Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Board Size Help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDEndurance

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Board Size Help? Reply with quote

Hi! I'm looking for some advice on board size. I recently got a Liquid Force Angel 138. This is the first board I've own. Previously I've ridden a LF Omega 139, LF Melissa 137, LF Jett 134, LF Jett 136, and LF Luna 133. The Omega was horrible too heavy and it had fins and I felt like I couldn't manuver it. The Luna was horrible I face planted just buttersliding and it kept sinking. I loved the Melissa and the Jett but both were out of my price range. I've ridden the Angel twice and have liked it okay so far....not as much as the Jett but still well. Everyone is telling me its too big for me. I still have time to exchange it for a 134 or a 130. I don't know if I should or not.

About me. I'm 5'5" and weigh 130. I've been riding for 2 years. I love surface tricks....I can do surface 360s both regular and switch. I can go in and out of the wake backwards. I can do small one wake jumps and 180 ollies. Any advice on which size would be better for me? Thanks Smile
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we go by the usual guidelines, weighing 130lbs would mean a board from 130 to 138. of course with some wider boards you can go a little on the shorter side.

while 133 is actually a good length to ride (i'm 155lbs and share a 134 S4 board with the missus, who's 105lbs) the luna is a narrower board and sits a little lower in the water at the same length. if you enjoy a bigger board that sits higher in the water, there's nothing stopping you from going to 138. i'll just list the potential issues that you should consider before keeping with that, but whether they apply is completely up to you.

1. a bigger board spins slower in the air - while you enjoy doing surface tricks at the moment, you have to consider that one day you'll begin trying more air tricks, some of which do include spinning 180/360's etc. personally i think that as long as the technique is correct, spins like 540's are doable even with a board a bit too long.

2. a bigger board is naturally a little bit wider, sometimes it makes holding an aggressive edge when charging at the wake a little more difficult - this isn't a biggie tho, it just takes a bit more time to get used to and possibly edging out further before the progressive edge back in

3. car fit etc - i can throw my 134 into the car boot no problem while my friend's 140 takes a bit of careful maneuvering. you guys probably have big cars anyway so it's not a problem.

4. exaggerated movements for ollies etc - since the board is bigger, when you ollie you'd have to throw your weight back quite a bit more in order to press the backend into water. and since you dont weight as much, you can't pump the board as low into water as somebody heavier with the same technique can, which means your ollie isn't as high as you're capable of. i can ollie to almost chest height sliders on the 134 S4 but with a 138 S4 i can only get to a couple inches above waist height. this is not a biggie tho unless you have to jump onto sliders a lot

all in all a slightly bigger board isn't too bad, bear in mind that when you rode those different boards it could be the attached fins affecting you - if they were off, it's a different board.

i think a lot of people would tell you to go 134, and myself would actually say the same thing, but if you do decide to keep the 138, it shouldn't really disadvantage you in any way. the important question is, which one YOU enjoy riding more Razz
SDEndurance

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I swapped my board out for a 134 and will give it a shot. I have read smaller boards makes for harder landings. Any insight on what they mean by "smaller"?
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaller's usually refered to the board size in terms of length, 134, 138 etc

a shorter board has a smaller surface area, it sinks into the water more given everything else being equal (rider, stance, weight, board shape, boat speed, water condition etc)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: