Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sanctity of Life Sunday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When science gets to the point that he could carry the baby to term and nurse, he should have the choice to keep the child and have it moved to him to carry. Until then, her call.

Interesting thought.

Quote:

This is another area where it is not black and white. If you think that the man should have 50% of the say in whether to have the child, does he also have 50% of the power to force a woman to have an abortion if she doesn't want one? It IS 1/2 his DNA, as you pointed out....

That's where a big part of the quandry comes in, huh? You could look at it as 50/50. The woman says yes, the man says no...stalemate. Then what?

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a quandary for me.

How have courts decided? I'm betting that they have decided that a man cannot force a woman to carry a child to term if she doesn't want to.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, the courts have ruled that way. Similarly, courts rule more in favor of the mother than the father in custody cases, much of the time. I have a couple friends who deal with this. What about the man's rights with the child, huh?
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rulings on divorce and custody are lagging behind the times.

Most of the divorce and custody rules, and child support and alimony law made sense in the 50's, 60's 70's, and maybe a little in the 80's. Now that women are just as, if not more, capable of supporting themselves and most households are double income, they need to change to reflect these things.

microman
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:

The woman says yes, the man says no...stalemate. Then what?

This is why it isn't "50/50". The male would have to force their will on the female if they are to be satisfied in this case. Whatever the woman chooses, there are no physical consequences for the father.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, I think there is more than just the financial aspect that should be considered, as well.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else should be considered besides financial information when we are talking about child support and alimony?
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let's say a woman pregnant with a child that is at 3 months gets raped and murdered. The man who committed the crime is caught and charged. He gets charged with rape and murder...2 counts of murder or 1?

I think I have read in the past where the unborn child is considered a victim in the case of a murder. I don't know if that's past a certain gestational period or what, but some of the legal guys should be answer to it.

Quote:
Gee, I don't know. Maybe it's because the unborn child is unborn. There is no life lived, no experiences had. No children mourning the loss of their mother, etc.

I mean no disrespect by this, but the difference is the attachment the outside world has in my opinion. There has been a chance for things to happen and bonds to build and the future has been taken away in the case of a murder. You've taken the same future away in the case of the abortion in my opinion, there is just no past for others to have an attachment to.

This will be debated from here until eternity with people on both sides of the fence. To me it's not a religious thing, it comes down to I have 2 kids, I watched the ultrasounds all the way through the pregnancy, and there is no difference in my mind between the 10 week old fetus and the 30 week old fetus. You have a baby in a specific stage of development either way.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there is no difference in my mind between the 10 week old fetus and the 30 week old fetus.

There's no difference in my mind between a seed and a flower.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew, you are right, the difference is actual vs potential. The actual carries a hell of a lot more weight in my book. There are real, tangible, and lasting consequences to removing an adult - a mother, father, brother, sister, child, etc. Potential is just pie in the sky - it's not real.

You say "you have" - and that's the thing - you want to have the child vs a woman who does not. I guarandamntee you while you are looking at the US and going "awwww", the woman who wants the abortion is going "oh sh*t".

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
What else should be considered besides financial information when we are talking about child support and alimony?

I was referring more to custody issues, not so much child support and alimony.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, indeed.

What else do you think should be considered in custody issues? Obvious things like history of abuse, criminal record, etc.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't so much what is considered, but how. A particular friend of mine has gone through this with custody of his daughter. I'll just say that the mom virtually has to be a crack head for the daughter to go full custody or even more than 50% to the dad. Why does it favor the mother even when the father is able to provide a more stable household (again, not from a financial stand point)?
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is very difficult and unusual for a father to get full custody if the mother contests it.

It favors the mother even when the father is able to provide a more stable household because of the stereotype that mothers are better caregivers and nurturers.

and to my own detriment, perhaps, I do think that a young child under the age of, say, 6 or so needs to be with their mother more than their father. But I can't back this up with anything substantial.

Another factor is probably that, for years, fathers went away to work while mothers stayed home with the children.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
brew, you are right, the difference is actual vs potential. The actual carries a hell of a lot more weight in my book. There are real, tangible, and lasting consequences to removing an adult - a mother, father, brother, sister, child, etc. Potential is just pie in the sky - it's not real.

I agree with the actual vs potential part, but where we diverge is that you refer to the potential as pie in the sky. To me the potential is tangible and it's there, it's just yet to be realized.

Quote:
You say "you have" - and that's the thing - you want to have the child vs a woman who does not. I guarandamntee you while you are looking at the US and going "awwww", the woman who wants the abortion is going "oh sh*t".

For clarification "we" have 2 kids. I've never been in the position of having an unwanted pregnancy to deal with. However, I know people that have and there are a lot more out there that have also had an unwanted pregnancy and gone through with it. To me, once you've reached the point of having to discuss a pregnancy then you've gone past the point of return at that point. Every decision we make has consequences and to me that isn't a consequence you can turn back from. It's been said before, but there are plenty of people out there looking to adopt. I'm not judging anyone for it, that's just my opinion.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To me the potential is tangible and it's there, it's just yet to be realized.

If every embryo has amazing potential, why do some of you always throw around the "they get pregnant so that they can collect more welfare" argument?

To extend that argument even further into the absurd, shouldn't you not be masturbating or having sex with a condom? Is 1/2 a person still the potential to be a person?

Yea, I know. absurd. But only by degree.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one said they all had amazing potential. If you go back to the beginning of the string of questions it was in reference to the difference between murder and abortion.

I'm not going to address the masturbation part because it's no different then a women's cycle. It doesn't become a discussable point until there is conception in my opinion. Then I guess the larger discussion results in when each person thinks you have life.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It doesn't become a discussable point until there is conception in my opinion.

So it's CONCEPTION, not pre-conception, that is the potential for life.

So, to sum that up, one whole cell yet to divide into two is the same as a toddler who just learned to walk.

Quote:
hen I guess the larger discussion results in when each person thinks you have life.

Yes

which is why it IS a gray issue, and why okie and bgirl are not storming the abortion providers in their city with guns ablazing.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, to sum that up, one whole cell yet to divide into two is the same as a toddler who just learned to walk.

Not exactly. For clarification for me the line in the sand is around the time a heartbeat registers. Anything after that I consider black and white and I have a problem with. Anything before that I'm still against, but that's my personal grey area. Would I prefer that all pregnancies have a chance, sure. Is that going to happen, probably not.

In regards to your cell versus toddler point, there are substantial differences between a 2 day old and 22 year old as well but they both have a chance at life. However, that 2 day old can't sustain itself any more than a 20 week old fetus can. It may be able to breathe on it's own, but that's not going to get it very far on it's own.

Quote:
which is why it IS a gray issue, and why okie and bgirl are not storming the abortion providers in their city with guns ablazing.

No argument. I'm not debating the higher meaning of it, I'm just giving you my opinion on where the line in the sand is. Everyone's line is different.
microman

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are those who are so strongly against abortion willing to have their taxes increased to support the excess of unwanted children, including those born with severe disabilities who require a great deal of resources devoted to their care? I haven't heard anyone say they would support an expansion of social programs, other than to suggest that adoption will fill the void. Which is essentially a non-starter since we know that no one is going to adopt all these children.

When you consider that roughly 30% of all pregnancies are terminated, that's a lot of extra children to have to pay for. And despite the belief that women use abortion as a means of birth control, there is no evidence to support that. So it's unlikely that restrictions on abortion are going to mean significantly fewer pregnancies overall. Someone will have to pay.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you consider that roughly 30% of all pregnancies are terminated, that's a lot of extra children to have to pay for.

I would like to see some numbers backing this up, because this seems way outside of what I would think the numbers are. Granted I live right in the middle of the Bible Belt, so other areas of the country may be skewing the numbers.

Quote:
So, are those who are so strongly against abortion willing to have their taxes increased to support the excess of unwanted children, including those born with severe disabilities who require a great deal of resources devoted to their care? I haven't heard anyone say they would support an expansion of social programs, other than to suggest that adoption will fill the void. Which is essentially a non-starter since we know that no one is going to adopt all these children.

I personally have no problem with the social programs that serve those that can't help themselves. However, there is a great deal of waste that needs to be cleaned up. My problems tend to be more with the programs that are out there to help those that choose not to help themselves. As far as adoption goes, it is a viable option. Many people are going overseas for adoption now due to various issues, but there are a significant number of adoptions where I live.
microman

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:

I would like to see some numbers backing this up, because this seems way outside of what I would think the numbers are. Granted I live right in the middle of the Bible Belt, so other areas of the country may be skewing the numbers.

I might be a bit high on that one after looking it up. It's closer to 20%, which is still a lot though.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6015a1.htm?s_cid=ss6015a1_w

brew wrote:

As far as adoption goes, it is a viable option. Many people are going overseas for adoption now due to various issues, but there are a significant number of adoptions where I live.

We'd be talking about potentially a large number of unwanted children though. I don't think there would be enough people willing to adopt, even assuming that many women would keep their children anyway. Plus a lot of these children would not be the ones that are seen as desirable.

Of course this is all unlikely to happen even if severe restrictions were put on abortion access, since many women would still seek clandestine abortions despite all the risks that come with it.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To me the potential is tangible and it's there, it's just yet to be realized.

To me, the potential for me to win SuperLotto is tangible and it's there, it's just yet to be realized. Neutral

Just sayin'. Pie in the sky. Until it's realized, it's vaporware.

There are a good number of people looking to adopt, but not enough. If all the "pro-lifers" would put their money where their mouth is, there'd probably be a lot less kids still needing to be adopted.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To me, the potential for me to win SuperLotto is tangible and it's there, it's just yet to be realized.

Just sayin'. Pie in the sky. Until it's realized, it's vaporware.

If you think a fetus with a heartbeat is vaporware, that's your choice. It's not the way I view it. I'm not entirely sure how anyone with a kid can choose to view it that way, but that's your deal not mine.

Quote:
There are a good number of people looking to adopt, but not enough. If all the "pro-lifers" would put their money where their mouth is, there'd probably be a lot less kids still needing to be adopted.

If all these people were a little more responsible for their actions instead of looking at abortions as a means of birth control, there would be a lot less kids needing to be adopted and a lot less abortions in the mean time.

We can go around this circle all day, but the only one that's getting a choice in the matter is the mother. In my opinion there is another life there that deserves some consideration.

Quote:
I might be a bit high on that one after looking it up. It's closer to 20%, which is still a lot though.

Based on those numbers I don't know that I would disagree with you on the numbers overwhelming the adoption avenue.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, I would say conception IS life and pre-conception has the potential to become life. That's the way I see it and where I draw my line.

Also, in the case of the hypotheticals I gave, I would want to try to save the fetus whether it was 12 weeks or 39 weeks and I would want to see the rapist/murderer charged with two counts of murder. The reason I asked those questions, which I'm sure some of you figured out (explaining the lack of answers), is that I've had this conversation in person before (I know...shocking, huh?). Almost everyone I've met that thinks life is only after third trimester or just after birth, say they would still go to great lengths to save a baby younger than that and they would want to see the rapist/murderer charged with two counts of murder. That seems inconsistent to me and if a person is OK with terminating what they don't consider a life, why be willing to consider it a life in the other scenarios. It's just a discussion point and still the person believes what they believe, and I respect that, but just doesn't jive to me.

Like I said earlier, it is black and white in my belief and I would not have an abortion myself (if I was female). I would also strongly urge a female I got pregnant to do the same.

Maybe black and white isn't the right term, but cut and dry is? I dunno.

The way society looks at it and the way our Constitution is written, it doesn't seem like a law against it is beneficial...one of those things better left up to the individual. That's why I'm not storming an abortion clinic and demanding they be shut down. I do take steps to ensure I don't support them, though.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Granted I live right in the middle of the Bible Belt, so other areas of the country may be skewing the numbers.

I would be SHOCKED if the numbers for your area are not similar if not HIGHER than the rest of the country. SHOCKED. This kind of stuff isn't exactly stuff people discuss openly...

Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone explain the burning desire to force everyone, regardless of faith (or lack thereof) to adopt your morality? If your god tells you that abortion is a sin, and you choose not to have one based on those grounds, why isn't that enough for you? Does that not leave you in good standing with your god? Why do I also have to be in good standing with your god (one that I don't believe in) to satisfy you?
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the numbers I lookied at, it was 14.4% in TN in 2009. New York and California definitely skew the numbers as they both have the highest rates of live births (about 7 times what TN has) along with the greatest percentage of abortions (31.1% and 28.0%.) Most of the Southern states outside of FL are below 15% with several actually being in single digits.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it doesn't seem like a law against it is beneficial...one of those things better left up to the individual. That's why I'm not storming an abortion clinic and demanding they be shut down.

If I truly believed that the abortions happening tonight were the same thing as killing a bunch of two year olds, or even 1 month old babies, I would not be sitting here on my computer.

If there was a doctor's office here where they were killing children, I would stop at NOTHING to stop it. Including violence on the spot. I don't see how anyone could feel differently.

so those of you that claim that you think there is no difference, I can't really respect your lack of violent action this very moment, when abortions are surely happening in your city.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If all the "pro-lifers" would put their money where their mouth is, there'd probably be a lot less kids still needing to be adopted.

Quote:

If all these people were a little more responsible for their actions instead of looking at abortions as a means of birth control, there would be a lot less kids needing to be adopted and a lot less abortions in the mean time.

Both of these are true.

I agree wholeheartedly with what chavez said and wish more people would step up to the plate in that regard. I am fortunate to have a few friends like this and I am very proud of them for the heart they have. We have a couple we are friends with that are right smack in the middle of adopting right now.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so those of you that claim that you think there is no difference, I can't really respect your lack of violent action this very moment, when abortions are surely happening in your city.

It is a legal means to end a pregnancy. While I don't agree with it, there is no use for violent action. At that point I'm the only one breaking the law which seems pointless. There are a variety of laws I don't agree with or think serve no purpose, such as some drugs being illegal. However, I'm not going to start growing pot it in my closet as a sign of protest.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you be as complacent if it there were some legal means to kill two year olds, and so they were killing two year old children that the parents didn't want daily?

I would not suffer a law that was that drastically wrong, and would not allow this to go on while I did virtually nothing.

But those of you who claim that there is not a difference between a 1st trimester fetus and an infant, those of you who claim it is still the same level of murder, are disingenuous at best if you don't do all you can, even above the law, to stop it right now.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, give a suggestion as to what action to take?
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone explain the burning desire to force everyone, regardless of faith (or lack thereof) to adopt your morality?

The idea of the sanctity of human life is not a religious morality issue. If I believe women deserve equal rights to men and I go over to the middle east and express my opinion, am I trying to press my religious morality on them? It is a universal human rights issue that transcends religous opinion or sociatal morality. Its odd that everyone equates abortion with religion.

The elephant in the room is the question of whether people can control their behavior. I think they can when the consequences are looming. Look at the crime rate in Singapore. Are they just breeding moral people over there? I think there are more abortions today and more unwanted births today than there were 70 years ago. Is an interest in sex a relatively new thing? I dont think so. Society just behaved in a way that avoided it, as their were social pressures and consequences.

The bottom line is that abortion should be legal for extreme cases, but ideally never needed for convienence cases. How do we get to the point where we as a people do not have to draw our own little line in the sand? Most say, "oh, well, you just cant expect people to be responsible, so we need these methods to abolish personal accountability so society isnt burdened with it as a whole." I say, why cant we as a society EXPECT that from our members?

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the thoughtful response, Jason. Claiming that there's no religious component to this argument is disingenuous at best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Add To Favorites

Jump to: