Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Newbie wakeskater - help with finding a board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavring

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Newbie wakeskater - help with finding a board Reply with quote

I just started wakeboarding and I'm totally hooked. Now I want to buy a wakeskate. I come from a skate and snow background so I have learned fast.

I will not be riding any cable or rail, just behind the boat. I'm 5'9'' and 165lbs. I will also be sharing this with a girlfriend of mine and she's slightly smaller than I am. I know nothing about wakeskate and I have never tried it, so I need all the help I can get. What size and board do you recommend? I don't care too much about the price, only if it's worth it's $'s.

Thanks
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine on anything from a 38"-40" or so (most skates fit in that range). From there, it really depends on what you want in a board. The two main types are wood and composite.

Wood skates are more like a skate deck, shaped wood. They're a little less durable, but I love the feel of them. They can get somewhat heavy (again, something I personally like in a skate).

Composite skates are basically any of the ones made out of non-wood materials. Some companies have a wood core wrapped in composite, while others are completely composite material. Composite skates tend to be a lot more durable than wood, some have interesting shapes (the liquid force MOD for example has huge kicktails that a wood board can't really offer without being crazy heavy) and are, in general, more light-weight.

What are you looking to spend? Is this something you really want to get in to or try out for a season or two before spending a lot on a board?
Cavring

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Now I have the size down at least.

as for the durable part... will that matter if I will not be doing rails... or will the wooden deck take damage of being in the water over time?

Where I live the cheapest LF board is $300, so I was thinking of something in that price range - plus minus (I have the chance to buy a bord in the US). I'm guessing I will spend some time wakeskating and wakeboarding. As it's so much more expensive here I could always sell without losing that much money if I find myself wakeboarding most of the time. Either way I have no trouble with getting a last years model.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooden skates do tend to get water-logged over time, especially if you're trying to save money and buy a lower-end skate. Probably the best and most durable wooden skates are made by a company called "remote". They're amazing but a bit expensive.

I'd say try and find something you can afford that will last. Is there any way to tell us what's available where you're at and maybe we can help from there?
Cavring

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planing to shop something online because I'm going to the US in less than three weeks, so I guess I'll have almost everything to choose from. A quick browse around and 150-250 seems to get me going on a lot of 2011 closeouts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: