Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New Dual battery setup with ACR and Switch - pics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 07, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: New Dual battery setup with ACR and Switch - pics Reply with quote

Check out my new install. Took me wayyy more than 1 hour which everyone quoted Smile.

See any problems with my hookup? I used marine cables for some, but had to resort to auto cables for others. Any problem with that or do I just gotta be extra careful now to keep it dry?

I had first tried a 80amp terminal fuse on a fuse block on the power wire coming from the switch to Batt #1, but it blew when I tried to turn over the engine. So then I tried an in-line 100amp fuse...it blew too. Then went to a 150amp and seems to work fine.

Could it be that when I crank the engine, the current is over 100 amps? My starter battery has 685 cranking amps and about 140 amp-hours.
The ACR instructions had a confusing chart that seemed to recommend an 80 amp fuse based on my alternator charging amps of about 60 amps. It seems strange I've had to go above a 100amp fuse to get it to stop blowing.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: May 08, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's realy hard to follow a picture that's not labelled and where you've used a mix of Red/Black cables for different purposes.

I'd liketo help but this is a way over complex install for what you were looking to achieve.

Literally all you needed was to leave the original battery install as it was, put a another battery next to it. Run a ground cable between the neg posts and then run a power wire between the pos posts with one of these in it:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/180-100A-12V-Split-Charge-Relay-100-AMP-12-V-180-kit-/270692708591

Install a 60 amp fuse in that power cable. Ground the relay to either neg battery neg post and give it a turn on signal from an ignition source.

Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 08, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brit. I think you're right. Instead of fusing the power wire to Batt #1, I should have fused the power wire from Batt #1 to the ACR.
MobiusLSV

PostPosted: May 10, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of reworking the entire stereo system and electronics. I just finished a custom electronics panel (minus a couple small wires) to include a Blue Seas ACR setup which I've been running for over a year now. Their wiring diagram is confusing but in your typical install you need to fuse both leads from the ACR to the battery. I run thermal breakers as their resetable. With 80 charging amps, 4 gauge wire with 150 amp fuse/breakers is recommended. As I now run an onboard charger the wiring is different but you can still see the leads to the fuses then to the batts.
Pop Addict
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 11, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MobiusLSV, nice setup. I'm going to fuse the red wire from the right side of my ACR to the battery on the right with an in-line fuse. I'm using a terminal fuse on the wire coming from the left side of my ACR to the battery on the left (I know...I used black wire instead of red but that's all I could get my hands on!). What are your thoughts on terminal fuses? Those are damn expensive, and if I had it to do over I would have just done an in-line fuse there too.
MobiusLSV

PostPosted: May 11, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters what type of fuse you use as long as you meet the proper rating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: