Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Back Pain?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carter18j

City: Conway

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Back Pain? Reply with quote

First off I'll start by saying I've never had any back or hip problems before, but when I am wakeboarding after the 4th start, start as in falling and getting back up, my left hip/lower back starts to hurt. It eventually gets to the point where I can't even cut hard or barely jump. Any suggestions? Oh and I'm right foot forward.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you? I'm 42 and don't have any problems with that. I would say you need to make sure to stretch out more, not just before you ride, but all the time.
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it meens that your stance is wrong. correct your stance and you will notice a difference
rickwetherald

City: San Marcos

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a recurring problem? Are you just starting out with wakeboarding? If so, you'll likely improve your balance and technique so you rely less on brute muscle force to get out of the water. Typically new riders experience the highest force on the rope (and therefor throughout the body, including the back/hips) just as they're getting pulled out on a deep water start. So, if you improve your balance during starts and transition to a normal riding position quicker, you'll decrease the amount of force through your back and the pain should go away.

However, if you have been doing this for longer and it's something that happens consistently, the issue i probably structural (as in your body, not your board). Your stance would have to be grossly off to give you such severe pain regularly. A good warmup certainly couldn't hurt, and could be the answer, but most riders don't need this and instead use the first few cuts and slides as a warmup after they get up. To be sure, swim 2-3 laps around the boat before your next set, and see if that does anything. I'm guessing that if the pain usually doesn't come on until a few minutes into your pull, rather than right away, just warming up won't totally fix it. Since you never have symptoms during any normal daily activities, chances are the problem could be addressed with a little bit of specific gym work. Exactly what specific work would be tough to tell without actually seeing where the pain is and what motions hurt it once it has flared up.

If this continues to be a problem, post back here; I'm a big orthopedics geek, and I like to see how things like this play out.
carter18j

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 19, and I think it is the stance. I usually ride a Ronix 138 3-stage rocker, and changed to a Hyperlite Murray 140 continuous rocker last week and still experienced it. Supposed to go out Wednesday and Thursday of this week so I'll try switching up the stance of the bindings.
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stance is off. angle yourself a little more towards the boat. it sounds like now your angled away from it a strainng your muscles to stay inline with it like over rotating your hips if that sounds right?

btw im 18, broken both my ankles and have a re-occuring tear in my miniscus so i know your pain

carter18j

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm pretty sure it's not the stance, but I may be wrong. The other day my back did fine, but as I tried cutting out farther toe-side to try a wake-to-wake jump, I felt it in my lower back, kind of in my hip. Any further suggestions? I've been stretching and even tried some lower back strengthening exercises.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its very hard to tell from description, cuz it can be your body position from a deep water start, your riding stance, muscle strength, or even a combination of them.

any chance you could video yourself and throw it up here so we can see? it'd make things easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: