Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

KITEBOARDER COMING BACK TO WAKEBOARDING > BOARD HELP PLS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonpig

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: KITEBOARDER COMING BACK TO WAKEBOARDING > BOARD HELP PLS Reply with quote

Hi guys …. Im sure u see this request a lot but im hoping a few of me might be able to offer some help or give suggestions on where to find help.
I'm looking for a wakeboard . Im 31, 6'3 , 200 - 210 lbs , been wakeboarding on and off for 15 yrs. I never really had the opportunity to progress much further than wake to wake jumps but I'm very comfortable behind the boat. I have also been kitesurfing for 4 yrs and ride at an advanced level . Like kiting i will be looking for a board that has good pop and will be great for powered moves. I don't want a board that is too slippery so pls steer me away from that or 2 heavy.(for those of you who kite u will know that there isn’t that much rocker in kiteboards) Am happy to buy something high end if thats what i need but have heard that some of the pro rider boards are probably going to be too aggressive for me. I also need bindings . Close toe or open toe ? Don't really want something too stiff because I'm used to open footstraps from kiting. Lastly this will prely be for boat riding as no cable parks in HK
THANKS A LOT for your help

So far i have had Ronix Relick bindings and either a Ronix bill or One 142 board recommended

I am fortunately enough to not really have a budget but am looking for something that will last me a few years So pls fire away !
thejoe

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellow kiter here that just got into wakeboarding at the cable park. I bought a SS Reflex 141 and love it. I'm 180 lbs but went for the bigger board to ride behind the kite. Have not got to try it yet since we are in our off season but might get a chance today.

You can all ways ride larger fins if you get a board that feels too loose for you.
Dragonpig

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes good point. Yeah i have seen SS gone into wakeboarding in a big way ... i am a fan of their kites but havent found a board of theirs a like so far
thejoe

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know I was able to get out on the Reflex today man. I was flying my 9m fuel in about 20kts. I honestly thought I was going to have to get out a bigger kite. Took some work in the lulls to keep going but rode great. Went upwind fine pop was good.

If anything at least SS makes their boards in the U.S.A. That alone has converted me to them.
Dragonpig

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting !!!
V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't kiteboard, but would like to. So I can't help much with comparisons, but here's what I can offer you.

Board size: At least a 140. Most boards come in a 140, 141, or 142 option. I would recommend one of these sizes for you. 143+ is bigger than you need. I'm 6'2" and 185 pounds and ride a 137. I can easily ride my friend's 134 and have ridden as small as a 129 with no issue.

Boards that aren't slippery: Look for a board that has center fins bolted in. Most do, the board I ride being an exception. I HATE center fins, but if you want that extra "grab" they definitely offer it. Good thing is most center fins are bolted in, so you can remove them should you decide to.

Boards that aren't heavy: I'm with you here! That's why I ride what I ride, its the lightest freaking board I've ever lifted. I have a digital and super accurate scale here at my office for shipping, and I weigh all of my boards and my friends' boards obsessively. I can tell you for a fact which boards weigh the most and the least.
Unfortunately I can't give you a full list of boards though, so you may search the internet or manufacturers' websites for the weight.
I HATE a heavy board, it feels like I have to throw it around vs. it just going where I move.

Open toe vs close toe: Seems you like the feel of water, you may consider open toe. They both are going to give you plenty of control.
In terms of stiffness, stiffness = support. I have weak/bad ankles, so I ride some pretty stiff boots (the Ronix Cell). 3 of my friends tried mine and all 3 bought some themselves. SUPER comfortable but they are stiff and offer a lot of support. I want support, seems you don't. Remember wakeboard landings can be pretty tough. I'm sure some kite landings are too, I wouldn't know. But I would recommend something that offers some stiffness and support.
If that's NOT what you want, honestly the cheaper the better as a general rule. Less supportive bindings cost less to make, are generally less desirable, have less material, and thus not stiff. I can't recommend anything to you as I try for supportive bindings and I have no experience with non-supportive ones.

I wish you lived closer, I'd let you ride some of my boards and bindings in trade for a kite lesson!

Best,

Dusty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: