Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Critique Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhackedRampage
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Critique Please Reply with quote

Okay, it's been about 7 months since I last wakeboarded so I'm a bit rusty, but I am having a really hard time getting big pop. I feel like I am edging through the top of the wake, but when I watched myself on video, I let off my edge and I suck up my knees at times (so I don't really stand up tall). I am not afraid to go big, but I don't understand why I don't stand up tall / edge through the wake.

Does anyone have any tips for me as to what I can do to somehow "force" myself to stand up tall and edge through the wake? As I said, I'm not afraid to go big or anything, I just don't know what's causing me to let off my edge and stuff Sad. Here's the video (quality is low because I saved as wrong output in movie maker):

Also, any other issues with my riding you see let me know. I know I'm rusty, so don't feel bad if you tell me I'm terrible because I know I am right now lol.

Last year I was actually getting some pretty good air:

Thanks!!
b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Salem-ish

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to make your knees ridgid at the wake, otherwise they'll work like shocks and suck up all the force that you're trying to create (and taking upwards).

One other thing I should mention, your video is probably misleading you based on where you're at this year from where you were last year. The vantage point of the camera is completely different, and its going to look like you're getting a lot less air because its looking down at you from the tower.

We've got a buddy that goes with us just to photograph/shoot video and we're constantly begging him to stop trying to shoot all his stuff standing on the seats haha.
BrianABE
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, that water is butter...
WhackedRampage
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where should I stand up tall? Should I stand up tall starting at the bottom of the wake and rise up the wake then fully stand up or should I stand up tall at the top of the wake?

Also, I will try and get a closer camera view next time Smile.

Thanks again!
hyperlite11

City: Athens

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more of a motion beginning at the bottom of the wake and progressively rising through the wake, standing tall at the top if that makes sense. Also try to keep the rope close to your front hip. This will make it easier to edge through the wake and get better pop
JoLo_Si
Criminal
Criminal

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in the same spot this season because I didn't get to ride much last year so I lost all my progression. I took a couple lessons and waiting a half second longer to stand tall has really helped me over the hump. My coach pointed out that I was definately jumping off of the base of the wake instead of the top of it. When I keep the handle in tight to my lead hip and stand later than I think I can/should it makes all the difference in height and balance.

It's so much more fun to ride when you feel like your moving forward instead of backward. Very Happy
JoLo_Si
Criminal
Criminal

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in the same spot this season because I didn't get to ride much last year so I lost all my progression. I took a couple lessons and waiting a half second longer to stand tall has really helped me over the hump. My coach pointed out that I was definately jumping off of the base of the wake instead of the top of it. When I keep the handle in tight to my lead hip and stand later than I think I can/should it makes all the difference in height and balance.

It's so much more fun to ride when you feel like your moving forward instead of backward. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: