Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Nikon vs. Canon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Nikon vs. Canon Reply with quote

I've been wanting to get a decent dslr for years now and have never pulled the trigger. I was sold on Canon years ago and was interested in the 20D, 30D, 40D, etc line.

Now that I finally have a real reason (and money) to get one, I've been reading a lot of opinions about Nikon over Canon. I realize this is kind of a "which board is best" kind of question but are there any real advantages of one over the other or is it really a ford vs. chevy thing? Have any of you switched from one to the other? What was your deciding factor?

Thanks in advance.

DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finkle, I think at this point it really is more of a Ford vs. Chevy personal decision. Best advice is to go and check out both Nikon and Canon, play with the manual controls and see what system feels more intuitive for you. You also might consider what kinds of lenses you want to use and what is available for each system.

Both systems definitely have their positives and negatives, but there's a reason why you don't see only huge black lenses or only huge white lenses at sporting events. Canon is not vastly better than Nikon and Nikon is not vastly better than Canon. With the right glass both platforms will be capable of shooting great images.

A great place to start also would be to check out the reviews on http://dpreview.com/. Also check out http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Comparison-Tools.aspx as a means of looking at the differences between bodies and high ISO noise etc.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...Ford vs Chevy. Anyone who has an extreme opinion probably isn't good at photography.

Go find a store and hold all of the cameras in your hand that you're interested in buying. The biggest difference IMO is in how the camera feels in your hand. Do your fingers like where the buttons are located? Is the camera body so small that your hand feels cramped? Is the viewfinder hard to read? These are the things that are most important.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pro photog friend of mine shoots both.

She's found nuances of each that merit their use. Little things, like focus in certain lighting, better control for this or that.

So, as hard as she's tried to give up one or the other (for $ savings if nothing else), she just can't bring herself to do it.

So, go forth and play with both. You'll know what you like better.

And as Scott mentioned - if someone has an extreme opinion either way should probably be ignored.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Dante2004

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DRAGON88I think at this point it really is more of a Ford vs. Chevy personal decision. [/quote]

Came in here to post that.

What is your budget? For someone starting off, you can get into a pretty nice "starter kit" in the $600-$800 range that should be more than enough until you get the basics down.

My advice...

-Determine your budget
-Determine what the purpose of this camera will be. No need to over buy! If you're just going to take pictures around the house, you don't need three lenses and a $1500 body (as an example)
-Go to a store that sells both...prefferably a store that sells multiple brands so that there isn't a bias. Camera store, not Best Buy (or similar) where they push whatever brand has a promo that month.
-Establish which line of Canon and Nikon fits your needs AND your budget, then compare the two side by side
-Pick them up and hold them in your hands. Where are the controls located. Can you easily reach them easily? Does the menu on one just make "more sense" than the other?

If you are a true noob, you probably don't have any lenses from prior cameras, so that isn't an issue. But for others that come in to read this thread, it might be something you want to consider.

I can't think of any technical spec where one camera is superior to the other...at the level that would effect a beginning photographer at least. At this point you are so far from having your ability exceed that of your camera, I wouldn't worry about it. We've all been there before. You go on these boards and read about these awesome (and expensive) DSLR cameras and then we start to believe that spending $1000+ on gear will make us a good photographer. Just pick something that fits your budget and go out and shoot. If you like this hobby, this will NOT be your last purchase. So don't kid yourself into thinking "if I just buy something a little nicer, I won't outgrow it in a year". Don't buy a piece of junk or a P&S and you will be fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: