Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Completely lost doing hs flips/backrolls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam355
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Completely lost doing hs flips/backrolls Reply with quote

I am trying to learn to invert and figured the hs backroll would be the easiest place to start. Anyways I am completely lost and to make things worse I have never been able to flip my entire life. When I was a kid I landed on my head attempting a trampoline flip and was scared of them since.

I can do huge w2w's extremely well but when I try to do a backroll I just kind of a flop over. Sometimes I'll just spin horizontally... I even have the book dvd and I still cant get it straitened out. If there is any advice you guys could give me to get this corrected/started I would really appreciate it. Its time I get over this hump!
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You using load and release? If you do, it pretty much forces you to do the flip. Now landing it...well that's another thing Smile.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam355, See if you can get a few on camera and we might be able to help better. If you're following the Book, you should be doing ok.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it really doesn't click you might first want to try another invert. Do some backflips off a divingboard and go for the tantrum. Or subscribe to learnwake.com. Their method to build up to the backroll is superextensive, which for your case might be perfect. It even starts with an on-land practice first to get a feel for the rotation.
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With what you said about doing flips the backroll will probably be your easiest invert to learn. For me, it was the Tantrum because I've been diving and doing flips on a trampoline for most my life. I feel more comfortable doing a laid out backwards rotation and it comes more naturally than what a backroll does. Your best bet is gonna be to either subscribe to learnwake, or pick up Detention 2012 or The Book and follow their instructions.
adam355
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I will try to give it a shot tonight with some video and report back.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to get comfortable flipping. Start with a diving board just doing a back-flip. Get to where you're comfortable.

A backroll is easy to initiate, you basically just lean towards the tail as your coming up the wake.

adam355
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
I would try to get comfortable flipping. Start with a diving board just doing a back-flip. Get to where you're comfortable.

A backroll is easy to initiate, you basically just lean towards the tail as your coming up the wake.

I would like to go that route but honestly not fond of going to a public pool swarmed with people to practice back flips... No access to a trampoline either...
slidin_out
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pearl

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice flipping off the back of the boat instead of a diving board, just make sure you have good traction on the sundeck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: