Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

blue algae

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lthompson

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: blue algae Reply with quote

Who have heard of blue algae and if you have warnings for it in your area lakes, do you still go out? Eufaula lake in OK has some blue algae warnings and my Boat connection doesnt wanna go out cuz he dont wanna get sick... So whats the deal? thanks by the way the eufaula warning is way up on the north tip of the lake. North of i-40. Low risk everywhere else.
fotoshark

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poisonous blue-greens occur in ponds and lakes throughout the world. In Canada, they primarily occur in the prairie provinces. Poisoning has caused the death of cows, dogs, and other animals. Although humans ordinarily avoid drinking water that displays a blue-green bloom or scum, they may be affected by toxic strains when they swim or ski in recreational water bodies during a bloom. Typical symptoms include redness of the skin and itching around the eyes; sore, red throat; headache; diarrhea; vomiting; and nausea. The frequently occurring `swimmers itch' is attributed to contact with Lyngbya majuscula, Schizothrix calcicola and Oscillatoria nigroviridis, which are commonly found in tropical and subtropical seawaters. The toxins responsible are lipid-soluble phenolic compounds. Since the same or similar symptoms can be produced by bacteria or viruses, one should not necessarily conclude that blue-greens are responsible for a human illness simply because the sick individual recently swam in a lake or pond that has suffered a bloom. Human death has not been documented. Reported cases affecting humans list Anabaena as the main culprit.

Googled.

http://lakes.chebucto.org/cyano.html

Doesnt sound like it'll kill ya necessarily, but it'll ruin a day by the sounds of those symptoms ...

- T.
3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are dealing with this problem up in my neck of the woods on Oneida Lake... it turns the water a kool-aid green color. This was last weekend...Its a very shallow lake for our region and it heats up quickly and we get these algae blooms every year...

The water isn't even enjoyable at this point, its like bath water and these 90* days it offers no relief. No we don't swim in it either, some do... but I find another lake to go on when this happens.

2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer
brotherbrown831
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Oklahoma City

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Bachelor party at Eufaula this coming weekend. I really hope the algae is not to bad,, we wont know if the getting sick is from the algae or the hangover.
boardordie
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Piqua/Ohio

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Lake St. Mary's, Celina Ohio... very shallow lake and no water coming in or going out... currently can not swim, eat the fish you catch, or let pets drink out of lake.

The blue algae has gotten so bad that the UV rays can't penetrate the 4'-6' of water and reach bottom. Since the UV rays aren't reaching bottom, they aren't killing the bacteria growing in the silt. The bacteria has now become so bad that people have landed in ICU from complication and multiple pets have died. To put it in perspective... the last time (2 years ago) I put my boat in that lake I couldn't see my toes when I was standing on the swim platform and water 2" deep washed over them. Crying or Very sad
I have friends that can't get the water line or the upholstery stain out of their boat after one afternoon on the water from last year. Evil or Very Mad
Gryphon
Criminal
Criminal

City: Hamilton

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kid don't mind the algae.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/green-algae-yellow-sea-194125276.html
kenvinlee89

City: USA

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotoshark wrote:
Poisonous blue-greens occur in ponds and lakes throughout the world. In Canada, they primarily occur in the prairie provinces. Poisoning has caused the death of cows, dogs, and other animals. Although humans ordinarily avoid drinking water that displays a blue-green bloom or scum, they may be affected by toxic strains when they swim or ski in recreational water bodies during a bloom. Typical symptoms include redness of the skin and itching around the eyes; sore, red throat; headache; diarrhea; vomiting; and nausea. The frequently occurring `swimmers itch' is attributed to contact with Lyngbya majuscula, Schizothrix calcicola and Oscillatoria nigroviridis, which are commonly found in tropical and subtropical seawaters. The toxins responsible are lipid-soluble phenolic compounds. Since the same or similar symptoms can be produced by bacteria or viruses, one should not necessarily conclude that blue-greens are responsible for a human illness simply because the sick individual recenswam in a lake or pond that has suffered a bloom. Human death has not been documented. Reported cases affecting humans list Anabaena as the main culprit.

Googled.

http://lakes.chebucto.org/cyano.html

Doesnt sound like it'll kill ya necessarily, but it'll ruin a day by the sounds of those symptoms ...

- T.
Great post! It's very nice . Thank you so much for your post
cubbies017
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bloomfield Hills

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of that. Sounds like a total buzz kill though.
magilla

City: Canton

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be worse.... you could have Jumping Asian Carp!! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: