Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Summer goals, new tricks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zee
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Summer goals, new tricks? Reply with quote

So maybe you don't ride with other girls to help push your riding when you're out on the boat, but you can do it here. What tricks are you working on now or hope to land by the end of your season? Anyone competing in events??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TravelJunkie

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so i've been riding for going on 3 summers now and I ride just for fun so pushing my self really isnt an issue. My goal for this summer is to jump the wake with out killing myself and to get a little air under my board. Very Happy
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: NYC

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on the forum, Zee!

Working on my frontside 180's, improving my switch riding, getting over the mental block that keeps me from going w2w toeside, and backrolls.

Should have competed in the Wakesports event yesterday at Mission Bay since there was only one person in Women's Intermediate, but I was a scaredy cat. I will definitely compete at their next event in July.
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: England

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been ridin for bout year now, i just ride for fun, when i can
but i love it!!!

Zee
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Thanks Lyndsay, however I did nothing to create this forum, it was someone else's idea and all of Pat's work, so thank them! Lyndsay, riding switch will definitely help you land your 180s!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: England

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thanx Zee
Grouch
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: The OC

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pat for creating this place for us girls to talk about girl wakeboarding stuff. Very Happy

J.L.A. is Snowboarding
Grouch
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: The OC

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My summer goals are to work on my tan and get some wakeboarding in.

J.L.A. is Snowboarding
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxy Girl, you're pretty tan already. Melanoma's gonna getcha. And you definitely need to work on your riding.
DaveBrowning
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: The 'boro

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure Roxy Girl... I have to start laying out more so when I go out on the boat all the boys when think I'm like for sure hot! Razz
Premier135Chick

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal this summer is to learn how to drive a boat and pull riders. One of my girlfriends has her own boat and has been teaching me the last three weeks. There is something to be said about knowing how to drive the boat. I feel so much more useful.

As for tricks, I am working on my grabs again-making them bigger. Getting closer to jumping the wake toe side and my surface 180's. Once the sliders look more stable, I want to start hitting those too.
Zee
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premier135Chick, sounds good. I think it's important to know how to drive at least to help out because not everyone wants to be stuck driving all day long. On that note, we were pulling out of Orwood this weekend and this girl pulled a boat off the trailer and attempted docking or nosing up to the dock about 12 times without success, it was amusing... that is until she tried docking next to my buddy's Super and that's when we pulled away. Also, I gave that step up slider at Orwood a shot last year two times, hehehe let's just say the pics look like I'm about to die but luckily didn't hurt myself.
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: OR/WA

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to work on riding switch and my toeside w2w jumps. I also want to beable to do either a 360 or a invert by the end of the season.
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad my friend taught me how to drive a boat/pull a rider. Makes me much more marketable as a third. All I need to learn now is backing a trailer and I will be the perfect third.
Funkster
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Sea-town

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ride with to chics on a regular basis. They are alway's fun to have on the boat. Bonnie is really into boarding and show's no fear. She went for the slider the first week after we where done with it and took alittle digger. Then she was going for a simple w2w and came down wrong and hit her chin with her knee. She got into the boat spitting out teeth. I think she broke all 4 of her mollar's(sp??) and 2 others. The crazy thing about it is she wanted to stay in the boat and watch everyone ride after that.

Zee,I have seen some of your vids and you delta girls rip!!

A-town army reppin' to the fullest....holla.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to say that its cool when girls get involved, and lately ive seen a lot of all girl boats.
p-chick you better start putting some videos on wakepics/media center! you too Zee! you can make it one of your summer goals.

hypeRLiteDivinE

City: Tracy/ Disco NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im working on my w2w's and trying to add some grabs in there while im at it... Cool
Dave Barousse
Addict
Addict

City: Eugene

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also very cool for you guys to learn how to back the boat down the boat ramp. I was a little nervous letting my wife do it the first few times, but she learned pretty quick. It was a huge help after she got it down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zee
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkster, thanks and speaking of girls ripping on the Delta...

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=2220

Scott a, I am in quite a few videos on Wakepics.com and I made my first one after our March Birthday trip too, but I'm waiting until I land something new to make another. There are a few girls who ride up in Tahoe that kill it, I would love to get footage of them and just collaborate to make one big video but I don't get up there much anymore.

Dave, I totally agree and I know that Tina Bessinger's clinics included wakeboard instruction as well as boat driving and trailering too but I don't know if she's still running those.
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok so i've been riding for going on 3 summers now and I ride just for fun so pushing my self really isnt an issue. My goal for this summer is to jump the wake with out killing myself and to get a little air under my board.

Amen to that. I just learned to butterslide & go switch, had a couple of nasty faceplants last week learning to surface switch - one was so bad I swear my eyelids were peeled back off my face. Confidence is not high right now. Gonna go out tomorrow, give it another go.

As far as driving, it's my boat & do the teaching & almost all of the driving (unless I'm riding, of course). Very Happy

To all that had a hand in the creation of this forum, thank you so much.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zee wrote:
There are a few girls who ride up in Tahoe that kill it, I would love to get footage of them and just collaborate to make one big video but I don't get up there much anymore.

i know one or two girls that came down from tahoe for the gowakin girls event, and they were pretty good. if you want i can see if i can get you in touch with them? i know they said they wanted to come back down and ride again...

Zee
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. What were their names, do you remember?
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember a girl named jessica ("jess_p" on wakeworld), and im pretty sure there was another girl but i really cant remember.
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been driving boats since I was like 14, I pull my friends wakeboarding all the time. I want to learn to back the trailer, so I can take the boat places by myself sometimes. But I don't think my parents trust me with their truck and boat Very Happy
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to learn to back the trailer, so I can take the boat places by myself sometimes.

Grace B.,

If you want to learn to do this, tell your parents. Yeah, it may take some convincing, but if you've been driving the boat then this is the next logical step, & by having them teach you they will be able to see your progress & it should help to (eventually) inspire some confidence in your abilities. (Even if it's a long time before they let you take the boat & trailer on your own, you're still ahead of the game because you'll know how to do this. It's an important skill to have even if you don't own a boat.) You don't need to go to the ramp to do it, in fact I would recommend against that for now. Get your Mom or Dad to take you to an empty parking lot - somewhere with a lot of room to maneuver & practice, practice, practice. Remember to use your mirrors (don't turn around to look at the boat) & that the rear of the trailer will always go in the opposite direction that you turn the steering wheel. Good luck.
DaveBrowning
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to be landing the tantrum. Rolling Eyes
brwkbrdr09

City: Washington

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: goals Reply with quote

So this summer i decided that i would jump w2w. Its goin. BUT the other has become a challenge. Switch! Ive just been getting up regular(i ride goofy) but it is soo weird and i dont know what to do. I try getting my board to stay straight but i fall. I try to just ride it at the angle its going and i fall. Do i just get used to it and become more comfy in riding that way or am i going about it all wrong?? Anyone have any advice???!
DaveBrowning
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and maybe tantrum 2 blind too. Twisted Evil Laughing
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're not really on edge and probably not putting enough weight on your back foot so the fins aren't digging in. Your weight should be distributed evenly, whether your riding regular or goofy. For getting more comfortable with switch, drop your back hand and surf around inside the wake. Once you feel good about that, put your back hand back on the handle and cut outside the wake on your heelside and surf around some more. Once that's comfortable, try toeside. Switch toeside is the hardest edge to master. One of the coaches at TWC recommended warming up at the beginning of each set by riding switch as a way to get more comfortable and force yourself to practice before you have fun with the rest of your set.
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brwkbrdr09,

What Lindsay said. The only thing that is going to make you more comfortable riding switch is lots of practice. Follow what she said above & take it in baby-steps - that is, don't try too much at one time. Get comfortable with what you're doing before you move on to something new. Use those edges, they are your friends!
brwkbrdr09

City: Washington

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be to my advantage to just ride switch until i get it down or does it not really matter?
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what makes you happy. The best wakeboarder is the one having the most fun.
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would it be to my advantage to just ride switch until i get it down or does it not really matter?

That's up to you. Remember, this is about having fun, right? As soon as it becomes work, then what's the point? We've all got enough of that. What I usually do is ride switch (like Lindsay said) near the beginning of a run, when I'm not so tired & can really focus on what I'm doing. Then I turn around & have some fun.

If you want to be able to turn around at will while you're up, try using the butterslide. Some may disagree with me on this, but I found it much easier to get my board around using that trick.

EDIT: Damm, she beat me to it!
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Lucy. I'm going to try and get my parents to let me practice, my dad is okay with it, but my mom is freaked out that I'm going to wreak or something, LOL! But the parking lot thing sounds like a good idea.
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace B.,

Sounds like your Dad should be the one to do the teaching, your Mom will probably just make you nervous & that's the last thing that you need in that situation (read, she probably shouldn't even go with you guys).

Keep us posted on how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: