Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sanctity of Life Sunday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job on "retiring from discussion". Laughing
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do keep to that, unless addressed directly.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, cut hom some slack...the discussion shifted gears a bit and was being led by someone different. How could he not respond? Mr. Green
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
You contradict yourself if your point is that abstinence education is ever going to be effective at having a lasting impact on the number of people having sex who are not trying to have a baby.

I dont believe abstinence as a full time form of BC is realistic for all people. I believe it needs to be one of many options for a given occurance. In other words, it doesnt seem like our society has the self discipline to walk away from a high risk situation and reconviene when the risk is mitigated. To me it seems many unwanted pregnancies are from people who find themselves in an occurance where risk is not easily mitigated or that risk wasnt planned for. Its like the instant gratification generation just doesnt see a reschedule as an option. That in a nutshell is what I think can be changed at the society level.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abstinence is the one thing that is ALWAYS an option.

A parent can forbid their kid from having sex and make the kid think that they would be in big trouble if the parent found a condom in their dresser.

A parent can forbid their kid from going on the pill, shame them into being afraid of buying condoms.

But abstinence is always an option, and if you are saying that kids should be taught to ALWAYS use a condom, and if one is not available, POSTPONE having sex for however long, then I'm all for that.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microman, a question for you specifically. Do you draw a specific line in the sand regarding the "breathing on its own" thing with regards to time since conception that you consider it human and no longer right to abort?

For any of you science guys, maybe you can explain something to me.

Why is it when we talk about cells within a female human womb it isn't life, but when we talk about single or multi cell organisms on mars, or deep in the sea attached to some rock or floating in the water, or in the air, that is considered life? I don't understand what the distinction is that you make.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't call cells in a female human "not life."

The differentiation is when it is a life on it's own, and not a cluster of cells that is still part of the mother.

Plus, we don't give single celled or even simple multi-celled organisms the same rights as human "life."

My finger is "alive." The cells within it are "life."

But when you cut my finger off, it dies within a relatively short amount of time.

So, we don't really call a fetus or even a zygote "not life." That's not the distinction. The question is when is it a human life in its own right.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your finger is not in the process of becoming independent. Not a good comparison.

An infant connot survive on its own either, yet they are considered independent?

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good comparison. Nobody claims that even a cluster of 16 undifferentiated cells is "life."

It is a good comparison because the question is NOT about the potential for independent life, it is, in the minds of many people, a question of when the zygote becomes a "person" who is just in utero, and ceases to be a cluster of cells.

And an infant CAN survive independent of the biological mother.

microman

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
microman, a question for you specifically. Do you draw a specific line in the sand regarding the "breathing on its own" thing with regards to time since conception that you consider it human and no longer right to abort?

For any of you science guys, maybe you can explain something to me.

Why is it when we talk about cells within a female human womb it isn't life, but when we talk about single or multi cell organisms on mars, or deep in the sea attached to some rock or floating in the water, or in the air, that is considered life? I don't understand what the distinction is that you make.

Of course it's "life", life isn't created when conception occurs though, it is simply extended. The egg that gets fertilized was "alive" before fertilization and it's alive afterward. Although the developmental path it will take changes, nothing magical happens. It's similar in a way to a large tumor that grows from previously growth-limited cells.

For these reasons I don't see how one can call a mass of cells, with no discernible human features, a human being just because it's growing in a woman's uterus. I mean you wouldn't call a caterpillar a butterfly would you?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, at what point in time do you say it's human?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw an article a friend posted on FB regarding the Catholic church and the Health Care Bill in relation to abortion. I feel like the article was very slanted and I'm looking into this a bit more. Have any of you read about the concerns the Catholic church has and what is addressed in the bill that you have good links to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Add To Favorites

Jump to: