Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Looking to buy 1996 MC 205 need help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
O'brienGotWake

City: Michigan, Warren

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Looking to buy 1996 MC 205 need help... Reply with quote

I am looking at (2) 96 prostar 205's I was wondering if anyone uses them for boarding and what benifits it has over the 190 old hull and new. It has powerslot i got informed on it but i was curious what everyone thought of it (is it worth it, how well does it perform). Same with the LT-1 330 hp engine. Are these valuble options?

Also should i worry bout anything one has 49 hrs but the other has 750

They are the same boat (same color and all) except for the one has 750 hrs, powerslot, walk-thru seat. price $22,000

The other is same LT-1 with no seat 49 hrs. and minus the powerslot for $22,500

Thanks in advance for any info.
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only offer you limited amount of info on the '96. We have a '99 205 and the boat does great for satisfying the skier and boarder. When weighted the '99 can throw a decent wake, but the hull on the '99 is the same as the X-star, just in a direct drive configuration. I'm not sure if the '96 has the same hull. Ours has the Lt1 with the Northstar Ignition and the powerslot. 700 hours and no problems at all. If I were you, I would probably look real closely at the boat with lower hours, for only 500 more.
Versus the 190, I really like the open bow of the 205. Although there are some dudes on here with 190's and like the wake, I've never been behind a really sacked out 190, so I can't tell you how the wake is....but for slalom, it's sweet! Good Luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kstateskier
Criminal
Criminal

City: Manhattan, KS

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would go with the one with 700 hours. A '96 with only 49 hours on it, that's 7 hours a year, I've put more on in a day. I would be wondering if this boat had any maintenance done on it during that time or if it just sat without being touched at all, just deteriorating.
O'brienGotWake

City: Michigan, Warren

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that if weighted right this boat would produce like an x-star minus v-drive which for some reason im not a very big fan of. thanks for the insight I just talk to the dealer and he said i could get a 2 yr warranty on it from MC so im think im gonn lean to the powerslot with more hours cause if its put out for 750 and no major problems 90% of the time it will last for ever.

any more info (weight... how much location) and feedback would be great.

Ride Hard
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'best' wake I've been able to produce was with 550lbs of water ballast in the trunk, 300lbs of sandbags under the bow seats and eight adults sitting in all seats and one on the engine box.....that was one hell of a good time and the motor still ran strong and the boat handled very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mastercraft1995

City: Salem. Or

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 95 prostar 205 and love it. We bought it 2.5 years ago for 18,000 and it only had 115 hours. All maint was done on the boat. Not one thing has gone wrong with it. I do all the maintance on it. I do need to change the drive shaft seal this year, that is a normal thing that needs to be done. We weight it down with 2 x 350 pound sack plus 5 or 6 people and the wake is plenty big. The wake for skiing is very nice not as good as the 190 but you can't have the best of both worlds. I would buy another one in a heart beat. Very Happy
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 97 205 with the 275 hp engine. Great for wakeboarding no problems at all. I think the 96 hull is the same, i am not really sure. From like 96-97 through 02 the 205 is the same as x star, so weighted properly will give same wake. My buddies who board on my boat and our friends 01 xstar say the wake is the same. I would definetely have an independant mechanic look at the engines, and then decide which to buy. they need to check the comprression in each cylinder, etc. Also, my "boat guy" who is excellent, tells me that you need to change the prop in those boats not originally made for wakeboarding. The prop is like the gears in a boat. If you put more weight in the boat, you need a lower gear (smaller prop, less pitch). Otherwise, you can blow the engine after use. You can get a prop from dealer or various companies. If you think about it, it does not make sense that you would use same prop for skiing, as for boarding with 2000 extra pounds in boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: