Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Louisiana Spring Fling.......original formula
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

City: Funroe, LA

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Louisiana Spring Fling.......original formula Reply with quote

That's right folks........Louisiana Spring Fling is coming back to Funroe (aka Monroe by the locals) this summer and we're hoping for an old skool reunion. The date is set for the weekend of June 14-16. The sponsor list and other event details are still in the works, but it's looking as though this year will bring back the vibe that was associated with LSF's in the past.
Once more details are established, I'm sure an official "press release" will be issued.........................

MrShelley

City: Kilgore, TX

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! The first LSF was a blast!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisiana Spring Fling... dude that was Wakelist material. Cool to see it's still around!
Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, haven't heard the term "Wakelist" in a while.

In an effort to hijack my own post, let's see how much old skool wakeboard lingo we can come up with; in a way, celebrating 15 years of Louisiana Spring Fling success. I've already changed my "signature" to represent what once was.

So, children, go wake up your parents and ask them to give you some term, company name, product name, or whatever that related to wakeboarding years ago.

I'll start it off by mentioning Louisiana's original and premier wakeboarding website - Krookedminds.com

And the ever ageless - Y2KP (c'mon Ed, bring back the Y2KP decals for LSF'13).

FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wake up and smell the cheese? No idea what it was from anymore. First thing that popped up though.
Glass & Powder, RIP.

Not much yet, but fun game Smile

fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Benton, AR

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Byerly and Gator riding the Wake Tech Flight 69 boards.
They even had their own 'Flight 69' hand gestures.
I wanted one of those boards so bad!

Seeing lots of pros at LSF in the late 90's and early 2000s was cool.
Gator, Chase H, Parks Bonifay, Greg Nelson, Johnny King, David Isaacson, etc...

FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha speaking of Johnny King and David Isaacson; they once did a clinic in the Netherlands. Awesome seeing them ride. They also had to do a little "product presentation" for O'Brien. Both could barely speak, because they just were too stoned. Strong weed in Holanda
Mr. Green

Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many old-timers remember watching the Sea-Doo Wakeboard Series on ESPN's Hot Summer Nights?

Yes, kids, some of the earliest pro wakeboard events were pulled with a Sea-Doo, and they weren't hitting rails.

Fropappy, LOL, I too used to dream of owning a Flight 69. I still have my first wakeboard, an HO "HyperLite" Tech Series Skurfer.

core-rider
Addict
Addict

City: Huntsville, AL

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss going to LSF so much! Great times... went in 2000 and 2002. Saw a 2002 SANTE there that looked just like the boat on the cover of CC's catalog that year. Inspired me to order my boat with a minor color scheme change. I would be all about coming back this year if I didn't already have 2 events wake events planned the 2 weeks after LSF dates. Good luck with the event this year and I hope to make it next year!

--Southern Fried--
fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the first LSF, but made the rest through 2003
Good times.

Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fropappy wrote:
I missed the first LSF, but made the rest through 2003
Good times.

You forgot to add, "and I now plan upon returning for 2013." Cool

fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a website?
Update on sponsors, etc?

Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, there is no official website other than the FB page, https://www.facebook.com/events/440771159335854/?fref=ts. I will ask Nick to update the sponsor list asap.

Last edited by Adrenaline_OD on Mar 29, 2013 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
wakerack

City: Montgomery

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's it take to become a sponsor?
Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any and all sponsorship offers will be entertained.

For more information, contact "Nick" by emailing swampsport@yahoo.com with your product or service information; or send a request to me through this site and I can give you his phone number for direct conversation.

Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, the official sponsor list is as follows:
Louisiana Wake Sports
Moon Lake Marina
B&L Marine
Swamp Sports

Other offers are currently being reviewed and finalized.

fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared the event on my FB page and invited a few peeps.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about the good ol days all the time.. Smile

I have not been to an LSF since 2000. The first few LSF events were really some of the best weekends I can remember.

However...I still get to see some of the people that I met at LSF events and every once in a while I will get an order from someone that I have met because of LSF. Makes my day when someone puts in the comments something about the good ol days.

Might have to check the schedule this year and see if that is something I can do.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fropappy wrote:
I shared the event on my FB page and invited a few peeps.

Thank you, Fro.

Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
I think about the good ol days all the time.. Smile

I have not been to an LSF since 2000. The first few LSF events were really some of the best weekends I can remember.

Might have to check the schedule this year and see if that is something I can do.

Really hope you can make it to this one, and possibly more in the future. The entire goal of this LSF is to bring back the good times had in the earliest events.

fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be on a cruise to the Bahamas the first week of June.
I may come down with a few guys from Magnolia and Texarkana anyway.
Glad we had this much notice!

fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would give this one a bump.
fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready for some river riding!

Photos from LSF 2003

Miles doing whatever he wants. (easily)

Pics of the butta

fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and young Robert S. hanging out at the vendor tents.

Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics, Fro. Looking to bring some of that vibe back to LSF.
wakedork
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntsville, Alabama

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some blasts from the past.

Marty McFly

Clay McCoy

Chris Patterson

That bald guy a couple of posts ago.

Oh how I miss the Wakelist. Wish i could make it back to LSF but it's too close to Spring2Summer tourney here.

When I die, I want to die like my grandmother, who died peacefully in
her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car.
Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of some of those old "blasts from the past", I was asked by this year's organizer to write a brief history of LSF; focusing on how it was originated. I realize that there are many, many people who worked diligently behind the scenes to help make it happen year after year; myself being one of those for a few years. I did not mention them in this history for fear of leaving anyone out. Any corrections, comments, or additions will be welcomed. So, without further hesitation, here it is, LSF History 101:
Louisiana Spring Fling, Louisiana’s original grassroots wakeboard festival, will mark its 15th anniversary this year. LSF, as it’s often referred, is a yearly event that supports and promotes all that wakeboarding represents. It’s an event geared toward socializing, free-riding, and even some friendly competition along the way. Although there have been a few changes over the years, LSF’s purpose has remained the same, wakeboarders getting together to meet new friends, hang-out with old friends, and shred the waters of The Bayou State.
LSF had its humble beginning in 1998 when Monroe area wakeboarders, Marty “McFly” Head and Chris Patterson first conceived the idea. Marty and Chris were active in an online forum known as Wakelist. Wakelist was the go-to internet forum for all that was wakeboarding at that time. Early in the year of 1998, the topic of spring riding came up. Marty and Chris noted that in their hometown of Monroe, Louisiana existed the Ouachita River and that most locals are riding sans wetsuits generally by the first week in April. The idea of riding so early piqued the interest of many riders from other areas to such an extent that they became interested in towing their boats to Monroe in order to do some early season riding. Seeing this, the guys posted an invite to come ride. Their “inboxes” soon filled up with people wanting more information and a date of when they could come. With so much interest being shown, Mary and Chris decided to form an actual event, an event they would call Louisiana Spring Fling.
Over the next few years, capitalizing on the idea of early springtime wakeboarding, LSF grew by leaps and bounds. LSF featured every level of rider conceivable from those first introduced into wakeboarding through LSF to professional level riders. From early on, LSF included best trick double-up contests. These were casual events, not for the sake of competition, but as a way to force riders to co-mingle and form new friendships, some of which have lasted for over a decade. From 1998-2001, Louisiana Spring Fling was held at Moon Lake, a cove off of the Ouachita River in Monroe, LA with Moon Lake Marina serving as the hub of the event.
Marty eventually moved out of the Monroe area to pursue his career and Chris gained other interests that took his focus away from wakeboarding for a while. In 2002, Jeff Southworth, another Monroe area wakeboard enthusiast took the reigns. Under Jeff’s control, LSF initially continued to see growth. In 2002, Jeff moved the venue of LSF from Moon Lake in Monroe, LA to LaZarre Park in West Monroe. This change in venue allowed for better sponsor displays and vendor tents.
Louisiana Spring Fling 2003 was the largest Louisiana based wakeboard gathering to date. Riders from states away made their way to Monroe/West Monroe for that event. LSF’03 was host to several professional riders including but not limited to Parks Bonifay, Keith Lyman, Erik “Gator” Lutgert, and Leslie Kent. Wakeboard boats packed the beach. Wakeboarders packed the tents. In 2003, the economy was doing well and wakeboard related companies were heavily promoting events such as LSF.
Jeff Southworth began to lose his enthusiasm for wakeboarding. In 2004, LSF was moved back to its home at Moon Lake and was grossly downsized. In 2005, with little forewarning, Clark Dudley took upon the responsibility of organizing the event in an effort to keep going what had been started years prior. Clark lived many hours away, out of state, and found it somewhat difficult to organize and plan such an event without having the local ties that previous organizers enjoyed.
John Melton, from New Orleans, organized LSF 2006. John and LSF’06 saw many setbacks with creating a successful event. John was owner of New Orleans Boardsports and Melton Marine of New Orleans. John saw his business ruined by hurricane Kartina months prior to Louisiana Spring Fling 2006. He put those problems behind him as much as possible and began planning LSF’06. Instead of the traditional double-up contest, John, along with help from friends, built a rail and planned a rail-contest to be featured at the event. The rail contest was a success, but Mother Nature spoiled LSF that year. Rain and record low temps prevented many from attending. Most attendees were local riders and a few other diehard LSF fans.
In 2007, the US Army Corps of Engineers closed the Moon Lake boat launch for repairs. A new venue was now forced upon whoever took the reigns of Louisiana Spring Fling. Mike Parich, Jr. was eager to take upon that task. In 2007, organized by Mike Parich, Jr., Louisiana Spring Fling was moved from its home in Monroe, LA to Henderson Swamp, just east of Lafayette, LA.
Louisiana Spring Fling remained in the Lafayette area from 2007-2012. Although the venue had some slight variations over those years, LSF was primarily centered around Henderson Swamp and the nightlife offered in and around Lafayette.
Now, for 2013, Louisiana Spring Fling will be celebrating its 16th event by returning to its roots. Under the direction of Nick McDonald, LSF’13 will be back in Monroe, LA and is expected to rival some of the largest LSF’s to date.

Clendenininin

City: Memphis

PostPosted: May 20, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have to round up the rest of the White Trash Wakeboard Team (WTWT) for this one! Hows that for throwback lingo?
indemand12

City: hattiesburg

PostPosted: May 21, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2005 Luke Williamson was also invaluable in the planing of that years spring fling, we also tried to focus on having fun and hanging out with all of our friends that are spread out through the southeast. Most of the friends I have through wakeboarding came from lsf, and try to still try to keep track of many of them through Facebook, Instagram, etc. lsf help the south east and many local riders get on the map, I often try to remember the good times had there by all. Thanks to everyone who has done there part to keep alive such a great event. Also Gary Morrison and his successor at hyperlite Jeremy Baker were always around and helped get many of the pros involved with the event.
I hope this year will be success and it will be a success for years to come.
fropappy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 21, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be here before we know it!
Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 22, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clendenininin wrote:
May have to round up the rest of the White Trash Wakeboard Team (WTWT) for this one! Hows that for throwback lingo?

Very Happy
Earlier this month, my wife and I were taking the boat on a little road trip to a local lake. As we were arriving, I saw a little blue sign with a white travel trailer on it. Of course my reaction was, "Cool, WTWT is here!!" She had no clue what I was referring to.
Now, if you go and round up the WTWT, I fully expect to see the logo shaved into at least one head.

Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 22, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indemand12 wrote:
In 2005 Luke Williamson was also invaluable in the .................... Also Gary Morrison and his successor at hyperlite Jeremy Baker were always around and helped get many of the pros involved with the event.

Thanks for giving those guys recognition. So many people don't realize that the success of something like LSF hinges upon the support of those who are often never mentioned. I think Jeremy is planning upon attending this year's LSF; with plenty of Hyperlite gear to check out of course.

indemand12

PostPosted: May 22, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something like this???

image.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  66.46 KB
 Viewed:  24718 Time(s)

image.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  54.25 KB
 Viewed:  24718 Time(s)

Adrenaline_OD
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 23, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesss..............I was kinda hoping you would post a pic.

That, children, is true dedication.

indemand12

PostPosted: May 23, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find a shot of the other side that said WTWT, but you get the idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: