Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2012 NCAA Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not seeing this as a perry/powers battle - that's a whole different animal that powers will ultimately lose. perry is doing his level best to kill higher education in this state and it's a crying shame that morons keep re-electing that jackass.

i don't think it's any small thing that appelwhite lawyered up w/ jamail. that's like bringing an f16 to a knife fight.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a stretch as well, however, that is the last rumor i read.

Jamail as a lawyer is pretty tough. Applewhite is not playing around.

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think Applewhite is paying Jamail's full rate? I suppose he could almost afford it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jamail called Applewhite. I think the t.u. athletic dept. just waits for their best attorney boosters to call when one of their own is in trouble.

It seems that at least 3/4 of Aggies dislike Perry. I've never voted for him. I'm pretty sure he gets to pick his opponents in elections. I can't remember a single legitimate candidate that has run against him.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
You think Applewhite is paying Jamail's full rate?

oh hell no. and technically, jamail isn't ma's attorney right now, he's just "consulting him.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think this is myopia.

Is a college student/recruit being NEAR a bong a huge controversy? Seems more like manufactered issues. Now if some reference to the bong was being made in the photo thats something else. I mean really any 18 year old is going to decline to be in the vicinity of a bong, they would have to lock themselves in a room on the majority of campuses.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, what are you talking about?
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ducks recruit pic that Scotta posted.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
The Ducks recruit pic that Scotta posted.

my bad - didn't even see that. the "jump to" function on here isn't always the most accurate. carry on.

ohsix, you know jff is a t-shirt horn fan! Laughing
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2013/02/04/pac-12-football-worried-about-your-teams-recruiting-class-read-this/

We’re two days from National Signing Day and fans are no doubt fretting throughout the conference — either you team’s recruiting class isn’t ranked very high, or it’s not ranked high enough.

I’m hear to help alleviate some anxiety … or tamp down soaring expectations. (Because that’s what I do!)

The star system that forms the basis of the team rankings is, of course, flawed: What’s below should give you an indication of just how flawed it can be.

It’s a look at the 2012 Pac-12 all-conference team (first team selections) and the number of stars each player received. You’ll notice: There are no 5-star prospects, and only seven of the 22 players were 4-star recruits.

Recruiting is often called an inexact science. I disagree. It’s not a science at all. It’s educated guesswork.

The development of any player depends so much on things that are difficult to measure the first Wednesday in February:

A prospect’s work ethic, the quality of college coaching, late-teens physical maturation and his fit within the system used by the college team.

And the success of any recruiting class depends, of course, on the coaching staff’s ability to make independent evaluations — to know which players are better than their stars suggest … and which might not be as good.

(Every miss eats up a valuable scholarship for one season, if not five.)

The following ratings are courtesy of Scout. I could just as easily have used Rivals: The ratings are similar, both services get it wrong with the about the same frequency — and both, in my opinion, are better than ESPN.

(Rivals … just to cite one major miss on its part, since Scout is singled out below … assigned just 4 stars to Andrew Luck in ’08 and ranked him not only as the No. 4 pro-style QB in his class but also as the 68th best prospect in the country.

(The pro-style QBs ranked ahead of Luck that year: Blaine Gabbert, Dayne Crist and Mike Glennon.

(Then again, Luck wasn’t No. 1 on Stanford’s board, either. Jim Harbaugh had his eye on Crist … and one or two others)

Here’s a look at the ’12 all-conference team, with stars …

*** OFFENSE

* Quarterback
Marcus Mariota, Oregon: 3 stars
(Also 3 stars: Washington’s Keith Price and Arizona State’s Taylor Kelly.)

* Tailback
Kenjon Barner, Oregon: 3 stars
Ka’Deem Carey, Arizona: 3 stars
(Also 3 stars: UCLA’s Johnathan Franklin.)

* Receiver
Markus Wheaton, Oregon State: 3 stars
Marqise Lee, USC: 4 stars

* Tight end
Zach Ertz, Stanford: 4 stars

* Linemen
David Yankey, Stanford: 3 stars
Hroniss Grasu, Oregon: 3
Brian Schwenke, Cal: 3 stars
Khaled Holmes, USC: 4 stars
Xavier Su’a-Filo, UCLA: 4 stars

*** DEFENSE

* Linemen
Scott Crichton, Oregon State: 2 stars
Star Lotulelei, Utah: 3 stars
Will Sutton, Arizona State: 3 stars
Dion Jordan, Oregon: 4 stars

* Linebackers
Chase Thomas, Stanford: 3 stars
Trent Murphy, Stanford: 3 stars
Anthony Barr, UCLA: 4 stars

* Seconday
Jordan Poyer, Oregon State: 2 stars
Ed Reynolds, Stanford: 2 stars
Desmond Trufant, Washington: 3 stars
Ifo Ekpre-Olumu, Oregon: 4 stars
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., i'll keep that in mind over the next couple of years as i watch this class at texas.

using 247's numbers:
Quote:
- Texas only has 2 of the top 15 players in the state and only 3 of the top 20 players in the state.

- Meanwhile, Ohio State was able to pull in 3 of the top 15 players in this state. A school 2000 miles away with no recruiting ties what so ever to the high schools here, that's on current sanctions and will be on probation..... pulled in more prospects in the top 15 than Texas. Let that sink in.

- Texas A&M will sign twice as many prospects ( 8 ) in the top 25 than Texas (4).

- Texas will miss out on every 5 star recruit in Texas.

- Texas will sign ZERO of the top 12 defensive recruits in this state.

- Texas will sign only TWO of top 20 defensive recruits in the state of Texas.

- Texas missed on every RB prospect in the state. Keith Ford (ou), Dontre Wilson (tOSU), Kyle Hicks (TCU), James White (a&m).

- Texas missed on the top 4 WR prospects in the state of Texas. Two of them are 5 star recruits.

- Texas only took 1 QB... a project. Texas will not sign any of the top 3 QBs in the state (Thomas, Barrett, Stewart).

- Texas will miss on the best TE prospect to come out of Texas in a while when there is a huge need for a TE. Shocking.

- Texas missed on EVERY DT and DE in state. Every single one. In a year where it was crucial to stock up, we fell right on our face. 2014 is a horrible year for DTs and DE (except Thomas and Garrett and we are most definitely not getting Garrett).

- Texas missed out on the top 2 LB prospects in the state. Davis is as good as Doc Shaw so it's not as bad but we still missed out on Mike Mitchell. 2014 LBs are either committing elsewhere. We will take aggys rejects and be happy about it (Cameron Hampton)

- Texas missed out on the top 3 DBs in the state. Texas also missed out on Cole Luke (OOS), a prospect they recruited very heavily. Texas will most likely only get 1 of the top 5 DBs in 2014.

- With that said, Texas will sign arguably the best OL class in the country.

Last edited by jt09 on Feb 06, 2013 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap. now we have to coach again? we are screwed.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- With that said, Texas will sign arguably the best OL class in the country.

Considering OL is the toughest position to predict, where stars and rankings mean the least, combined with Texas' stellar track record of offensive line development...well, I'm sure you guys will be juuuuussst fine Laughing

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the ol has gone pretty well the last year or so since searels showed up. especially considering the abortion it was in 2010 before he got here. and i realize that you are going for the cheap shot and not the truth, but attrition was the real problem at ol, not development. hard to turn a 3* kid recruited to be a backup tight end into an all-conference offensive tackle.

either way, texas' 2013 ol class is right there w/ stanford's 2012 ol class in terms of talent.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
actually, the ol has gone pretty well the last year or so since searels showed up. especially considering the abortion it was in 2010 before he got here. and i realize that you are going for the cheap shot and not the truth, but attrition was the real problem at ol, not development. hard to turn a 3* kid recruited to be a backup tight end into an all-conference offensive tackle.

Ohio State had the same problem, but the new staff has really turned things around. The staff turned what would have been a starting TE, Reid Fragel, into a solid starter at LT last season.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Add To Favorites

Jump to: