Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sanctity of Life Sunday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, give a suggestion as to what action to take?

If you think that it is the same level of "murder" as killing a 1 year old toddler, then you should arm yourself and storm the abortion providers in your city, stopping at nothing to stop it.

That's what I think I, and I think you as well, would do if they were killing toddlers.

Quote:
I think there are more abortions today and more unwanted births today than there were 70 years ago. Is an interest in sex a relatively new thing? I dont think so. Society just behaved in a way that avoided it, as their were social pressures and consequences.

I think you are again viewing the past through mawkish, rose colored glasses smeared with Vaseline.

Quote:
Most say, "oh, well, you just cant expect people to be responsible, so we need these methods to abolish personal accountability so society isnt burdened with it as a whole."

Actually, most DON'T say or think that. MOST know that abortion is almost never an easy thing, or a pleasant thing. And most know that few and far between is the girl who says "well, I don't like how a condom feels, so I think I'll just risk it and get an abortion next month if I get pregnant..."

so what's the point of your "responsibility" lecture? If someone ends up pregnant, they are just F'ed? (haha, little pun there). They HAVE to carry the child to term, and either adopt the child out or raise the child? How's that going to go? (insert graphic of bloody hanger or a steaming cup of pennyroyal tea.)

Personally, we chose to have and raise the child. But BELIEVE me, I can't say if that is what everyone in our situation should have done, or whether that's the best thing for anyone involved, including the zygote.

Last edited by Neognosis on Jan 26, 2012 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I appreciate the thoughtful response, Jason. Claiming that there's no religious component to this argument is disingenuous at best.

There is no religious component to my issue with abortion. Not sure how to make it any more genuine than that.

Quote:
Actually, most DON'T say or think that. MOST know that abortion is almost never an easy thing, or a pleasant thing. And most know that few and far between is the girl who says "well, I don't like how a condom feels, so I think I'll just risk it and get an abortion next month if I get pregnant..."

Based on the abortion numbers as a percentage of live births in some of the states, I somewhat disagree. It's hard to make the argument that people are really thinking through their actions when there is a 30%+ abortion rate.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you think that it is the same level of "murder" as killing a 1 year old toddler, then you should arm yourself and storm the abortion providers in your city, stopping at nothing to stop it.

That's what I think I, and I think you as well, would do if they were killing toddlers.

So something along the lines of the groups that have bombed abortion clinics in the past? That's the sort of action you think would be the right thing to do?

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's hard to make the argument that people are really thinking through their actions when there is a 30%+ abortion rate.

I think that figure is nonsense and/or skewed. Can you show where you got it?

Does it count the number of people who go out of state to have an abortion?
There's just so much that can be skewed in a figure like that.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said the same thing when microman said it, but look at www.johnstonsarchive.net and see if there aren't a couple of states with rates at 30%. Most aren't that high, but the states with highest birth rates (CA and NY) are that high along with a couple of other states. They have data by state, county, country, etc. Some of their numbers are based on CDC numbers and some are based on numbers from the Alan Guttmacher Institute, so I think they are reasonable.

CDC numbers also back it up showing that in the 2007 reporting period NYC reported 676 abortions to every 1,000 live births for residents. For all reporting areas the ratio of abortions to live births in 2007 was 192 to every 1,000. Most studies seem to think that the reported statistics are low based on the fact that CA severely underreports and that there are unreported abortions in every state that aren't captured whereas most all live births are captured.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they get those numbers though? Do they include people traveling away from home to do their abortion someplace nobody knows them, or away from protest crowds?

I live in NY. And I have along the number of 20 or so close friends. One has had an abortion.

And me and my group are as "liberal elite" as they come. (well, almost. I own guns and am an amazing shot with a pistol, rifle, and shotgun...)

I am having a VERY hard time believing these numbers. I wonder what the economic breakdown would be?

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... seems like the numbers, though varying by site, seem much higher than I would have expected. Not sure what to make of this...
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the numbers show totals by state and then also total resident abortions by state, so I think they take into account the transient nature of it. It is substantially higher in the northeast and West than I expected and somewhat lower in the southeast than I expected.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
Quote:

So something along the lines of the groups that have bombed abortion clinics in the past? That's the sort of action you think would be the right thing to do?

Thought of something else to add to this. I don't see violence against the clinics or the person as being a good solution. The old "two wrongs don't make a right" concept. With that sort of thinking, maybe everyone should violently protest or attack those that are doing wrong like killing. I dunno...just doesn't seem like the right approach to me and not something I could reconcile in my heart.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't see violence against the clinics or the person as being a good solution. The old "two wrongs don't make a right" concept.

So, if you were walking down the street, and you witnessed a person savagely beating a two year old child, you would do nothing, because violence is wrong and two wrongs don't make a right?

All this points to the only conclusion... you KNOW, deep down, that there is a gray area...i speculate.

microman
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:

Based on the abortion numbers as a percentage of live births in some of the states, I somewhat disagree. It's hard to make the argument that people are really thinking through their actions when there is a 30%+ abortion rate.

Here's a study that I came across that found that at least a slight majority of women who had an abortion had been using some sort of contraception in the month they became pregnant. Intuitively it seems higher than you would expect but like yourself I was also surprised at how many pregnancies are actually terminated when I first heard the 20-30% number. I suppose mostly because people never talk about it in a personal way.

Quote:
More than half of women obtaining abortions in 2000
(54%) had been using a contraceptive method during the
month they became pregnant . This figure is slightly
lower than the proportion of women having abortions
in 1994 who had been contraceptive users (58%) but
slightly higher than the proportion reported in 1987 (51%).

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/3097748

There is also a study that found that women with repeat abortions were not using it as a means of birth control.

Quote:
There is little evidence to suggest that women seeking repeat abortion are using pregnancy termination as a method of birth control. Evidence also does not indicate that women seeking repeat abortion are psychologically maladjusted.

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/172/5/637.short
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
Quote:
I don't see violence against the clinics or the person as being a good solution. The old "two wrongs don't make a right" concept.

So, if you were walking down the street, and you witnessed a person savagely beating a two year old child, you would do nothing, because violence is wrong and two wrongs don't make a right?

All this points to the only conclusion... you KNOW, deep down, that there is a gray area...i speculate.

No, I'd do something in that case, but it doesn't have to be a violent attack in order to subdue the person. There isn't much I can do to stop abortion clinics from doing what they are doing without it being illegal and/ or violent.

Again, no grey area in my mind. The grey area sounds like it is between YOUR ears. Wink

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that so many women used contraception, got pregnant anyway and chose an abortion as the final solution. I've looked into some of these numbers several years ago, but mostly the abortion rates. When you brought those into the discussion it wasn't shocking to me.

Something kind of funny to consider in my mind, is that so many people bash abstinence as a form of BC, but if you looked at the numbers you just posted, if 100% of those women (and the men they were with) practiced abstinence, there would be zero pregnancies and zero abortions. Novel thought, huh? I know there are all kinds of arguments about how that is unrealistic, can't be done, people have needs, etc., but if that was the method used, the results would be pretty dramatic. Just a food for thought illustration.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, I'd do something in that case, but it doesn't have to be a violent attack in order to subdue the person.

Would you write a letter to your representative, or organize a prayer protest?

Quote:
There isn't much I can do to stop abortion clinics from doing what they are doing without it being illegal and/ or violent.

So then you are saying that you would allow a two year old to be killed IF it took illegal or violent action to stop it.

You think there is no difference between terminating a 2 month old fetus, and killing a toddler.

In order to keep the illusion that you really thin this way, you have to now say that you would allow a 2 year old to be slaughtered if stopping it required violence or an illegal act.

Quote:
It is interesting that so many women used contraception, got pregnant anyway and chose an abortion as the final solution.

Don't think anyone who finished high school didn't notice your intentional use of that specific language.

Quote:
Something kind of funny to consider in my mind, is that so many people bash abstinence as a form of BC, but if you looked at the numbers you just posted, if 100% of those women (and the men they were with) practiced abstinence, there would be zero pregnancies and zero abortions.

That's because abstinence is unrealistic.

I also could have gone with "there would also be zero mentally healthy adults."

It's not really food for thought. It's a fantasy.

If nobody ate more than 1,000 calories a day, every day, we also wouldn't have an obesity issue.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me calm down a little and tone it down.

IN my mind, there is no gray area either, when it comes to the decision. But I recognize that realistically, there IS a gray area. Here's an illustration:

If a friend told me that she was 1 month pregnant and she didn't think she was going to carry the child to term, I would ask her if she thought about adoption.
Then, if a week later, I saw her getting into her car and I asked where she was going, and she told me she was going to her OB and she was going to terminate her pregnancy, I MIGHT ask her to reconsider, but likely I would respect her decision, though I would not like it. I would not try to detain her and physically prevent her from leaving.

If someone was about to smother a 2 month old infant in its crib, I would react with the utmost violence and do whatever I had to do to restrain them to save that infant's life.

This tells me that, even though for me PERSONALLY there isn't a gray area, I KNOW that there is a grey area in reality.

Does that make sense?

Mr. Top Hat
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
It is interesting that so many women used contraception, got pregnant anyway and chose an abortion as the final solution. I've looked into some of these numbers several years ago, but mostly the abortion rates. When you brought those into the discussion it wasn't shocking to me.

Something kind of funny to consider in my mind, is that so many people bash abstinence as a form of BC, but if you looked at the numbers you just posted, if 100% of those women (and the men they were with) practiced abstinence, there would be zero pregnancies and zero abortions. Novel thought, huh? I know there are all kinds of arguments about how that is unrealistic, can't be done, people have needs, etc., but if that was the method used, the results would be pretty dramatic. Just a food for thought illustration.

I agree 110 percent. The lack of focus on abstinence only education is a huge reason we are dealing with these problems in the first place. Its as if morals no longer exist in this country

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying and the point that you are trying to make. There does come a point where you have to make a decision whether violence is "right" or justified. Some of that depends on how society views it and the laws that are in place. Most of society today accepts the toddler scenario as murder and the abortion scenario as not murder. You trying to compare the two as a representation of how I feel about them isn't realistic.

If I killed a man that was brutally attacking a toddler, I would be viewed as a hero and likely never be charged with a crime. If I killed a clinic doctor that was performing an abortion, I would be charged with murder. In both cases I will have killed another human being for something that could be considered justifiable by someone that believes in abortion being murder like I do. Unfortunately, society has set up rules that I should follow. I believe in justifiable violence and also believe in obeying the law of the land.

I'm sure you understand what I mean, so let me ask you something...

Taking it from the viewpoint of my beliefs we've already discussed, what would you say a person like myself should do with regard to an abortion clinic?

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Disagree. It is difficult, requires self control, denies self, seems restrictive or unfair, but isn't unrealistic or impossible to do.

Besides full blown abstinence, there are other ways to abstain enough to ensure pregnancy is prevented, if a person absolutely cannot control themselves.

Anyways, I just threw it out there as a thought, not to start up a whole different discussion. There are many peoplle who have chosen to abstain until marriage and did so quite effectively. And you know what, none of them had to deal with the decision of an unwanted pregnancy. That, jack, is a fact. Mr. Green

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, it's unrealistic.

You can't fight a million years of evolution with abstinence only eduction. This is patently RIDICULOUS.

Only a handful of people can even pull it off.
And IMO, they are people with low libidos to begin with anyway.

Ah, UNTIL MARRIAGE. All pregnancies after marriage are wanted?

And yes, many people have waited until marriage. But many more have "failed" even when they determined to wait. People have violated this societal norm even when they knew that the consequences would be as serious as death.

Quote:
If I killed a man that was brutally attacking a toddler, I would be viewed as a hero and likely never be charged with a crime. If I killed a clinic doctor that was performing an abortion, I would be charged with murder.

Sounds like you are saying that you weigh the personal consequences to you, then decide if it is worth carrying out the action or not. You take into consideration what it will mean to YOU before you decide whether to stop a murder or not.

So, even though you think that both an abortion and the slaying of a toddler are "murder," you only would stop one of them because there wouldn't be any consequences to you.

Quote:
Taking it from the viewpoint of my beliefs we've already discussed, what would you say a person like myself should do with regard to an abortion clinic?

A person who believes that there is NO gray area, and that all abortions are the same murder as killing a toddler, should react the same way that they would if they saw a toddler being beaten to death, or cut up with a knife. But that's ONLY if you really, genuinely and honestly believe that there is no difference between a 10 week old fetus and a 10 month old child.

I would stop the murder of a toddler regardless of the consequences to me, I believe. Though I can never know unless I am in that situation.

Though I detest those who have bombed abortion providers or murdered them, at least I can respect that they aren't fooling themselves and show some conviction. They aren't claiming that there is no difference between a fetus and a born child, and then making up a different set of reactions to the "murder" of either one.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short version is, you jsut said that the threat of going to jail is enough for you to allow someone to murder a child.
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrealistic does not mean impossible. Yes, abstinence is unrealistic. We as humans are naturally drawn to sex. It's our animal instinct. Just like my lab naturally loves to retrieve, swim, and work a field, I like to have sex. It's just engrained in you and every other animal on this planet. It's how the species survive. Add to that, our natural reproductive peak is 17-22 +/- a year or so. So when you propose abstinence, you are asking people to go against everything their body is telling them to do. Abstinence is unnatural. People are going to have sex. Not everyone but most people. Then again, a lot of people are abstinent not by their own choosing. Laughing ie. extreme gamers.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how else to put it so it is understandable. All I can say is you aren't getting it. Almost everything you are saying shows me your perception is exactly backwards to what I'm trying to convey.

Let me try something else. Let's go back to the attack on the toddler scenario. If you are faced with that scenario and you have the option of stopping it by subduing the guy or by killing him, which would you choose? I would personally choose the subduing. Why should he be killed when he can be stopped?

Killing is wrong in my belief and if there is a way around it, I'm going to take that approach.

Following the logic you're portraying, I should go on some rampage and go kill every woman that has had an abortion and every clinic doctor that has performed one. Would that be the right thing to do?

microman

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:

If nobody ate more than 1,000 calories a day, every day, we also wouldn't have an obesity issue.

That's pretty much the logic behind abstinence only education. It completely ignores the reality of human behaviour. And in doing so it absolutely fails to prevent teen pregnancy.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't get my mind around it.

I would subdue the guy if possible.

Why don't you subdue women about to have an abortion then? Tie them up, keep them in your church basement until they have the child, then set them free and put the child up for an anonymous adoption?

Quote:
Following the logic you're portraying, I should go on some rampage and go kill every woman that has had an abortion

No, not at all. That would be after the fact, and about punishment. Which I said nothing about. I'm talking about what would you do to prevent the murder of a toddler? And why don't you do the same thing to prevent the "murder" of a fetus?

You said it's because you would be arrested and not portrayed as a hero.

You would physically stop the murder of a child outside the womb

But not inside the womb

yet you claim that both are the same thing.

You're right, I don't get it, and I'm not going to get it.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect the laws of our land and I won't break them just to defend or stop something I don't believe in. In the toddler scenario, the law allows me the right to stop it. In the abortion scenario, it doesn't allow me to do so. That's about the simplest way I can put it.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I respect the laws of our land and I won't break them just to defend or stop something I don't believe in.

I would, if it was as serious as killing children.

Ok, I retire from this with respect and peaceful wishes.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

microman, every form of birth control fails to prevent teen pregnancy when not used as directed. Mr. Green
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
Quote:
I respect the laws of our land and I won't break them just to defend or stop something I don't believe in.

I would, if it was as serious as killing children.

Ok, I retire from this with respect and peaceful wishes.

That distinct difference right there is why it took many posts trying to discuss it back and forth and have understanding, I think.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you two are still going in circles. The point you make here is what my thoughts are and I think similar to what Okie is saying. I may be wrong though.

Quote:
IN my mind, there is no gray area either, when it comes to the decision. But I recognize that realistically, there IS a gray area. Here's an illustration:

If a friend told me that she was 1 month pregnant and she didn't think she was going to carry the child to term, I would ask her if she thought about adoption.
Then, if a week later, I saw her getting into her car and I asked where she was going, and she told me she was going to her OB and she was going to terminate her pregnancy, I MIGHT ask her to reconsider, but likely I would respect her decision, though I would not like it. I would not try to detain her and physically prevent her from leaving.

If someone was about to smother a 2 month old infant in its crib, I would react with the utmost violence and do whatever I had to do to restrain them to save that infant's life.

This tells me that, even though for me PERSONALLY there isn't a gray area, I KNOW that there is a grey area in reality.

As far as the other discussions, abstinence isn't the right answer. The highest abortion rates are in the 20-24 age group where abstinence education is going to do no good. If this was a teenage issue then I may agree with it, but it's not. It covers all age groups.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

microman wrote:
cameraboy wrote:

That's pretty much the logic behind abstinence only education. It completely ignores the reality of human behaviour. And in doing so it absolutely fails to prevent teen pregnancy.

Women were second class citizens for most of human history. They still are in many countries. Was granting them equality unrealistic since it went in the face of all of human history? Some people in the world still think so. I dont think so, but it did mean that those who thought it was unrealistic had to accep a big change in how they handle the situation.

I dont think you teach abstinence as an absolute, I think you teach it as the only option for a precautionless encounter. We have to stop accepting the excuses of the "moment". People have to be conditioned to the idea, but after a time it will be standard operating procedure, much like the success of the modern american woman is today.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not talking about social norms (women being second class citizens)

We are talking about a human drive that is fundamental to the survival of our species, and largely responsible for it.

They do teach abstinence as the only option that is 100% guaranteed to result in no chance of pregnancy.
But it is simply not realistic to fail to teach about birth control and not expect that you will have kids, a lot of them, who do not remain abstinent.

And personally, I don't think i want my kids remaining abstinent until marriage. I don't expect, or want, them to get married until they are in their late 20s.

To compare woman's lib to conditioning people to abstinence is absurd. You aren't even comparing apples to oranges. Your comparing apples to school buses.

You like to wax nostalgic about "better" times. Do you actually think there EVER was a time when kids delayed sex until their mid to late 20's?

Do you REALLY think this is a reasonable thing to expect people to be conditioned to? I'm sure some can, but it is simply not realistic, and it has nothing to do with the culture or what we accept. It has to do with biology and the things that have kept our species alive.

Absurdity.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking about human behavior, and behavior is influenced by society norms. I dont think there was a time where kids werent having sex, but I think there was a time where people were paranoid about getting pregnant. So much so that they would obstain in a situation that lent itself to a perceived greater risk (both founded and unfounded). Now, you have the morning after pill, termination isnt the taboo it once was, and if you decide to keep it you have an opportunity at reality show stardom. These things have stripped away much of the perceived risk that once helped regulate the risky activity.

The comparison to womens lib was comparing the idea of instilling a belief in a society despite current or long standing norms, not comparing a human need for procreation. A great example in our generation is how the AIDS epidemic changed the landscape that had been in place since the 60's. IMO there was a great shift from the free love party scene. Society had its view changed from a "do whatever you want" to a "be really careful who you are with and how you are prepared". I think that fear changed ALOT of behavior.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We are talking about human behavior, and behavior is influenced by society norms.

Yes, it is. But the influence societal norms has on sexuality is just to hide it or change its appearance. Societal pressure will never, ever, ever (am I clear?) prevent people, kids in their sexual prime especially, from having sex. RIGHT NOW, I would wager there are two Amish kids in a barn going to town on each other and praying that the girl's father doesn't roll into the barn in his buggy and catch them. Though, the Amish get married closer to when they are supposed to, instead of waiting until much later in life, so they probably have less difficulty waiting until marriage....

There will always be exceptions, but no amount of societal condemnation will stop it. Ever.

There were active homosexuals when you could lose your job and family and home and everything.

There are gay men doing it in Iran right now, when the penalty is DEATH.

Quote:
I think there was a time where people were paranoid about getting pregnant. So much so that they would obstain in a situation that lent itself to a perceived greater risk (both founded and unfounded). Now, you have the morning after pill, termination isnt the taboo it once was, and if you decide to keep it you have an opportunity at reality show stardom.

I don't think that people take abortion lightly or think it s a fun experience. And the morning after pill is not a picnic either, from what I have seen and been told by women who have taken it. I also don't think anyone thinks that they will get a reality show if they decide to continue the pregnancy. Besides, what side of the fence are you on? Do you want to shame pregnant teenagers?

Quote:
I think that fear changed ALOT of behavior.

You contradict yourself. In your first paragraph, you talk about how everyone is so loose with birth control because they don't fear any consequences.

Then in your second paragraph, you talk about how AIDS changed everything.

Which is it? D?o people have no fear of consequences, or did AIDS change everything?

AIDS changed very little, except for the increased use of condoms. And that didn't even last that long. Because you can't, and will never in the foreseeable future, stop people from having sex when they probably shouldn't.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, not talking about stopping sex. I guess the best way I cant explain it is placing importance on mitigating risk of unwanted pregnancy. I think all the available avenues make mitigating that risk less of a priority.

Im not saying anyone takes abortion or the morning after pill lightly. I think they take mitigating risk lightly because these options, albeit difficult ones, are available.

AIDs did change the common practice as you admitted. You also admitted to understanding it was short lived. So how am I contradicting myself? It was an example of a historical fact from our lifetime. its much more easily related than giving some example for the 1500's.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess the best way I cant explain it is placing importance on mitigating risk of unwanted pregnancy.

I can get down with that. I think that the way to place importance on mitigating risk of unwanted pregnancy is honest and real education, not politically or morally motivated exclusion of certain realities.

Quote:
how am I contradicting myself?

You contradict yourself if your point is that abstinence education is ever going to be effective at having a lasting impact on the number of people having sex who are not trying to have a baby.

Even the threat of DEATH by a horrible disease is not enough to change the result of a million years of human evolution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Add To Favorites

Jump to: