Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

[Video] How can I improve my pop?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kronoss

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: [Video] How can I improve my pop? Reply with quote

Here is a video of me jumping, how can i get any higher than this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8dJB_S1JA

I got the whole motion, tension, stand tall, etc. But it just seems its not enough.
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont flatten out before you hit the wake just keep your edge building up, and tuck up both feet while you're in the air for stylepoints. that's all i can give you! others should be of more help..

Last edited by da Liks on Jul 04, 2011 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set your body position before you cut into the wake, stand tall and focus on a progressive edge.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

da Liks wrote:
... tuck up both feet while you're in the air for stylepoints...

Don't do this (at least not quite yet). This has the potential to buid a bad habit of not getting the full energy out of the wake by preventing you from "standing tall" at the wake. Before focusing on doing anything in the air, make sure you're consistantly clearing the wake in what's called a "dead sailor" stance. that is, legs straight (only bend them when you are about to land and absorb the other wake) arms in front of you and near your hips. Then, once you land, make sure you continue your heelside edge until you're set up for a toeside jump. Even if you're not comfortable trying toeside jumps yet, this will get you in to a great habit for the future.
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take:
1) Handle positioning-Don't keep your arms straightened out, keep em slightly bent and try to hold the handle to your hip as best as possible.
2) Progressive edge-You're losing the line tension you've built up about a foot and a half to two feet from the wake from cutting too hard too soon. Make sure you take a nice easy edge into the wake hitting your hardest most aggresive cut right at the wake.
3) "Standing up"-Make sure you're waiting until the peak of the wake to extend your legs to maximize your height.

What kind of board are you riding?
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ this.
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I just noticed watching the video again is it looks like you go to stand up and right at the top of the wake, at the last second where you need to be basically standing straight up, you start to bend your right knee to pull it up and it's also causing your left knee to bend and absorb some of the wake.

How long of a line, what kind of a boat are you using, and how fast do you ride?

I ask because I normally ride behind an 05 X-2 and ride out at 60-65 feet or so, but I occasionally have to ride behind an 03 ProStar 197 with a fat sac and have to shorten my line up to 50 feet in order to hit the fattest part of the wake. Looks like your line length may be a little long for the sweet spot on that wake at that current speed. You're hitting the wake and it's already curling on you, could also just be from the positioning of any boat riders. Try shortening your line up like 5 feet or so if you're not already hella close.
Kronoss

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ride behind a 21ft sea ray, shortening the rope a bit sure did help a bit, im doing wake to wake better now, but i still need to work on my standing tall piece, because im going far, but not up.

Thanks for the tips, they sure helped!
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The going far and not up part is a result of how you're hitting the wake. To increase your heighth, you're gonna want to basically hit the wake on a flat board rather than on one of your edges as you're coming into it. Getting down the timing of standing tall will also help your vertical pop.

Also, if you're riding a board with a continuous rocker you'll find that you need to throw a lot more weight into the wake in order to get the same pop you would from a board that had a 3-Stage rocker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: