Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sanctity of Life Sunday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23, I understand that point of view.

My question is more for those that are against abortion except in cases of rape. What is it that makes it "wrong" in all other cases, but when it is a rape it is now justifiable?

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that the "justification" is that not only was it not the woman's choice to get pregnant, it wasn't even her choice to have intercourse. And the thought that she will see that rape every time she looks at her own child.

Add to that the idea that a group of cells recently implanted into the uterine wall isn't a "person," and it's easy to accept early term abortion in the case of rape.

Okie, you've stated that you think a fetus is a human being with the rights of a human being. Is that from the moment of conception? The morning after pill prevents an egg from implanting in the uterine wall, and expells it with a menstral flow, if I understand correctly.

Do you consider a group of cells still in the single digits even, not implanted in the uterine wall, to also be a human being?

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting answer. Do you think it changes anything to consider giving the baby up for adoption rather than keep it, so it isn't that constant reminder for her of the negative? Also, that baby being adopted by a family could be a very big positive. couldn't it?

Yes, I consider it life from the moment of conception.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you think it changes anything to consider giving the baby up for adoption rather than keep it, so it isn't that constant reminder for her of the negative?

Can't really say, as I never carried or will carry a child in pregnancy, but I can understand a woman's unwillingness to carry a child the result of rape to term.

Quote:

Yes, I consider it life from the moment of conception.

That wasn't the question. The question is "to also be a human being."

Some things to consider, my finger has more cells and a more highly developed network of nerves than a human fetus in the first week or two since fertilization, and if denied implantation in the uterine wall, more developed circulatory system too.

But you wouldn't consider my finger to be a human being worthy of the protection of law as a human being, would you? Even though it's far more developed than a group of unimplanted cells, right? So, what makes a bundle of cells with no circulatory sytem and no nervous system "human" to you?

DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23 wrote:

same as any other case. it's the woman's body let her decide. if you don't like abortions, don't have one.

This.

I don't think abortion is a black and white issue. Nor do I believe that a zygote is a child. I understand that you can't empathize with rape victims, but I don't think a rape victim should be forced to undertake the dangers of carrying a baby to term. You think that a 10 year old girl raped by her father should be forced to carry a child to term even though there's a significant chance that the pregnancy could kill her?

Pardon the graphic hypothetical, but if your wife was raped and became pregnant you would want her to carry the baby to term? What if there were complications that made it likely that she would die from the pregnancy?

Why bullsh*t and pretend like this is a easy decision for anyone to make? That's what I don't get.

Also, yes, let's discuss adoptions also. Who's going to be taking care of all these babies again? Last time I checked there's wasn't a deficit of children in the adoption system.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, you're correct. There is a point in time where I consider it "life" and a point in time I consider it "human". You could argue a distinction and maybe that is a personal point of reference for justifying certain actions.

Here's something to consider that I see and question with your finger versus fetus argument. If you planted finger cells and fetus cells (or zygote if that's the term you want to use), after a period of time, which one will develop into a human being?

DRAGON88, my wife and I have actually talked about that very scenario. Yes, I would want her to carry the baby, but I would also let her make the final choice as to what she wanted to do. That is the agreement we have. If she decided to carry the baby and there were complications, I would ensure she got the best possible medical treatment to take care of it. If there was a point in which they could only save her or the baby, there would be a decision to make. At that point I would likely favor her life over the baby's. What exactly did you have in mind as a complication that made it likely she would die from the pregnancy? Were you thinking of something specific?

I agree it isn't an easy decision to make, but I also feel there is a right and wrong to it that is straight forward enough to know what should be done, IMO...not everyone agrees with this or this wouldn't be a debate. Each person is ultimately going to make up their own mind and what they choose is their choice. I agree with letting that choice fall onto the individual, but I do also agree with educating people to have a full understanding of what that choice entails.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you planted finger cells and fetus cells (or zygote if that's the term you want to use), after a period of time, which one will develop into a human being?

So it's the POTENTIAL of becomming a human being that is the deciding factor for you, it seems.

Which is understandable. So do you against the mornign after pill, which prevents implantation of a zygote into the uterine wall? Do you see that as "wrong" as aborting a 4 month old fetus?

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you could say it that way.

Preventing the implantation does have a distinct difference over terminating an already developing fetus. But, you are still preventing the life to continue on (whatever you consider it or call it at that point), so I don't think it is the right choice. Consciously and purposefully ending that life...not something I would choose to do and feel good about.

To me, it's kind of like killing another grown human being. If you plan out and murder someone (Murder 1), or you happen to have a car accident that results in a death, your actions still caused killed another person. There are distinctions between the two and we justify one over the other, but the end result is still the termination of a life in both cases. A similar argument can be made about killing someone in self defense.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why those opposed to Plan B....or the "prevention of implantation" aren't protesting at infertility clinics and the thousands of blastocysts that are terminated/wasted/sent to Baby Jesus.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My curiosity comes that most pro-lifers are pro-death penalty and most pro-choice are anti-death penalty. I find an inconsistency on both sides. I'm agnostic on this subject as I've never been in the position to need to make these decisions and am not willing to tell those who are what decision to make.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an inconsistency. The people who are pro-choice and anti death penalty:

1- often are not "pro abortion" and often would not consider having one. They just don't think it should be a gov't decision
2- They also see a grown human being as distinctly different from a fetus or zygote, at varying stages.

so it is not really inconsistant at all.

Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, What are your views on in-vitro when they fertilize multiple eggs and only put the "best" two or three back in the womb? Are the remainder aborted?
(also I could be wrong on them fertilizing more eggs than they plan to put back, so it is possibly a hypothetical question)
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a hypothetical, multiple eggs retrieved, multiple fertilied, the select few are implanted and the rest are frozen, donated, or destroyed.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooga678 wrote:
Okie Boarder, What are your views on in-vitro when they fertilize multiple eggs and only put the "best" two or three back in the womb? Are the remainder aborted?
(also I could be wrong on them fertilizing more eggs than they plan to put back, so it is possibly a hypothetical question)

That goes right back to what CB and I were discussing about when it is life vs when it is human. Once it is conceived, whether naturally or the in-vitro process, life has been created. I think it is rather crass to treat it as a throw away object. I don't think treating life like that is right.

I'll throw this out there as something to consider...anyone feel free to answer...

Let's say you were in a situation where your gal was pregnant and about 2-3 months along and she had a miscarriage at the hospital. As you both sit there after the fact you notice the doctor throws the fetus in a trash bag, tosses it in a trash can and has someone wheel it away to be disposed of. How would you feel about the treatment of the fetus at that moment and why?

microman
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
Each person is ultimately going to make up their own mind and what they choose is their choice. I agree with letting that choice fall onto the individual, but I do also agree with educating people to have a full understanding of what that choice entails.

So, this pretty much makes you pro-choice then eh?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa...a MM resurgance.

I dunno...I guess you could say that. I am personally pro-life and don't agree with abortion. But, I also don't necessarily agree with laws against abortion. There just doesn't seem to be any justification to terminate that life that seems reasonable enough for me to support it.

microman

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:

I dunno...I guess you could say that. I am personally pro-life and don't agree with abortion. But, I also don't necessarily agree with laws against abortion. There just doesn't seem to be any justification to terminate that life that seems reasonable enough for me to support it.

I think that means that you realize that it isn't a black and white issue. If you thought it was truly "murder" I doubt you would feel it should be left up to the individual to decide.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you both sit there after the fact you notice the doctor throws the fetus in a trash bag, tosses it in a trash can and has someone wheel it away to be disposed of. How would you feel about the treatment of the fetus at that moment and why?

You are asking for an emotional response based on a hypothetical emotional situation.

Which does not consider that a couple eagerly awaiting the birth of a child after 3 months of pregnancy are not going to have the same emotional response as a woman who chooses to terminate a pregnancy after 4 weeks.

Meaning that the response proves no point.

I am personally against abortion. I was recently in a situation where it would have been MUCH easier to have one. I/We chose not to, though at one point I found myself wanting her to have one. I'm glad she didn't and that she listened to me when I was rational, and not in an absolute panic. But I easily can empathize with those who would have chosen differently.

Personally, I think that after a certain point, say when the embryo has a functioning neural net, it is past the point where I could accept it.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

microman wrote:
Okie Boarder wrote:

I think that means that you realize that it isn't a black and white issue. If you thought it was truly "murder" I doubt you would feel it should be left up to the individual to decide.

I don't buy into this train of thought. I guess it starts to depend on what a person defines as murder and it also speaks to what people feel is justified. In addition, stepping back and determining if it hurts someone else or infringes on someone's rights comes into play with respect to whether there should be a law. There are a lot of things in our society that I could say I view as wrong, but that doesn't mean there needs to be a law against them.

It is a black and white issue to me and to a lot of people. It is gray to others. Gray isn't introduced by the issue itself, but how people look at it, IMO.

When you step outside the abortion issue and talk about ending a life, do you see any other killings as being not black and white, MM?

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows abortion is wrong. Nobody wants one and nobody looks forward to having it done. Nobody "likes" abortion. The question is should it be available, and the answer is yes. Banning it bans it from people who truly need it for medical reasons and extreme circumstance. The sad thing is that keeping it legal has turned it into convienence birth control.

Its funny how our opinion changes as we age. Young people are generally very pro-choice. Why? Its because they can relate and its their demographic who are having the most. They know what its like to be uncomfortable acquiring preventative measures at 15. They know what its like to have pregnancy fears change their entire outlook on the future. They need the reassurance that it can be made to go away.

Young adults tend to be indifferent. They are old enough not to be uncomfortable preventing pregnancy. It doesnt really affect them one way or another, but they dont care if others have that option or dont.

The biggest change is when you become a parent yourself. It isnt until then that you realize that a human at any stage in development is greater than the sum of their cellular makeup. Religion asside, their creation is a bigger event than just some scientific occurance and as a parent you discover that. Just because an individual did not take the time to learn this from their creation does not mean that child did not have it to share. one then realizes that the circumstances of that childs entry into the world pale in comparison to the joy they bring.

Ive heard alot of parents regret the timing or circumstance of their pregnancy, but Ive never heard a single parent regret their young child.

Funny, I was obviously raised pro-life, but it wasnt until I had a child myself that I had a strong opinion one way or the other.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, I understand your point that there may be a difference in response between a couple that really wants a baby and one that doesn't. But do you really think that even a person that didn't want to have a baby would be fine seeing and early stage fetus just treated like a piece of garbage and wouldn't be emotionally affected by it?
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, note the "I" in my statement. I wasn't making an argument but a qualitative statement, which by nature are highly subjective. You may not see the inconsistencies but from my POV both sides are inconsistent, in this subject area I find it hardly worth arguing as all the statements are qualitative.
microman

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:

I don't buy into this train of thought. I guess it starts to depend on what a person defines as murder and it also speaks to what people feel is justified. In addition, stepping back and determining if it hurts someone else or infringes on someone's rights comes into play with respect to whether there should be a law. There are a lot of things in our society that I could say I view as wrong, but that doesn't mean there needs to be a law against them.

If you see it as a black and white issue, and if you believe that "human life" begins at conception, then shouldn't you also believe that deliberately ending this life should be illegal? I mean I'm sure you wouldn't take the same stance if a hospital allowed women to end the life of their newborn or infant children. You would most likely agree that it should be against the law.

The point I'm trying to make is that on some level you must recognize that a developing embryo isn't the same as a fully developed newborn otherwise why would allow one and not the other?
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Microman....I saw this on facebook today and thought of you [/backtoyourregularscheduledprogram]

microman

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, heh. Geez, it's *only* been 8 years since they last played a postseason game.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

microman, I understand the point you're making and I do see it as black and white. I guess deep down I would prefer it was illegal. Maybe the reason I don't fight that front is I know it is a losing battle and I see validity in people making the choice on their own. Are we supposed to legislate morality?
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree with letting that choice fall onto the individual...
I also don't necessarily agree with laws against abortion.
I would prefer it was illegal.
Are we supposed to legislate morality?

Mitt - is that you?

RIP M.H.Legge
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Nice.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie for President! HA!

How would you guys feel about this going back to a states issue?? It would immediately overturn Roe v Wade, as that is a federal law. Each state can make up its own mind, decided by that states population. Its much easier to leave a state that you don't agree with than your country.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking maybe I should clarify. I see the abortion itself as wrong and very black & white. How to legislate it is different story. Similarly, I see killing as wrong, but how you legislate is different there too. We don't have laws that treat someone who commits premeditated murder and someone who killed an intruder in self defense that treat both equally or carry equal punishments. Yet, in the end, both scenarios ended a life.

Goofyboy...I think turning a lot of issues back to the states is one of the best solutions.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, for those of you who don't agree with it being a human being like I do at a certain point, remind me again as to when you consider it a human being.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned earlier that becoming a parent changes your views on this. I used to say when it had eyes and a brain, something more than a heart beat. When my wife showed me the positive pregnancy test, that opinion changed. I would say after the cells implant, which is when you can tell she is preggo. I have no issue with the morning after pill, not allowing implant of the cells.

That said, I am still prochoice, but I want it out of the federal government. As you have said, you can't legislate morality. People will still get abortions, legal or not. Wealthy people can fly to another country. The poor are the ones that would be more affected by abortion being illegal.

Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was ignore feature on this board. Keep trying to shove your beliefs down everyone's throat Okie, it will ̶n̶̶e̶̶v̶̶e̶̶r̶ work someday!
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to fall right in line with what jason ssr said. My views changed substantially when I had a child. I was always against abortion, but now I'm further out on that limb.

The whole rape discussion is a useless argument. How many abortions in the US are a result of rape? It's just a way to sensationalize the discussion when you are talking about a portion of the population that doesn't even register.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Add To Favorites

Jump to: