Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Boat to fit in garage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ls1gto

City: Cedar Hill TX

PostPosted: May 02, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Boat to fit in garage? Reply with quote

Wondering if any of you guys have a boat that fits in a reg 2 car garage leaving enough room to park a car next to it (not a dd). At least for the winter - Im really wanting to avoid paying $150+ per month for storage.

My door is about 6' 8" high. Garage is about 21 ft long but can be expanded to 23' if I relocate water heater.

Im wanting no larger than 20' boat with open hull that can sit 6 people comfortably. Prefer v, but can live with a d as well. Not more than $20k. With $25k being max if I find a v that I absolutely fall in love with.

Please post pics of your rigs inside the garage - we can never get tired of looking at boat pics. I thied to search but came up empty for the most part.
Dredd
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Wichita

PostPosted: May 03, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be a chore to get a ~20' boat and a car in a 23' double-garage. This is my 19'er in my garage. I was able to get a quad, 3 motorcycles, and two push lawn mowers in there with it.. which is an ish-ton of stuff.. but there was just no way to get a car in there with it.

garage.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  99.96 KB
 Viewed:  20223 Time(s)

mucksoup
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: eugene

PostPosted: May 05, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for a trailer that breaks at the hitch. that will give you 1-2ft less.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: May 05, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to have to look for something with a 19-20 foot length with a breakaway tongue. The 2 foot or so of platform will eat up the remaining length for the 23 foot garage. You also have to be careful of the height at the tower where it folds, because a lot of new boats aren't going to make that height restriction.

I would say you are probably going to have to look at older boats like a Mastercraft PS205. My 92 would have been real close to meeting the length/width requirements but I'm not sure about the door height. The legs of the tower at the break point would not clear a 6'8" door I don't think but one with a different tower setup may.
ls1gto

City: Cedar Hill TX

PostPosted: May 05, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 20 ft with break away tongue is what I have in mind. I also thought most platforms are easily removable.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 05, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, 20 ft with break away tongue is what I have in mind. I also thought most platforms are easily removable.

They're not. The platform on my 92 Mastercraft was somewhat easy. One person could do it without a whole lot of problem. The platform on my 07 Nautique was a b!tch. I could do it by myself, but it was a chore and I wouldn't recommend it. Two guys could do it easier, but it was still a pain. It was quite heavy, quite akward to deal with, and I don't think they are meant to come on and off on a regular basis.
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 06, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned, look real close at the height of the tower when it's folded. 6'8" is not much to work with. Is that the height of the frame or the door?
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: May 08, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this old pic.

This is my 19.5' I/O parked in my standard sized 2-car garage. It sits on a single axle trailer with a folding tongue. As you can see, the boat is at an angle. With the tongue (and tower) folded it usually gives me 8-12" of clearance to close the door. There's room for a motorcycle/atv/jetski/riding mower etc. but definitely not enough room for a car.

Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: May 09, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Axis A20 will fit perfect in that garage. My friend Matt Bishop puts his A20 in his garage almost every night. I'm going to pm you a video of him dropping the tower and putting the boat in a standard size garage next to his wife's car.
3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: May 09, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 20'8" with extended swim platform and fold-away tongue. Still takes up 24' with outdrive down and tongue turned 90*.

2- car garage barn with 9' wide doors and 7' height...and 30' long garage.

Only had 2 inches on either side of the wheel wells, and wake tower had to come off. Collapsed it still sat too tall. Straight in it sits only a couple feet past the side door. Just wish I didn't have the height issue Sad

2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 09, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll find a wakeboat that would work. Maybe an 80s SN 2001. Nauty had a 17.6' boat and a 20 foot garage and he still had to put that thing in at an angle and take up 2 spots.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 09, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An Axis A20 will fit perfect in that garage. My friend Matt Bishop puts his A20 in his garage almost every night. I'm going to pm you a video of him dropping the tower and putting the boat in a standard size garage next to his wife's car.

Does he have a 6'8" door or is his door taller than that? I haven't seen too many boats on a tandem axle trailer with a tower that will fit under that size door. Generally the point where the tower folds over the legs is a problem. However, if the fold point is below the window than it probably would fit. I'm not as familiar with where they fold.

Length is what it is. It's either the right size or too long, and that's going to depend on the depth. I can't get my crew cab Z-71 in my garage without bumping right up against the wall, so most boats aren't going to fit in it length wise.
Frankieboie

City: Baton Rouge

PostPosted: May 09, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fit my Supra Conbrio (a Comp would be the same closebow) in my 20 ft garage. With a trailer that has a break away tongue you can close it all in there. Without the break away tongue you will have about 8 inches out.
chawk610
Addict
Addict

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: May 19, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little baby '83 stars and stripes fits in with a foot to spare.. but, I suppose it's a ski boat, not a wakeboat. I will say though, not a bad wake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: