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
The smog situation is actually getting better these days.

Air quality is a lot better.

Transportation projects of all sorts need to happen. Congestion relief is a big deal. Alternative modes as well but there is still and aversion to public transit so encouraging mixed use developments and sustainable community strategies enters the picture. All of these are aimed at reducing vehicle miles traveled which in turn reduces emissions. Since cars represent over 90% of all air emissions in California air basins that's the biggest step to improve air quality especially with expanding populations.

I'm not exactly sold on High Speed Rail through the valley but 2 regional lines then maybe a connector would make sense to me. LA - SD and Sac - SF with future plans of connecting SF to LA.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal, I agree with the SAC-SFO and LAX-SDG thing. They just need to get better with ticket pricing because the current pricing on Cap Corridor is insane. I'm not paying them $100 R/T to get *almost* to SFO for the wife and I (plus whatever the ticket is for BART from Richmond to SFO).

It's like a $35 trip in our car (including tolls but not parking).

If the RT cost was $50 I could see it. It's always nice to leave the car at home and I'd pay $15 extra to not deal with driving. But (at least) $65? No wai.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said that I had heard that businesses discouraged the building of public transportation through lobbying and instead encouraged the building of a road and highways system.

Nor*Cal responded thusly:

Quote:
Why would oil spend money lobbying on roads when they get nailed for additional taxes for congestion relief and transportation emissions (at least in CA)? The private labor unions are the biggest proponents of transportation projects and have been for decades.

I didn't even mention oil companies. So who's got what chip on what shoulder?

So I was talking about who shares responsibility for urban sprawl, you jump in with some comment about unions at that time, and you posted the above quote. It's disingenuous at best to say you weren't assigning some responsibility to unions. But if I'm mistaken abnd you want to clarify and say that unions aren't partly to blame for urban sprawl, I think we can accept that.

Oh, and in regard to the above quote, oil companies can pay those taxes because everyone drive a car for long distances. Why? Because so many of us live far away and drive to work every day.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) I never blamed nor would I blame unions for sprawl, there is no there, there... My statement stands for what it is not for what you infer it is. Unions are proponents of public works projects, FACT! A bulk of which are roadways due to the direct nexus between gas taxes and transportation funds, FACT! There is not a lot of money in comparison for public housing or public buildings especially with a direct connection to a funding source, FACT! This is not an assignment of blame nor can removal of electric trolleys from some cities be blamed as primary sources for sprawl as it only took place in a few cities. Ultimately cities and counties throughout the country made poor land use decisions based on immediate financial needs or desires as opposed to smart growth.

2.) The items quoted that I responded to in that comment including yours both referred to gas. Gas taxes are the primary source of transportation funding. The electric trolley theory also includes tire companies and standard oil.

3.) Refining is not where oil companies profit so paying those taxes only increases the passed through costs.

4.) Neither the automobile, oil, or tire companies made a decision on where you should live nor did the unionized laborers build the roads... Until local planners sited, sub-divided, permitted and approved plans to build on that land... Government is a part of this puzzle as well and the main part of the solution. Develop infill, brownfields, and more efficient transportation while ceasing sprawl. Sounds like a plan to me...

Last edited by Nor*Cal on Feb 22, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"YEAH!!!!"

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices in San Jose look like this-
$4.25
$4.35
$4.45
Diesel $4.50ish

Took the long way home to check on Safeway's prices. I like this much better.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FACT! A bulk of which are roadways due to the direct nexus between gas taxes and transportation funds, FACT! There is not a lot of money in comparison for public housing or public buildings especially with a direct connection to a funding source, FACT!

Unions run nearly everything in NYC, FACT!

Heating, Cooling, Food Service run by unions, FACT!

Nearly 100% of construction done by unions, FACT!

Plumbing, electric, all unionized, FACT!

Nothing gets built, maintained, delivered to or from, and very few buttons get pushed or knobs turned that a union worker doesn't push or turn them in the bulildings in NYC, FACT!

Unions do just as well when they build and maintain city infrastructure as they do public road projects.

N
Quote:
either the automobile, oil, or tire companies made a decision on where you should live nor did the unionized laborers build the roads... Until local planners sited, sub-divided, permitted and approved plans to build on that land

And why shouldn't they have, when gas was cheap and land was plentiful and there's money to be made?

Quote:
I never blamed nor would I blame unions for sprawl,

Ok, glad we cleared that up. Because I guess I sure misunderstood this:

Quote:
Why would oil spend money lobbying on roads when they get nailed for additional taxes for congestion relief and transportation emissions (at least in CA)? The private labor unions are the biggest proponents of transportation projects and have been for decades.

I didn't realize you were just putting two unrelated things together.

Oh, and oil would spend money lobbying on roads because if people want to drive distances to and from work, they will have to buy gas to do it. Seems pretty obvious. Wouldn't have the money to pay those additional taxes, and there wouldn't be a need for them either, if people weren't driving everywhere, all the time.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. High gas prices in the summer before an election with a democrat in the white house...
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think this thread has officially come off the tracks.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, is there really a need to explain the difference between public works and private construction projects you described? We're talking about two VERY separate issues.

And yes you misunderstood me. I represent a coalition of major private unions. I know you have tried to paint me into some box you can understand but nothing is as simple as you try to make it. We are not on the same page or comprehension level when it comes to these subjects.

And F!all there's no conspiracy against the President. Summer fuel formulations always increase the cost at the pump and it's easy to see the affects of speculation in the market. None of this is voodoo or shady, it's the nature of commodities.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your conspiracy about trolley's... Here's more history from your source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Electric_Railway

Decline
Huntington's involvement with urban rail was intimately tied to his real estate development operations. Real estate development was so lucrative for Huntington and Southern Pacific that they could use the Red Car as a loss leader, however when most of the company's holdings had been developed by 1920 their major income source began to deplete. Many rural passenger lines were unprofitable, with losses offset by revenue generated from passenger lines in populated corridors and from freight operations. The least-used Red Car lines were converted to cheaper buses as early as 1925.

In the pre-automobile era, electric interurban rail was the only way to connect outlying suburban and exurban parcels to central cities.

Although the railway owned extensive private rights-of-way, usually between urban areas, much of the Pacific Electric trackage in urban areas such as downtown Los Angeles west of the Los Angeles River was in streets shared with automobiles and trucks. Virtually all street crossings were at-grade, and increasing automobile traffic led to decreasing Red Car speeds on much of its trackage.[4] At its nadir, the busy Santa Monica Boulevard line, which connected Los Angeles to Hollywood and on to Beverly Hills and Santa Monica, had an average speed of 13 miles per hour (20.9 km/h)[5]

Traffic congestion was of such great concern by the late 1930s that the influential Automobile Club of Southern California engineered an elaborate plan to create an elevated freeway-type "Motorway System," a key aspect of which was the dismantling of the streetcar lines, replacing it with buses that could run on both local streets and on the new express roads.[6]

When the freeway system was planned in the 1930s the city planners planned to include light rail tracks in the center margin of each freeway but the plan was never implemented.[7]

The Whittier and Fullerton was cut in 1938. Redondo Beach, Newport Beach, Sawtelle via San Vicente, and Riverside in 1940. When the San Bernardino Freeway opened in 1941 but was not yet connected to the Hollywood Freeway, while the "Four Way" overpass was being constructed, westbound car traffic from the SB freeway poured onto downtown streets near the present Union Station. Pacific Electric's multiple car trains coming and going from Pasadena, Sierra Madre, and Monrovia/Glendora used those same streets the final few miles to the 6th and Main PE terminal and were totally bogged down within this jammed traffic. Schedules could not be met, plus former patrons were now driving. The San Bernardino line, Pomona branch, Temple City branch via Alhambra's Main St., San Bernardino's Mountain View local to 34th St., Santa Monica Blvd. via Beverly Hills, and all remaining Pasadena local service were all cut in 1941.

Pacific Electric carried increased passenger loads during World War II, when Los Angeles County's population nearly doubled as war industries concentrated in the region attracting millions of workers. There were several years when the company's income statement showed a profit, most notably during World War II, when gasoline was rationed and much of the populace depended on mass transit. At peak operation toward the end of World War II, the PE dispatched over 1000 trains daily and was a major employer in Southern California.

The nation's last interurban RPO (Railroad Post Office) service was operated by PE on its San Bernardino Line. This RPO service was inaugurated comparatively late, being started on September 2, 1947. It left LA's Union Station interurban yard on the west side of the terminal turning north onto Alameda Street at 12:45 pm and San Bernardino at 4:40 pm, taking three hours for the trip. It did not operate on Sundays or holidays. This last RPO was pulled off May 6, 1950.

Aware that most new arrivals planned to stay in the region after the war, local municipal governments, Los Angeles County and the State agreed that a massive infrastructure improvement program was necessary. At that time politicians agreed to construct a web of freeways across the region. This was seen as a better solution than a new mass transit system or an upgrade of the Pacific Electric.

And the sprawl in LA had already begun prior to the end of the Trolley's...

eeven73

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it fits my "corporations are evil" mentality so much better to blame GM Crying or Very sad

Oh yeah, wasn't ACME involved in this and they routed it right through Toon Town?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no good reason to not have both the freeway system and the electric train infrastructure. This is where GM and the other corps come in to play. They bought up the systems across the country with the intention of destroying them - so they could sell more cars, buses, oil, tires, etc.

It's pretty cut and dry. It's not a conspiracy, it's fact. In this case, the corporations were evil.

Toon town Laughing

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
Oh yeah, wasn't ACME involved in this and they routed it right through Toon Town?

Clearly that's just the liberal Disney agenda... Laughing

eeven73

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
much of the Pacific Electric trackage in urban areas such as downtown Los Angeles west of the Los Angeles River was in streets shared with automobiles and trucks. Virtually all street crossings were at-grade, and increasing automobile traffic led to decreasing Red Car speeds on much of its trackage.[4] At its nadir, the busy Santa Monica Boulevard line, which connected Los Angeles to Hollywood and on to Beverly Hills and Santa Monica, had an average speed of 13 miles per hour (20.9 km/h)[5]

Seems like a fairly logical reason.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by Neognosis on Feb 23, 2012 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And yes you misunderstood me. I represent a coalition of major private unions.

I'm not concerned with who you represent.

I'm just puzzled how this:

Quote:

isn't implying that Unions somehow spent money lobbying on roads. But if you say so now, ok then.

I don't like to eat vegetables. Candy tastes much better.

I NEVER SAID I EAT CANDY!!!

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, yet, to this day, San Fran has electric streetcars that run at grade up and down some of it's busiest streets, and they manage.

The point is there are (and always have been) ways to deal with it that can be effective. GM and the other corps had one and only one intention with the system: to destroy it.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unions spend money lobbying for public works. A bulk of which is transportation related as that is where the guaranteed money is. This is not an indictment of the behavior as it is natural to expect that those who benefit from these projects will support them. Nor is it an assignment of blame for sprawl as I've made it abundantly clear who I believe is responsible, city planners. In no way did I blame unions as you accused. Your default is to assume a constituency you support was being attacked which was simply not the case.

Oil companies do not lobby for public works transportation projects it is easy enough to find this in their disclosures. However, taxes levied against oil companies pay for these projects.

If you are trying to make connections to the past efforts on these fronts more research would have to be done. But at present roads, rail, and other public conveyance projects are advocated by the unions. Some of this includes congestion relief and alternative conveyances. In the 1920's-50's who knows who was advocating for what, they didn't have disclosures then.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
eeven73, yet, to this day, San Fran has electric streetcars that run at grade up and down some of it's busiest streets, and they manage.

You can never compare transportation in SF to LA. They are TOO geographically different and always have been. SF is 47 sq. miles, LA is 468 sq. miles. Catch my drift. The transportation needs, planning and models between the two cities are incomparable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Add To Favorites

Jump to: